Go Back   The Ford Barn > The Archives > Model-T

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #1

Default Model T Forum Fever

Is it feed a cold and starve a fever or starve a cold and feed a fever. Well tomorrow it is going to be 50 deg and no rain so I am getting in my 26 Tudor and heading west until I feel I am over Forum Fever. I hope I am cured before I hit an ocean.

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #2

Default To be Percise "Fliver Forum Fever " N/M

N/M

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #3

Default Had to look it up ...

flivver

n.

[Old Slang] a small, cheap automobile, esp. an old one

Suits most of the cars I know

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #4

Default Re: Model T Forum Fever

<center></center>

Joe, I also have the fever, Head towards New York, ill met you 1/2 way. Hope the pic works.

Bob

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #5

That is a 23/24 right?

How did you get the finish so brilliant? It looks like the old ones did when they used the garden hoses and the varnish.

Please tell us step by step if you will (primer and type and coats, emery and type and when, color and type, etc.

Also, how did you finish the last coat? Any special polishing compound.

That Tee just gleams ! ! ! IT looks like a mirror ! ! !

Dennis O

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #6

<center></center>

Dennis, Ive been painting cars since I was 15. There is over a 1000 hrs of prep work &amp; block sanding done to that car from top to bottom. It's never the paint, it's always the prepwork. Give me a day or two &amp; I will e-mail you a step by step list.It is a low rad 23.

Bob

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #7

Absolutely beautiful. I'm sure your step by step list would be of great interest to lots of folks here and at MTFCI forum.

Hey, it really has that &quot;just poured on look&quot; that I was getting with original formula Ford flow paint. Alas...

Reid

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #8

Reid; what was original Ford flow paint?

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #9

Default You asked, You got it!

1st thing do one pannel at a time.Start by media blasting both sides to remove all paint, prime &amp; rust, as this also etches the metal at the same time.If the pannel needs no repairs &amp; is realy strait, prime it with a two part urethane prime 2-3 coats. If the pannel is in need of dent repair you will need a bodymans hammer &amp; dolly &amp; slapfile. Take your time &amp; work it all out. Weld all cracks with a mig welder, small holes can be filled by holding a chunk of brass from the back side. Grind all repairs smooth as possible. Coat entire pannel with a product called Iceing by 3M. It's a non srinking two part product that goes on very smooth &amp; creamy &amp; drys rock hard.Also by skimming the entire pannel there is no need for feather edging. Once dry start block sanding with 80 then 180, you will also need a flexible block for the rounded areas. When block sanding go from L to R &amp; R to L sorta like a X . make sure to round off all edges, Blow off all dust, tac rag. 2-3 coats of urethane prime. Let cure Block sand again this time with 400-500 WET edges by hand. Optional on a black car I like to put down a coat of black non sanding epoxy prime-makes a nice base.Prepare entire paint area by hanging plastic shething on celling &amp; walls then wet everthing with the hose. If you don't have a exaust fan put a box fan in the window &amp; leave garage door open 2 inches at the bottom to pull fresh air.Don't paint at night or every bug it town will be in your paint.Blow off all dust, wash with prep sol or alochal wipes, wipe with tac rag. Paint, 1st use a new gun. I think for the DIY most user freindly would be DBU bc/cc 2-3 coats of coulor, if you see something you don't like you can wait 1/2 hr or so wet sand it out &amp; recoat it. Let dry for 1 hr &amp; you are ready for clearcoat, 3 coats is more than enought. The car in the pic was sprayed in a booth with a catalized acrylic enamal with a very slow dry reducer, not so user friendly but has instant results. Both types of paint can be wet sanded W/1500-2000 wet &amp; polished with microfinishing coumpound, then finish up with a finishing wheel, hand glazed &amp; waxed. If you ask 5 different bodymen &quot;how to&quot; you will get 5 different answers.This is the way I like to do it &amp; the results speak for them self. BTW plan on spending aprox $600 in paint, clear, prime &amp; material. Good luck with your project!!

Bob Nowak

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #10

I have to tell you, I've spent many, many, many hours with Bob and his car - the pictures don't do it justice. This is far and away the nicest black T around... without question, a 100+ point car.

Look for it at a show near you!

Doc