Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-16-2015, 10:37 PM   #1
nb141fd

Default PU trans versus passenger car

In my quest to find a 39-48 3-speed transmission I have come across a 1941 PU tranny. Is there any difference between the light pickup version and the one that came in the passenger cars of this year? I'm concerned about ratios and fitting into a Model A frame. Thanks in advance.

Tony
nb141fd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 10:55 PM   #2
ford38v8

Default Re: PU trans versus passenger car

Tony, The passenger car transmission of 1941 was a side shifter, the pickup being a top loader. The 3 speed transmissions, either top or side, all had the same gearing and synchromesh from 1939 through 1948, with exception of the 60 hp version. There was also a 4 speed top loader available for the pickup.
Old 11-17-2015, 12:29 AM   #3
nb141fd

Alan, thank you for the information I appreciate it.

Tony
Old 11-17-2015, 09:55 AM   #4
cas3

not an expert, but heres some of the thoughts i've read. the pick up case is supposed to be stronger, spotted by the heavy rib cast on the bottom of the case. yes, it will have more "truck " like ratios. many like that case with the gear set from the later side shift trans which gives you the later style syncros, and a little more usable 1st gear than the stump puller in the early cars. go to the van pelt flathead v8 web site and see all the wonderfull information he has provided for us. check the tranny section and you can make your choice from there. happy motoring!
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 10:24 AM   #5
Hoop

"The 3 speed transmissions, either top or side, all had the same gearing ... "

There were 2 basic gear combinations, 2 Lincoln Zephyr combinations, and an unusual "Rule of 43" gear set.

Count the Main Drive Gear teeth (the top gear in the front of the transmission). !6 is considered standard, 15 is the equivalent of a Model A and lower than the 16, 14 is rare, but I have one. (18 and 19 are Zephyr combinations.)

A "1941 truck 3-speed" could be a variety of things. Study Van Pelt's site.

You do not say what engine you are using or where you live. Both could help in choosing the correct gears.

If you plan to use the transmission behind a Model A engine, the reinforcing rib could cause fitting problems with the Clings wishbone adapter.
Old 11-17-2015, 10:50 AM   #6
nb141fd

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Hoop, I'm planning to use it behind a 1950 8BA with torque tube and banjo drive-line. I live in Southern California and am concerned about being able to drive highway speeds (65mph). Would this trans, regardless of main drive gear tooth count, work for me? TIA

Tony
Old 11-17-2015, 11:31 AM   #7
cas3

all those 3 speeds thru 48 are 1 to 1 in high gear so top speed is gonna be what your rear end ratio and tire height is. stock gears, most common is 378, but 411's are out there too. 354 is my favorite
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 01:20 PM   #8
George/Maine

I guess going into a model a you want a floor shift. I had a problem with a 47 car trans broken teeth. I had a 1950s pu trans floor shift with open drive.
The cluster gear was the same and first out of the pu .I swapped the gears and kept the rear shaft out of the 47 and put all the rest in to the pu case.
So if you have the 3" fork on shifter, you can mix and match to open drive of closed.
George/Maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 02:42 PM   #9
nb141fd

According to Van Pelt the 41' pickup trans had a 14 tooth main drive gear and a 3.52 first gear. This would take this transmission out of consideration. I probably should just pass and continue to look for a 16 tooth model.

Tony
Old 11-17-2015, 03:21 PM   #10
CT AV8

Tony, I know you have a parallel thread going on over at HAMB, but I was just thinking that if you can get the '41 p/u trans at a good price, you could then swap some good passenger internals up to '48 into it.
CT AV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 03:41 PM   #11
41LjH

Quote:
Originally Posted by nb141fd View Post
Hoop, I'm planning to use it behind a 1950 8BA with torque tube and banjo drive-line. I live in Southern California and am concerned about being able to drive highway speeds (65mph). Would this trans, regardless of main drive gear tooth count, work for me? TIA

Tony
I have a 39 toploader behind a 8BA in my pickup. Highway speed is a function of rearend ratio and tire size. All old Ford transmissions are 1:1 in third gear. I have a torque tube 3:78-1 with 16" 225 rear tires on 8" wide wheels. At 65 I am turning 3500 RPM. If highway cruising is the main objective consider a 5 speed or AOD.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmwwB34vxJE
41LjH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 06:02 PM   #12
jimvette59

