Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-29-2024, 11:22 AM   #1
olethirty

Default new guy, old car

Hey everyone just joined up recently after acquiring a pretty clean 1930 Model A. It has 7800 miles on it, and everything is there. It was sitting in a garage for about 15 years, then sat for a bit prior to that from what i know. after i got it home i started the inspection.

Fuel had sat in the system (About 2 and a 1/2 gallons) which smelled amazing. so tried to drain it and got nothing. pulled all the fuel lines and the sediment bowl, and they were solid all the way through. great. Moved to the petcock, opened it and thankfully got some fluid out of that. so proceeded to drain the tank and what came out looked like thinned motor oil. gross.

So, after that, i cleaned all the lines, sonic cleaned the sediment bowl and got everything there cleaned. Pulled the petcock and got that cleaned up. so, then i scoped the tank and it's really bad. read up on pulling the tank and decided that maybe I'll try and clean it in place. stuffed 11.5 gallons of white vinegar into the tank and have let it sit for about 9 days and will drain it this week. i made drain setup that screws into the bottom of the tank to allow for a fast drain (1/4 inch outlet) that connect to a hose and out the cabin.

Battery was dead, and from like 2000 so put in a new battery and it cranked. great! made up a fuel bottle to bottle feed it fuel and couldn't get fuel in the carb. figured. so pulled the carb and everything was clogged. cleaned everything, new gaskets, swapped in a few new parts and reconnected the carb and bottle feed and it instantly started. No smoke just ran like it had never sat for close to 2 decades.

So now, try my best to clean out as much as i can from the tank, reconnect everything, fill the radiator which i think has long since failed as there are signs its leaking. clean it up and take the lady out to the diner!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg model a 1.jpg (64.1 KB, 114 views)
File Type: jpg model a 4.jpg (74.4 KB, 111 views)
File Type: jpg model a 2.jpg (72.3 KB, 106 views)
File Type: jpg model a fuel 1.jpg (20.6 KB, 117 views)
File Type: jpg model a 3.jpg (38.9 KB, 95 views)
olethirty is offline   Reply With Quote