Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-17-2012, 09:03 PM   #1
B0B

Default LOST $$$ On Ebay Purchase

Back in July I purchased two stainless steel throttle and spark rods on Ebay . With all the activity ,club meetings and parades going on I set them on the work bench unopened until the end of august they looked great. I sent the seller good feedback on these. Then when I went to install them in the 29 Ford I find they are 3/8ths of an inch shorter than the originals and I cannot get the end piece or spring on . The rods ended flush with the fitting at the bottom and there was no room for the spring or little levers to go on. So I sent an Email to Sullivans garage and asked them about exchanging them and that I had the rods lying on the bench for quite awhile . I was told by Mark to return the rods to him and to attach the email to the rods so they would know about this and what to do. H said he would then send me longer rods. So I shipped them back to Sullivans over a month ago. Since then communication with Sullivans Garage has been very poor I have been told twice that the rods were to be shipped in "A couple of days " but nothing happens and my emails are ignored. Last week I sent an email and said "please just refund my $36.87 and I will just forget about it" There has been no reply . So I do not recommend buying parts from Sullivans garage their communication and follow up support is terrible . B0B in Michigan

Last edited by B0B; 12-17-2012 at 09:07 PM. Reason: typos
B0B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 09:17 PM   #2
Tom Wesenberg

Default Re: LOST $$$ On Ebay Purchase

I think I bought some part from Sullivan's Garage many years ago, but I've read about many problems with them.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 09:31 PM   #3
jr-41ford

I've heard unpleasant things about this seller.

Isn't he a "drop-seller?"
jr-41ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 10:02 PM   #4
sullivansgarage

Bob, one of my good customer just sent me your post and you are 100% correct, no excuse on my part . You did return the wrong size rods and as you stated I did not send the new set. The one thing good about me is that I always do the right thing. I have the rods and will send them out. Please look for a FULL refund check in the box as well for my error.

Again sorry Bob, and have a Merry Christmas!
Mark
Owner - Sullivans Garage.

ps- to reply to a couple other posts, we do stock over 3000 unique parts, rarely drop ship because most wholesalers dont do that for the vendors, in a pinch one will do it for us.

This week to let you know how i am servicing customers, I am working every night getting orders out for holiday gifts and sending about all of them priority delivery on my own dime to make sure people get them for Christmas... not because I am late, but because they are a little late in ordering. I'm in the shop packing right now...Check out the feedback the last couple weeks on Ebay for us... you'll feel better that I just mishandled Bobs order, not the 400 orders I shipped last week.
Thank you all for your continued support, and for the thousands of international customers who purchase from us each year.

I track all shipping and returns and last year had a less than .0042. less than 1/2 %.. i know this causes pain for customers and as one person says below there are several places to shop, so I try to stay very focused on service. Now on Ebay, I have my cell phone listed as well for customer contact.
Thank You

Mark
sullivansgarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 10:40 PM   #5
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by sullivansgarage View Post
Bob, one of my good customer just sent me your post and you are 100% correct, no excuse on my part . You did return the wrong size rods and as you stated I did not send the new set. The one thing good about me is that I always do the right thing. I have the rods and will send them out. Please look for a FULL refund check in the box as well for my error.

Mark

Well done Mark!!! It says alot to me that you would go public and admit a mistake and not only make good on it but go the extra mile!!!
Old 12-17-2012, 10:48 PM   #6
sullivansgarage

Mike, Thank you very much!
Have a Merry Christmas
Mark.
Old 12-17-2012, 10:56 PM   #7
al's28/33

This can happen with almost any on-line purchase and shipment. I have had good results from Mark Sullivan, Snyders, Brattons and all the rest. Every once in a while someone misses an email, a payment or merchandise even get switched. It's a chance we take with shipping and receiving! Thanks for coming thru Mark.
al's28/33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 11:00 PM   #8
sullivansgarage

Thank you Al ! You and Mike just made my day, I really appreciate the kind words and I will get Bob's order on track!
Merry Christmas!
Mark
Old 12-18-2012, 12:05 AM   #9
pooch

Same here, never again would I buy from Sullivan's.

Hr advertises a bit better price on SOME parts than other vendors.

Was quoted a shipping price for a lot of parts.

Accepted quote and paid.

Half the bits turned up.

It took a dozen emails to get a reply.

Got promised the rest and was still missing 2 parts.

He then complained it cost him so much more than quoted for shipping.

I said, that is your fault, to send it in THREE separate boxes.

Finally had to complain to my bank and ebay even though ti was way over the 42 days.

Finally got the last 2 bits .. took 6 months in total.

And I had to buy the last 2 bits earlier to finish job, so now have those 2 bits over.

NEVER AGAIN>
pooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 12:19 AM   #10
H. L. Chauvin

After being raised by self-employed parents, & after my being self-employed for 33 years, I have sincere & profound respect for "anybody" self-employed in "any" type of business, even more than ever, "today".

Many customers have no idea the numbers of after-hour hours to keep any busness going, large or small, with maintaining employee payrolls, overtime, FICA, insurance, endless IRS tax record keeping changing rules.

I often think how we are so blessed in this Model A hobby with having a wonderful Bert's, Bratton's, Synder's & many of the others fighting for us every day trying to keep us as content customers -- may God bless all of them!

Just my 2 cents.
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 12:49 AM   #11
CarlG

Quote:
Originally Posted by B0B View Post
... So I do not recommend buying parts from Sullivans garage their communication and follow up support is terrible . B0B in Michigan
I'll second that motion!
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 08:24 AM   #12
Ross/Kzoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by H. L. Chauvin View Post
After being raised by self-employed parents, & after my being self-employed for 33 years, I have sincere & profound respect for "anybody" self-employed in "any" type of business, even more than ever, "today".

Many customers have no idea the numbers of after-hour hours to keep any busness going, large or small, with maintaining employee payrolls, overtime, FICA, insurance, endless IRS tax record keeping changing rules.

I often think how we are so blessed in this Model A hobby with having a wonderful Bert's, Bratton's, Synder's & many of the others fighting for us every day trying to keep us as content customers -- may God bless all of them!

Just my 2 cents.
If you're in the business, then you're in the business. If it means additional employees, part or full time, you are competing with other businesses and that's what it takes. If you were in the trades you may decide to have 3 employees or 8-10 employees, only you know how many employees are feasible. I would think that the same would true for the mail order or any other business.
Ross/Kzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 08:38 AM   #13
c125bob

Good recovery, it's nice to see a man step up and do the right thing. Merry Christmas to all !
c125bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 11:13 AM   #14
CarlG

Quote:
Originally Posted by c125bob View Post
Good recovery, it's nice to see a man step up and do the right thing. Merry Christmas to all !
Now, if he follows through with it. With me he didn't.
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 01:59 PM   #15
Franchise_24

Quote:
Originally Posted by sullivansgarage View Post

Mark

ps- to reply to a couple other posts, we do stock over 3000 unique parts, rarely drop ship because most wholesalers dont do that for the vendors, in a pinch one will do it for us.

This week to let you know how i am servicing customers, I am working every night getting orders out for holiday gifts and sending about all of them priority delivery on my own dime to make sure people get them for Christmas... not because I am late, but because they are a little late in ordering. I'm in the shop packing right now...Check out the feedback the last couple weeks on Ebay for us... you'll feel better that I just mishandled Bobs order, not the 400 orders I shipped last week.
Thank you all for your continued support, and for the thousands of international customers who purchase from us each year.

I track all shipping and returns and last year had a less than .0042. less than 1/2 %.. i know this causes pain for customers and as one person says below there are several places to shop, so I try to stay very focused on service. Now on Ebay, I have my cell phone listed as well for customer contact.
Thank You

Mark

Very classy Mark. I'm glad to see you come here and make things right. That means a lot to a lot of people. Some people though you will never be able to please. Good work - Merry Christmas.
Old 12-18-2012, 02:32 PM   #16
H. L. Chauvin

Nothing wrong with being different & trying to help people who are just not perfect like most.

Looking carefully into their lives, they have their hidden battles & problems just like all of us.

When their problems are different from ours, we sometimes cannot see "their" problems as real problems. But one always has a choice to go somewhere else.

In spite of occasional misgivings, some are compassionate enough to enjoy helping others who "try" to help themselves; but, just cannot succeed on every occasion.
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 07:30 PM   #17
sullivansgarage

Thanks very much for all the kind posts about my reply to Bob and the many of you that have purchased from Sullivans Garage (me) and enjoyed the products, price and service.

I dont want this to sound lie a commercial at all, but do want to highlight of few ways I try and go above and beyond to service customers, because I do have a significant following and 80% of my customers are repeat.

On Ebay tonight I am just a couple ratings shy of 23,000 POSITIVE ratings , with 5 negative in the past 12 month. Thats not an easy accomplishment on ebay, plenty of people love to blast away so, I try very hard and really exceed in satisfaction there. It's not to say I dont make a mistake here and there, but if I do (like Bob's) I make it right. His correct rods are going out...we exchanged nice emails today.

A couple other points to make you understand what I do for customers and at a cost to me of time, but to help save them money. I ship a few thousand international orders per year and ONLY use USPS because they are 1/3rd to 1/2 the cost of UPS and Fed ex. That means either I stand in line early in the am or late at night, or my son or daughter, so our customers get these savings in shipping costs.

Last week I had a customer in New Zealand who wanted a 32 shell and insert, UPS was 285.00, USPS was 131.00. So, I took the time to make an odd ball custom box curved on the top and sides to keep it under the 108" max size, and stood in line to ship it for 131 VS 285.00, a great savings for him.

Check the current ratings this week for me on Ebay. The man from Germany purchased a suicide knob at 6pm.....needed it it 4 days, so I packed it at 630, got it to the PO before 7pm, and like he says " he shipped it within minutes" and he got it in time!

I am the guy who makes the Model A shock kits. Well a shop for me makes them and I am the distributor. Rather than send a box of nuts/bolts/brackets and shocks, I actually assemble them for my customers, so they can see how they go. Costs me a little more in time and packaging, but its worth it because the feedback is great.

This morning I took 2 model A steering wheels to the PO for a man in Australia..UPS shipping was 145.00, USPS was 79.00 - so I stood in line and he was thrilled...

One last one that might make you smile. I shipped a Ford Logo watch last week to a woman in IL, she had to have this for her husband for Christmas because he saw it and loved it. It was nice, leather band, silver face, Ford authorized, and my last one. Well, she got it and said it would not work, that is was junk and she "was so dissapointed in me"....well when a woman says that it's like a guy saying go......... Well she wanted a full immediate refund to avoid leaving negative feedback that night. I asked if there was a plastic plate on the side holding the winder out and it wasnt there, so the battery was just dead or at least I hoped. I asked her in her shopping this week if she would just stop in a jewler, see if it was just a bad battery and if so, I would cover all the costs. Well, she has a smile on her face tonight, I took care of the whole thing and she gave us great feedback on ebay... "honest she said"..

One last one because I saved Emanuels e/mail to me the other night, another Fortd Barn guy.... He ordered a banjo steering wheel from me, not on Ebay but on my other site. They are on a slight back order, he gave me a few days to get them in and I could not, which now pushed him against the wall for getting it in time for Christmas. He e/mailed me that he found one supplier that had just one left. I gave him a full refund for the one he ordered for me, and paid for 3 day delivery from the other dealer so he would get it in time for the holidays. The note he sent me was fantastic.

So unfortunately I do make an error here and there, but most would say I put customers first.

Merry Christmas to all.....now I have to go out in the garage to pack another 60 orders tonight to make sure they arrive in time for Christmas.
Motomters to Europe, headlights to South America, many orders to Australia, and loads all over te USA.

Thank you,
Mark
Old 12-18-2012, 07:39 PM   #18
sullivansgarage

Carl, if you want to give me a call, I'm happy to address any issue-
thanks
mark
603.321.0379 (cell)
Old 12-19-2012, 01:39 AM   #19
pooch

I bought from this guy off ebay and thru his store.

Saved him heaps on fees and I still got stuffed around for 6 months.

I wished I had of bought thru ebay so I could have given a negative.

Patting yourself on the back and pissing in your own pocket.
pooch is offline   Reply With Quote