Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-06-2020, 11:17 AM   #21
kenparker

Default Re: Tremec T170 Transmission Troubles (this issue may be a puzzle)

I ahve built and rebuilt a bunch of them. Since yours has a standard Model A bellhousing I know it is not one of mine. I still do maintenance work and rebuild some of the parts on the inside. I am completely out of useable gears, but still have syncro rings ans bearings - new and good used.

Gary Bernard is still in the business. You can probably find him thru the Ft Worth Model A club.

If you need call me 903 952 7615.
kenparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 08:34 PM   #22
MALAK

I've currently got 2 of these transmission on the bench, being built for Model A's. Refer to pics --- there is only 1 washer even close to the size of the one pictured. It's an "E" clip for the Reverse Rocker. The reverse rocker is located in the top of the trans and provides the spring pressure, you must overcome, to put it in reverse. All the other washers are either, large, strong spring clips for the bearings or are captive on their shafts, so unlikely it's any of them. Or possibly at some point the cover was off and a bolt washer was accidentally dropped in there. There is a large, weak, magnet at the bottom of the trans. Looking from the bottom it's in the bulge near the front of the trans and held in by a one-way spring clip.

For those that said the gears look like they have dents or chips, they look perfectly normal to me. Look at the gears in my trans. They ALL have machine makes that look like chips but they are machined on every tooth, all the way around. They all have them. I don't know why but they do.

Without giving away any details this trans is the "Goldilocks Ratio" that was said could not be built. I'm working on writing-up the details of how I accomplished this but I've built 2 of these with the 3.09 first and 27.0% O.D.

Tom
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Washers.jpg (28.8 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg ReverseRocker.jpg (22.0 KB, 75 views)
File Type: jpg TransGears.jpg (176.1 KB, 90 views)
MALAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 05:55 AM   #23
JRN1967

Quote:
Originally Posted by MALAK View Post

Without giving away any details this trans is the "Goldilocks Ratio" that was said could not be built. I'm working on writing-up the details of how I accomplished this but I've built 2 of these with the 3.09 first and 27.0% O.D.

Tom
Tom, How soon can we expect this write up?

John
JRN1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 07:16 AM   #24
Alaska Mike

Just talked to Gary Bernard yesterday, and yes he is still doing these transmissions. I just about have mine in. Gary does a great job on these. Only three modifications so far, brake cross shaft, and shortened torque tube and shortened radius rods. Gary did the torque tube and brake cross shaft. First Class guy! He has been very helpful!
Alaska Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 01:04 PM   #25
MALAK

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRN1967 View Post
Tom, How soon can we expect this write up?

John
Probably within a month or two. I literally just started documenting the process. Got a lot of other things going on that hinder my attention to projects like this.

Tom

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk
MALAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 02:53 PM   #26
rotorwrench

I'd forgotten about the tower shifting mechanism. From the parts break down there appears to be two of those clips on the reverse rocker. The retainer rings are as follows: are P/N 97513, a 5/16" retaining ring for the OD/3rd rocker and the two P/N 97411, 3/8" retaining rings for the reverse rocker in the tower housing. The two 97411 ones are the E-clip style and look different but the 97513 is an external snap ring. Ford/New Holland uses these part numbers on some tractors.

If a part is substituted, be sure it fits the pin well. A person wouldn't want anything to fall off again if that's what happened. If they are all still there then it's a mystery about where it came from.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 03:15 PM   #27
nomadpsd

Quote:
Originally Posted by MALAK View Post
Probably within a month or two. I literally just started documenting the process. Got a lot of other things going on that hinder my attention to projects like this.

Tom

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk
Looking forward to your article.
nomadpsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 08:54 AM   #28
shew01

Thanks for all the information in this thread. I'm still sifting through it to determine the way ahead. I really appreciate your interest.
shew01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 02:09 PM   #29
Markg

Installed engine & new clutch into trans (Tremec T170FT RTS TOD) in vehicle and pulled off trans top cover and would not come off after a few attempts only able to move up or around a little bit and didn't try and force it. I was able to secure cover back down and now in neutral goes into all gears except reverse with car off. Before rebuilding engine all gears shifted fine. Any suggestions to fix?
Markg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 02:39 PM   #30
Bob C

It needs to be in 2nd gear to get the cover off.
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 06:45 PM   #31
John

If my memory serves me right, there is also a magnet in the bottom of the transmission case to collect and hold wear metals and may also have picked up some of what you found. Be sure to check that magnet. Transmission disassembly is usually required.
John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 06:49 PM   #32
John

One must have the shifter in second gear and align all gearsets in the transmission with the shift forks, that is putting the gearsets in second gear only also as well as having the reverse idler in the proper neutral location to properly install the shifter.
Old 05-03-2021, 06:32 PM   #33
Markg

Are the forks missing aligned because I have no reverse and all other gears, If idler reverse gear is not all the way back will this cause no reverse? Can the reverse idler gear simply be moved back by sliding it back with a screw driver?

Last edited by Markg; 05-04-2021 at 02:56 AM.
Markg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 07:32 AM   #34
John

It does sound as if the reverse idler gear is not aligned with the shifter fork. Check to make sure that both the gearsets and the shifter top are in second gear and that the reverse idler slot is aligned with the reverse fork when installing the top.

JLC
Old 05-04-2021, 09:29 AM   #35
rotorwrench

Not only do all the forks have to be in proper placement but the control movement reversing rocker systems also have to be secure and functional. This transmission has a reverse gear rocker system and an 3rd/overdrive gear rocker system. It's not a common set up as most transmission designs go but it was very necessary for allowing this design to function properly for reverse and 3rd/overdrive gears.

The reverse gear selector control fork is long and doesn't have much of a fork end to it. It has to be in the correct position or it won't work at all.

Last edited by rotorwrench; 05-04-2021 at 09:39 AM.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 05:08 PM   #36
bettlesr

The picture of the whole setup looks like the one I have in my car. I got mine from Tim Sheridan in Nunca, MI. His number is 616-837-6477 and his prices were good. His setup uses the stock bell housing, and doesn't have to cut the crossmember. I just cut off the upper and lower ears on the cover of the bell on the front of the drive shaft. He will also shorten the driveshaft if you want or you can have it done locally. The only other thing required was to put two washers under the brake cross shaft to lower it slightly. I went with the trans with the 3.01 first gear and middle overdrive ratio. With a bored and reworked engine, it can still pull up hills in OD. Gets a lot quieter when I put it into OD.
Old 05-09-2021, 11:37 AM   #37
F1_1950

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaska Mike View Post
Just talked to Gary Bernard yesterday, and yes he is still doing these transmissions. I just about have mine in. Gary does a great job on these. Only three modifications so far, brake cross shaft, and shortened torque tube and shortened radius rods. Gary did the torque tube and brake cross shaft. First Class guy! He has been very helpful!
Did you have the T170 output shaft machined-splined and cut locally?
F1_1950 is offline   Reply With Quote