Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-13-2022, 12:16 PM   #1
DelPercio

Default Timing

Had lots of cars and only checked the timing on one. How often should you check the timing of a model a.
DelPercio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 01:06 PM   #2
nkaminar

Default Re: Timing

Not often. It is more important to check the point gap as that will effect the timing and the dwell. Even if you remove the distributor, and do nothing to it, and re install it, you will not have to check the timing. A different distributor or a rebuilt one or new gears for the camshaft or the distributor driving gear or wear over time or a new intermediate shaft would require checking the timing. If you acquire a car then check the timing. I have seen the timing really messed up by someone who adjusted it.
The clutch always sticks, and starts with a jerk.
My car grows red hair, and flies through the air.
Driving's a blast, a blast from the past.
nkaminar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 03:17 PM   #3
Oldgearz

I agree. Not very often. Generally there should be a symptom, i.e. backfire, loss of power, different reaction to timing lever setting, etc. I check points and plugs + or - every 500 miles.
Oldgearz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 04:32 PM   #4
WHN

The comment about timing gear ware is important to note. With a new gear and a rebuilt distributor you should be able to go many, many miles without having to change the timing. Low mileage car could go years. We have a car with only 4,000 miles on rebuild, but 20 years. Have changed plugs twice, nothing else. Runs great. If it isn’t broken, don’t try to fix it.

Rotor, points, and plugs are different.

Years ago, I had a good friend that owned Model T’s and A’s. He had to mess with the timing on his A’s all the time. He was never happy with how the ran, and they never did run right.

Enjoy.
WHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 04:08 PM   #5
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHN View Post
The comment about timing gear ware is important to note. With a new gear and a rebuilt distributor you should be able to go many, many miles without having to change the timing. Low mileage car could go years. We have a car with only 4,000 miles on rebuild, but 20 years. Have changed plugs twice, nothing else. Runs great. If it isn’t broken, don’t try to fix it.

Rotor, points, and plugs are different.

Years ago, I had a good friend that owned Model T’s and A’s. He had to mess with the timing on his A’s all the time. He was never happy with how the ran, and they never did run right.

Enjoy.
You have changed plugs twice in 4,000 miles? Wow. I have just changed the plugs in my tourer after 70,000+ miles and I used the cheapest TT10s
Old 01-14-2022, 06:36 PM   #6
WHN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchro909 View Post
You have changed plugs twice in 4,000 miles? Wow. I have just changed the plugs in my tourer after 70,000+ miles and I used the cheapest TT10s
Needed something to work on. Plugs are easy. 20 years is a long time.

70,000 is a WOW! Great job.

Enjoy.
WHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 12:39 AM   #7
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHN View Post
Needed something to work on. Plugs are easy. 20 years is a long time.

70,000 is a WOW! Great job.

Enjoy.
I never seem to have time to do all I want. I can fill your void!
Old 01-15-2022, 01:17 AM   #8
40 Deluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by DelPercio View Post
Had lots of cars and only checked the timing on one. How often should you check the timing of a model a.
Actually, timing on a Model A is set by that lever on the left side of the steering column. Whenever you move the lever, the timing changes. The more you pull the lever down, the more the timing is advanced. Initial, or base, timing is basically a set and forget deal. It will not change until/unless the timing gears or the points wear. Gears wear very slowly and very little. The points, however, do wear and need regular adjustment. Just keep the point gap within spec. and base timing will be within spec. No need for constant fiddling!
The timing lever, on the other hand, needs to be adjusted often for changing conditions-idling, slow speeds, high speeds, hills, even passenger loads.
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 05:21 AM   #9
Bruce of MN

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40 Deluxe View Post
Actually, timing on a Model A is set by that lever on the left side of the steering column. Whenever you move the lever, the timing changes. The more you pull the lever down, the more the timing is advanced. Initial, or base, timing is basically a set and forget deal. It will not change until/unless the timing gears or the points wear. Gears wear very slowly and very little. The points, however, do wear and need regular adjustment. Just keep the point gap within spec. and base timing will be within spec. No need for constant fiddling!
The timing lever, on the other hand, needs to be adjusted often for changing conditions-idling, slow speeds, high speeds, hills, even passenger loads.
If the heel on the points wears, wouldn't that change (retard) when the points open?
Bruce of MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 09:38 AM   #10
40 Deluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce of MN View Post
If the heel on the points wears, wouldn't that change (retard) when the points open?
Yes. That's why you regularly check and set the point gap. Of course you can easily compensate for this wear to some extent by moving the timing lever down a couple extra clicks or so. This will get the timing back where it was.
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 11:51 AM   #11
Will N

Once you set the point gap and the timing and tightened down the distributor cam you never have to check the timing again unless you fiddle with the distributor cam. (Assuming that you have good teeth on the bottom of the cam that won't slip). If the points close up because of wear on the rubbing block, resetting the gap to the original setting will restore the timing automatically.
Will N is offline   Reply With Quote