Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-26-2011, 06:19 PM   #1
1928Pickuppain

Default Light rod and switch

So I am finaly assembling my light switch rod and switch my question is how far out of the steering collum is it supposed to stick out because it really dosent look like mine sticks out much. second when the swich rod is in the steering wheel dose the liver point streight down twords me when sitting in the car when all things are off and lastley at the bottom the thingy that goes on the rod is that supposed to be vertical or horizontal. mabe some one can post some pictures so I can visuralize it.
1928Pickuppain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 07:26 PM   #2
glenn in camino

Default Re: Light rod and switch

The switch is straight down when off. The fork at the bottom of the rod should be vertical.
glenn in camino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 07:52 PM   #3
1928Pickuppain

thanks
Old 04-26-2011, 07:53 PM   #4
Keith True

You may have a rod that is too short.I am not that familiar with 28-29 stuff,but I ran into a problem a couple of years ago with one.I think the 28 was 45-3/4,and the 29 was 45.If you are using the shaft you got from me that one was pulled from a 28 Special Coupe originally.BUT,who knows if it ever was changed in the 70 years before we got to it?
Keith True is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 08:13 PM   #5
1928Pickuppain

well i am useing the shaft i got from you and I was told there was two sizes I asked for the longer of the two witch is 3/4 longer than the short one I think its the right one but its hard to tell unill i actualy install it.
Old 04-26-2011, 08:48 PM   #6
Keith True

I just thought of something else,that shaft had a broken switch tube stuck in it.I may have gotten it out,but where I don't fool much with 7 tooth stuff I may just have left it in there when I stood it up in the corner for all these years.How did it adjust up?That worm looked pretty nice,I'm just curious how it came out.
Keith True is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 11:12 AM   #7
1928Pickuppain

she seems prity good theres very little play in the box itself maby an inch on the wheel and i think i just need to take a few shims out and it will be perfect. but now im looking at the rest of my steering assembly thinking o boy i need to redo that to soon.
Old 04-27-2011, 12:01 PM   #8
asapguy

I just finished rebuilding, painting & installing a 7 tooth box in my 60B fordor. Installing the spider on the shaft is almost a two man job. When compressing the spring to install the "C" clip the rod wants to push up the column. I never have anyone around to help so what I did was to install a couple of tie raps around the top of the rod & around a couple of spokes of the steering wheel. This kept the horn rod from moving up. Also your fingers can get sore from pushing on the spider to compress & hold the spring. A couple pieces of small diameter rubber tubing placed over the tabs will save your fingers. Two people make the job easier though. Brattons sell a tool for $7 to push on the spider to compress the spring.
asapguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 12:08 PM   #9
CarlG

Quote:
Originally Posted by asapguy View Post
...Brattons sell a tool for $7 to push on the spider to compress the spring.
Even with the tool, it's still going to push the rod back up. I just used masking tape to hold it in place, and that seemed to work OK. Using tie wraps is also a good idea.
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 12:09 PM   #10
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlG View Post
Even with the tool, it's still going to push the rod back up. I just used masking tape to hold it in place, and that seemed to work OK. Using tie wraps is also a good idea.
A yardstick through the steering wheel also works well to hold the horn rod down.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 03:05 PM   #11
Bob/Kansas City

A plastic zip tie works well to hold the horn rod in place while you put the clip on the bottom end.
Just run the zip tie over the horn rod / light switch lever at the steering wheel and run the zip tie over to the back side of the steering wheel and zip it tight. Works great!
Bob/Kansas City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 04:16 PM   #12
1928Pickuppain

i never event thought about the horn rod pushing up ha still the question that hasent been answard is hhow far out of the bottom of the shaft dose the tip of the rod come. an inch an inch and a half? less? more?
Old 04-27-2011, 05:51 PM   #13
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1928Pickuppain View Post
i never event thought about the horn rod pushing up ha still the question that hasent been answard is hhow far out of the bottom of the shaft dose the tip of the rod come. an inch an inch and a half? less? more?
I have a nice spare early 1929 7 tooth steering column and from the end of the cup that supports the light switch to the end of the horn contact is 9/16". That's as close as I could measure with my tape measure.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote