Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-10-2021, 08:46 AM   #261
rotorwrench

Default Re: F150 tranny with overdrive

To go open drive, it takes more than just modification of the rear axle input. The rear axle will need suspension components to allow it to move but stay in the right place. This generally takes a new set of stronger radius rods to include a strong torque arm or a set of semi-elliptic leaf springs to hold the axle in position. This adds a lot of work to this type of modification. Keeping the old buggy type transverse spring saves a lot of further modification if a person can find the right machine shop, drive shaft shop, or kit fabricator to modify parts to work a torque tube.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 01:46 PM   #262
MALAK

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1_1950 View Post
I realize this is an ancient thread on the T170FT RTS. No where does anyone talk about shortening the output shaft for the torque tube adapter plate and universal. Are you all buying a kit that has the output shaft splined and cut and then re assembled back into the case? I understand that the torque tube, driveshaft, and radius arms need to be shortened. Any info appreciated on shortening the output shaft or does someone sell an already modified shaft? I have the 27% OD trans. Like to put it in my 30 Tudor.

Thanks, j
I am in the process of installing a T170 in one of my A's currently. I'm doing all the machine work/fabrication myself and documenting the process. Also, this trans will have the "Goldilocks" ratio mentioned on the Fordgarage website. This trans will have 3.01 first and 27.0% OD vs 3.25 first and 27.6%OD for the stock RTS trans. I'll probably have an extra output shaft or whole transmission (or 2) for sale, when done but not kits. Currently working on the trans outputshaft/torque tube interface. Once I get my numbers figured out I cut/re-spline the output shaft and while I have the mill set up I'll do at least a second and maybe a third shaft while I'm at it.
I did have a little bit of a setback (literally yesterday). I pulled the torque tube, driveshaft, and pinion, and well, see the pictures. I wasn't expecting to have to rebuild the rear end. It wasn't making any noise so I only expected to have to shorten the driveshaft.
For those wondering it is possible to create the "Goldilocks" ratio (I'll be documenting how) but I think I have the only 2 gearsets, on the planet Earth, to do it. ☺
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dent&Crack.jpg (39.5 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg Dent.jpg (36.5 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg Munch-A-Crunch.jpg (39.0 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg RingGearTeeth.jpg (29.5 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg Ouch.jpg (50.8 KB, 45 views)

Last edited by MALAK; 05-10-2021 at 03:08 PM. Reason: Added Pic
MALAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 05:31 PM   #263
rotorwrench

T-170 RTS hard parts are not easy to come by. Folks generally have to purchase a whole used transmission and hope the parts are still good.
Old 05-10-2021, 06:08 PM   #264
shew01

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorwrench View Post
T-170 RTS hard parts are not easy to come by. Folks generally have to purchase a whole used transmission and hope the parts are still good.

That’s my understanding as well. I have one in my Victoria, and parts (like gears) seem scarce.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
shew01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 07:43 AM   #265
rotorwrench

When Tremec in Mexico stopped production, they likely produced replacement parts for FoMoCo as long as is generally planned. Usually around 10-years. That puts the last of the replacement parts production at around 1997 so it's been a while. It's too bad that no gear manufacturers have taken up an aftermarket production. These transmissions are still a decent alternative for all of the old torque tube drive and even some open drive flathead powered Ford vehicles. They put the shift top very near to the stock location even though they are larger than the OEM early Ford transmissions.
Old 05-11-2021, 08:42 AM   #266
MALAK

Quote:
This is true but parts are out there.

By total random chance, I got lucky and found a brand new cluster, the one needed to make the Goldilocks ratio, mis-listed on eBay as a Jeep cluster; none of the Jeep versions of this trans had OD. I could tell by the seller's pic and the relative size of the gears on the cluster that it was NOT a Jeep cluster. Had him send me a tooth count and sure enough, it was the 31-34-23-15 Ford OD cluster, and I got it for $90 . I also found a new 22T input shaft on ebay(to mate with the cluster) for a reasonable $119 and a used 19T OD gear from a used transmission parts dealer. I've also made a new 19T OD gear (not for the faint of heart). For reference the elusive 31-34-23-15 cluster on left and the RTS 27.6% cluster on right. They look the same but there is 1 tooth difference in the input shaft position and the OD position. The elusive 19T OD gear on left and the 19T OD gear I made on right.

With this cluster and OD the gear the ratios are:
1st = 3.01
2nd = 1.78
3rd = 1.00
4th = .79 = 27.0%

As far as parts are concerned it seems half the battle is knowing what you're looking for and the other half chance (luck).

Tom

Last edited by MALAK; 05-11-2021 at 08:53 AM. Reason: Added info
MALAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 02:06 PM   #267
JRN1967

Don't forget about the T170's ugly sister SROD she may not be as sexy but she shares a lot of the same internals.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6551.jpg (69.4 KB, 73 views)
JRN1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 06:30 PM   #268
rotorwrench

I don't know about "a lot" but is does share some parts. The RTS or TOD has a lot of its own part numbers compared to the other SROD and SMOD. The SMOD is a lot different and has a cast iron case. The SROD has a completely different shifting mechanism and different ratios. I'll have to check the parts book and see how many gears interchange.
Old 05-11-2021, 07:59 PM   #269
JRN1967

When I say "a lot" I'm talking gear sets and I converted a 37% to a 26.7% using one T170 and two SRODS. I only know by first hand experience.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7103.jpg (43.2 KB, 73 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7276.jpg (44.9 KB, 79 views)
Old 05-12-2021, 12:28 PM   #270
rotorwrench

Those of us that know the Tremec 3&OD transmissions of the 80s will know what to look for but there isn't a lot of information out there on them for the average person who may want one and start looking in the salvage yards. My warning has to include the two different single rail transmissions that were made for Ford by Tremec Mexico. The truck version is not the same as the car version so my advice is to get as much information about them as you can before purchase even for parts. To find the gear set a person wants requires the correct two digit alpha gear code since there are more than one ratio involved with these units. Some may be more desirable to a potential buyer than others depending on the application.

Some folks in both the model A world and the early Ford V8 world are looking for the turret shift type T170 RTS TOD transmissions and they show up less and less as time goes by. Not so many are looking for the single rail shift types but you still have to know what to look for.

Last edited by rotorwrench; 05-12-2021 at 12:33 PM.
Old 05-13-2021, 09:39 AM   #271
JRN1967

Quote:
Some folks in both the model A world and the early Ford V8 world are looking for the turret shift type T170 RTS TOD transmissions and they show up less and less as time goes by. Not so many are looking for the single rail shift types but you still have to know what to look for.
I see... You were just trying to point out the differences so people wouldn't buy the wrong trans by mistake. While my point was to let people know there's still other options for parts. Understood, we were both trying to help.. Sorry for the confusion.
Old 05-13-2021, 08:42 PM   #272
fried okra

Location: Daniel Island,SouthCarolina/Knoxville, Tennessee/Sanibel Island,Florida

So, if you have an A with a 4-speed T170 transmission that was installed some years before you bought the car, there is a tag on the trans that would tell which gear set, etc are expected to be in that transmission?
fried okra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 09:25 PM   #273
shew01

Default F150 tranny with overdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by fried okra View Post
So, if you have an A with a 4-speed T170 transmission that was installed some years before you bought the car, there is a tag on the trans that would tell which gear set, etc are expected to be in that transmission?

Mine has a stamping, rather than a tag. I don’t know if the stamping can be mapped to the installed gear set or not.

Old 05-14-2021, 06:09 AM   #274
JRN1967

Quote:
Originally Posted by fried okra View Post
Yes. Read Al's post #245 & #246 it shows the tag and the definitions for each ratio.
Old 05-14-2021, 12:35 PM   #275
shew01

I was mistaken. My transmission does have a tag. I incorrectly recalled the transmission case being stamped, but the tag is stamped.

Old 05-14-2021, 06:17 PM   #276
fried okra

Location: Daniel Island,SouthCarolina/Knoxville, Tennessee/Sanibel Island,Florida

Thanks Shew and JRN....I am away from the car for another week or so.

Will check and see if the tag is still there.
fried okra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 07:20 PM   #277
Ed Saniewski

I am trying to remove the tower on my OD trans, and wondered dose the trans need to be in any particular gear to take the tower off? I have it in neutral , but cant get the forks to clear. thanks.

Model A Pick Up Owners and Enthusiasts
http://www.fordbarn.com/forum/group.php?groupid=5
Ed Saniewski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 07:27 PM   #278
The Master Cylinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Saniewski View Post
I am trying to remove the tower on my OD trans, and wondered dose the trans need to be in any particular gear to take the tower off? I have it in neutral , but cant get the forks to clear. thanks.
I remember someone mentioning the trans had to be in reverse? But I could be wrong because I'm not sure. But I do remember it had to be in gear.

Enjoying life at the beach in SoCal...
The Master Cylinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 08:16 PM   #279
shew01

Default F150 tranny with overdrive

Try second gear for tower removal and reassembly. When in second, my T170 tower lifts out to the right.

Old 05-24-2021, 04:56 AM   #280
Ed Saniewski

Thanks, I will give it a try.

Model A Pick Up Owners and Enthusiasts
http://www.fordbarn.com/forum/group.php?groupid=5
Ed Saniewski is offline   Reply With Quote