Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-20-2010, 12:53 PM   #1
Ray A from PA

Default F150 tranny with overdrive

Tell me more about the F150 tranny with overdrive. What year, how much is involved to install, what has to be done to it, who does the preperation, and whatever else one should know if they are interested in installing it. Thanks Ray
Ray A from PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 02:01 PM   #2
Logan

Default Re: F150 tranny with overdrive

Your gonna have to make an adapter plate, cut part of the cross member, shorten the drive shaft, cut new hole in floorboard for shifter, and im sure im forgetting one or two other little things. But its well worth all the work. With a good engine there is no reason why you couldnt run at 60-65 mph.
Old 06-20-2010, 02:02 PM   #3
Logan

And gary bernard from ft.worth makes an excelent conversion kit. There is atleast 50 of his transmitions running around Dallas & Ft. worth and havent heard a complaint yet
Old 06-20-2010, 02:39 PM   #4
john in illinois

Dave Delmue makes a drop in kit. No cutting of crossmember,or cutting of brake cross shaft. He uses an AA bellhousing which is shorter. He supplies every part ready to bolt in. I have one and really like it. Available in several overdrive ratios. I have a 23%.

http://modelaonly.com/home
john in illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 03:00 PM   #5
john in illinois

Here is a try at a photo

Old 06-20-2010, 03:24 PM   #6
MAG

Talking Re: F150 tranny with overdrive

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
I installed one in my 30 Town Sedan and like it very much. In spite of what you hear, if a AA Bell Housing is used, no cuts are required on the crossmember. No modification of the brakes. The rear radius rods, drive shaft and torque tube must be shortened approximately 1 1/2 inches. considerable machine work and fabrication is required. If a kit with every thing requied is available it would make the job a lot easier.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Complete 1.JPG (123.0 KB, 2190 views)
File Type: jpg Complete 2.JPG (125.3 KB, 2343 views)
File Type: jpg Complete 3.JPG (125.3 KB, 1716 views)
File Type: jpg Complete 5.JPG (129.8 KB, 2747 views)
Old 06-21-2010, 12:30 AM   #7
Alan Riordan

have one of daves conversions in a 36 phaeton, very pleased with it.
Alan Riordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 12:29 PM   #8
AL in NY

To answer your question, the transmission you are looking for is out of an 84-87 Ford F150 2WD pickup with an inline 6 or small V8. It has a floor mounted shifter and the shift knob will have "OD" where the normal "4" would be in a normal "H" pattern 4 speed. Secondly, look at the left side of the transmission case. There should be a casting number "260XXXX". Third, on the right side of the transmission there should be a riveted metal tag with the first three letters "RTS" followed by two letters which will identify the OD ratio. See my chart below for the decoding.............Go to post #245 for missing photos

Last edited by AL in NY; 11-04-2016 at 07:59 PM.
AL in NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 02:22 PM   #9
Kirby1374

after reading the info and looking at the F150 trans installed I don't know which way I want to go. T5 or the ford tranny. Has anyone driven both? I mean driven one with the T5 and then one with the Ford. It sounds like the same amount of money. I know the guys on the HAMB favor the T5 and several Model A Tourers (is that a word?) prefer the Ford. Does the T5 have more of a high performance car feel vs. the Ford?
Thanks,
Kirby1374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 02:24 PM   #10
Kirby1374

Logan, do you have Gary Bernard's contact info?
Thanks
Aaron
Old 06-21-2010, 02:26 PM   #11
Kirby1374

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAG View Post
I installed one in my 30 Town Sedan and like it very much. In spite of what you hear, if a AA Bell Housing is used, no cuts are required on the crossmember. No modification of the brakes. The rear radius rods, drive shaft and torque tube must be shortened approximately 1 1/2 inches. considerable machine work and fabrication is required. If a kit with every thing requied is available it would make the job a lot easier.
Mag, What clutch/flywheel did you use?
Old 06-21-2010, 02:38 PM   #12
Logan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirby1374 View Post
Logan, do you have Gary Bernard's contact info?
Thanks
Aaron
If you email me at [email protected] i will give it to you
Old 06-21-2010, 03:27 PM   #13
MAG

Quote:
Mag, What clutch/flywheel did you use?
Kirby,
AA Bell housing, AA Throw-out Arm, AA Throw-out Collar, Model A Throw-out Bearing, Model A Flywheel, Model A Pilot Bearing, Model A Clutch Assembly, 49 Ford Clutch Plate, Model A U-joint,, Model A Gear Shift Lever.
Old 06-21-2010, 03:31 PM   #14
Kirby1374

