Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-27-2011, 02:57 PM   #1
Bill Lee/Virginia

Default Brake Energizer Kit

Any of you have this situation? I received the 16 piece Brake Energizer Kit with instructions for Chirstmas (I guess my wife heard too many "Oh S#%ts" when I apply the brakes to my "A"). However, I cannot fully understand the instructions, even after reading them several times. Over the years, I attempted to learn, remember and call the parts as described in the Service Bulletins, Ford Parts Lists and other official publications and documents instead of slang terms. The instructions simply confuse this old man.

Do any of you that have installed this kit have better or revised instructions or hints that will help me in the installation of this kit? I plan to use my "A" New Year's Day on my club's SnowFlake Tour and will be installing the kit thereafter.

Happy New Year to everyone!

Bill Lee/Virginia Peninsula
Bill Lee/Virginia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 03:29 PM   #2
Tom Endy

Default Re: Brake Energizer Kit

Bill:

Not certain what kit you are talking about, however, if it is the floater kit from the fellow in New Zealand there is additional information available. I have installed several of these kits and they work well if you get them installed correctly. There are a number of tricks.

Go to my club's web site www.ocmafc.com and click on tech articles in the menu on the left. It will bring up a new menu. There are two reprints of the articles printed in Model A Times (with John LaVoy's permission). Also at the top is my name. Click on my name and it will bring up another menu of articles. There is one there that I wrote about installing the floaters. You will need a tool to center the rear brakes. Bratton sells one for about $40 that works well. The fronts are easier than the backs to do. My advice is do the fronts first and test drive it before you tackle the rears.

Make sure you buy quality brake springs. The ones from Bratton are good. There are some really poor quality ones on the market from some of the other suppliers.

Tom Endy
Tom Endy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 05:25 PM   #3
Bill Lee/Virginia

Thank you Tom. Exactly what I was looking for. I will order new springs, no telling how long the old ones have been on my car.

Bill Lee/Virginia Peninsula
Bill Lee/Virginia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 06:01 PM   #4
V4F

teds also have rear shoe centering pins . maybe thats what brattons have also ........ steve
Old 12-27-2011, 06:26 PM   #5
cheepsk8

Don't know if this will help, it did help me though.Go to Youtube and search brake energizing kits, good video to go go along with the other advise you have been given. Good luck! I used a Flathead Ted's kit and it worked fine.
cheepsk8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 11:39 PM   #6
1931 flamingo

If you have problems, Ted posts on the EV8 board and always willing to answer ?'s in detail.
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 09:15 AM   #7
roccaas

And, as he's on the other side of the world, you can email him a question at the end of your day, and generally have an answer from the man himself before you open the garage the next morning.