Look carefully at that 41 pickup transmission especially if it has a factory cut out on the left for a starter. It is a 78 case but is a one year only for the four cylinder and does NOT have spiral ground third gears. Please look up information for the four cylinder 41 ford pickup truck. It was a real slug. IMHO
jimvette59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 08:15 PM   #13
nb141fd

Thanks for the info guys. I think I'll just pass on this trans for now. I'm not in a hurry so I'll just wait until 39-48 passenger car transmission comes available.

Tony
Old 11-17-2015, 09:20 PM   #14
Charlie Stephens

Quote:
Thanks for the info guys. I think I'll just pass on this trans for now. I'm not in a hurry so I'll just wait until 39-48 passenger car transmission comes available.

Tony
Count the teeth on the gears before you pass.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 09:28 PM   #15
skidmarks

If you can buy .it for $100 or less thats a deal you would be wise not to pass up. The top alone is worth more then that
skidmarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 03:45 PM   #16
Barn Junk

The 41 PU 3-sp trans was unique in several ways:
*All 41 PU V-8s seemed to come with the new 29/15 gearset.
*The 4cyl had a special 29/14 gearset with straight cut low gear and used the later loose ring syncros.
*It was the first year of the floorshift case with the deeper area under the cluster for aid inassembling the 29 tooth cluster gear set (considered the strongest floor shift case). This case had NO rib at the bottom (smooth but deeper than a 1935 "48" case) but was still usually IDed with a 78 part number. Later 1942-53 PU 3sp floor shift cases may not have the 78 ID but are the same.
Barn Junk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 04:36 PM   #17
jimvette59

Barn Junk , I have a 41 ford four cylinder three speed trans. with the cut out on the left side for the starter and the only thing I would use is the case. The gear set is nice. Just saying .

Last edited by jimvette59; 11-18-2015 at 04:50 PM.
jimvette59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 07:18 PM   #18
nb141fd

Well guys I changed my mind and decided I'm going to go see it. I won't be able to look at it until next week because of the seller's schedule, but he assured me that he will hold it for me. I'm thinking that if it has the truck internals; 14 tooth main drive gear and 3.52 1st gear ratio I can change those out to the passenger car's gearing later.

I believe the trans is original to the seller's truck. He described going with his father in 1953 to pick it up from the seller. His father gave it to him when he got his license and he drove it for some time after. He and his father gave the truck a minor restoration in the 70's but didn't touch the engine or transmission. He recently sold the flathead V8 and is now getting rid of the 3 speed. His goal is to have someone install a more modern V8 with an AOD trans. He has a strong attachment to the truck and wants to enjoy it now in his later years. He said his father is 95 and still getting around. Pretty
interesting that the truck has been in his family for 62 years.

I'll post when I get the trans opened up and let you know what I find. Thanks again.

Tony
Old 11-18-2015, 07:34 PM   #19
zzlegend

Quote:
Well guys I changed my mind and decided I'm going to go see it. I won't be able to look at it until next week because of the seller's schedule, but he assured me that he will hold it for me. I'm thinking that if it has the truck internals; 14 tooth main drive gear and 3.52 1st gear ratio I can change those out to the passenger car's gearing later.

I believe the trans is original to the seller's truck. He described going with his father in 1953 to pick it up from the seller. His father gave it to him when he got his license and he drove it for some time after. He and his father gave the truck a minor restoration in the 70's but didn't touch the engine or transmission. He recently sold the flathead V8 and is now getting rid of the 3 speed. His goal is to have someone install a more modern V8 with an AOD trans. He has a strong attachment to the truck and wants to enjoy it now in his later years. He said his father is 95 and still getting around. Pretty
interesting that the truck has been in his family for 62 years.

I'll post when I get the trans opened up and let you know what I find. Thanks again.

Tony
Tony, check your P.M.s
zzlegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 10:43 PM   #20
jim1932

There is a 39 that has been for sale on craigslist in Delaware for a while