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAG View Post
Kirby,
AA Bell housing, AA Throw-out Arm, AA Throw-out Collar, Model A Throw-out Bearing, Model A Flywheel, Model A Pilot Bearing, Model A Clutch Assembly, 49 Ford Clutch Plate, Model A U-joint,, Model A Gear Shift Lever.
Thanks!
Old 06-21-2010, 03:58 PM   #15
AL in NY

There are three fellows that make a bolt-in kit for the F150 OD conversion, Ken Parker, Dave Delmue and Gary Bernard. All three make a quality kit which comes with all parts needed for a bolt-in installation. Kits vary in price depending on the source, but generally the price is around $2800.00 plus or minus. Both Ken and Dave make kits using the "AA" bell housing. This keeps the new transmission in front of the brake cross-shaft and the mid-frame crossmember so there are no modifications to the cross-shaft and the crossmember only needs a very slight notch for clearance. Gary Bernard's kit uses the standard Model A bell housing which places the new transmission further back and requires a highly modified brake cross-shaft and the frame cross member has to be notched quiet a bit. All three kits require the driveshaft, torque tube and radius rods to be shorten. Ken Parker is in Van, TX, Dave Delmue is in San Jose, CA and Gary Bernard is in Ft. Worth, TX. If you would like any of their contact information, please email me............
Old 06-21-2010, 04:13 PM   #16
steve s

Quote:
after reading the info and looking at the F150 trans installed I don't know which way I want to go. T5 or the ford tranny. Has anyone driven both? I mean driven one with the T5 and then one with the Ford. It sounds like the same amount of money. I know the guys on the HAMB favor the T5 and several Model A Tourers (is that a word?) prefer the Ford. Does the T5 have more of a high performance car feel vs. the Ford?
Thanks,
I and several friends have the F150 and all love it. Another friend has the T5 and loves it. The major downside to the T5 I have heard is that it requires a brake modification; the brake mod that comes with the kit is reported to be woefully inadequate, such that you really must convert to hydraulics. If you haven't already done that and don't want to, my understanding is that the F150 is the way to go.

The other major T5 concern is the absence of the torque tube, which some feel plays a crucial structural role. On the other hand, T5'ers are happy.

My only regret about my F150 is that 1st and 2nd gear are the same as Model A stock; I wish they were higher. But, if I were seriously interested in optimizing gear ratios, I would have gotten a Mitchell gear splitter OD and had 6 gear ratios to play with--too many levers for my taste.

Steve
steve s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 04:15 PM   #17
Kirby1374

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve s View Post
I and several friends have the F150 and all love it. Another friend has the T5 and loves it. The major downside to the T5 I have heard is that it requires a brake modification; the brake mod that comes with the kit is reported to be woefully inadequate, such that you really must convert to hydraulics. If you haven't already done that and don't want to, my understanding is that the F150 is the way to go.

The other major T5 concern is the absence of the torque tube, which some feel plays a crucial structural role. On the other hand, T5'ers are happy.

My only regret about my F150 is that 1st and 2nd gear are the same as Model A stock; I wish they were higher. But, if I were seriously interested in optimizing gear ratios, I would have gotten a Mitchell gear splitter OD and had 6 gear ratios to play with--too many levers for my taste.

Steve
Thanks Steve. Sounds like then the T5 offers a little more as far as gear ratios are concerned.
Old 06-21-2010, 05:52 PM   #18
john in illinois

there are two first gear ratios for F150's.One is higher than stock model A. I have heard that first gear in a T-5 is too low for normal use,but I haven't driven one.Lots of variables.
Old 06-21-2010, 06:23 PM   #19
Ray A from PA

Thanks to all that took the time to answer my new thread on the F150 transmission. This Forum sure is full of QUALITY information for the asking. I have a lot of information to sift through before making a decision on which way to go. Thanks to all that gave me a piece of your thoughts.
Ray A from PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 06:34 PM   #20
steve s

Quote:
Originally Posted by john in illinois View Post
there are two first gear ratios for F150's.One is higher than stock model A. I have heard that first gear in a T-5 is too low for normal use,but I haven't driven one.Lots of variables.
AL's table was news to me. Great info, first time I've seen it in any of the many many F150 threads we've had over the years. However, it looks like the higher 1st/2nd ratios also give 38% OD--yikes! I've got a Brumfield head, but still, that seems pretty steep for a town sedan.

My recollection is that there are MANY gear sets available for the T5, but, then, consider the source. The low low would be dandy for parades, if that's your thing. Smart to keep researching.

Steve
steve s is offline   Reply With Quote