Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-29-2012, 11:05 AM   #1
Pepsi Mechanic

Default starter shaft question

Our 28 AA truck has a 1/2 inch starter shaft .The drive broke so I bought a rebuilt starter and drive with a 5/8 shaft . I tried to install the 5/8 inch starter and it did not mesh with the teeth on the flywheel properly . the teeth appear to be different in size . I managed to get parts to rebuild the 1/2 inch drive and I am good again . Has anyone tried to machine the 5/8 inch shaft down to a 1/2 inch ? Would it even work ? I would like to keep a spare strarter on the shelf just in case.
Pepsi Mechanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 11:57 AM   #2
Patrick L.

Default Re: starter shaft question

What style was your new drive, old or modern ?? Is the tooth count the same ?? I thought the starters were interchangeable too,, we'll probably find out shortly..
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 01:05 PM   #3
Gord. B by the bay

On a 28 the 5/8th drive shaft causes the bendix to touch the flywheel if you turn the shaft to 1/2" and use an "Augel" ?? drive which will be 1/2" it will work.
Gord B by the Bay
Gord. B by the bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 01:16 PM   #4
midgetracer

Hey Pepsi Man,
I have a 1/2 inch drive that appears to be good. I will send it to you if you send me your address. I only have 30-31 cars so I don't need it.
Midgetracer [email protected]
midgetracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 04:27 PM   #5
Pepsi Mechanic

I will take the 5/8 armature to the machine shop next week and see what they can do -- thanks Gord
I sent you a quick E mail Rod -- would not hurt to have spare 1/2 inch parts -- believe it or not I have been using drive parts from a Model T ( almost the same ) hey it works -- Just scared the shaft will snap some day
Old 07-29-2012, 11:39 PM   #6
columbiA

Pages 303 to 305 & page570 in the Service Bulletins tells you all you need to know about the early starter drives & modifications.Dont take the starter to the mach-shop until you have read the Bulletins.Every one with an "A" should have a repro of the Bulletins.
columbiA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 02:03 PM   #7
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepsi Mechanic View Post
I will take the 5/8 armature to the machine shop next week and see what they can do -- thanks Gord
I sent you a quick E mail Rod -- would not hurt to have spare 1/2 inch parts -- believe it or not I have been using drive parts from a Model T ( almost the same ) hey it works -- Just scared the shaft will snap some day
Don't "MIX & MATCH" parts. DO NOT cut the 5/8" shaft to fit a 1/2" drive. The centerline for the 5/8" starter arrmature shafts is further away from the ring gear than the centerline for the 1/2" starter armature shafts. Look at the locating ring on the end plate of each starter and you will see the 5/8" starter has an eccentric locating ring, while the 1/2" starter has an even ring all the way around. This fact isn't pointed out in any book that I've ever read, but I found it by checking starters to see how Ford made up for the change to a larger diameter pinion on the 5/8" starter.

Trying to mix and match by machining parts isn't a good idea for this. You need the original Abell drive or the replacement SERVICE DRIVE, which is easier to find.

Also, the armature for the 5/8" starter has a smaller diameter shaft in the bushing/bearing area than the 1/2" starter.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 06:37 PM   #8
Pepsi Mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
Don't "MIX & MATCH" parts. DO NOT cut the 5/8" shaft to fit a 1/2" drive. The centerline for the 5/8" starter arrmature shafts is further away from the ring gear than the centerline for the 1/2" starter armature shafts. Look at the locating ring on the end plate of each starter and you will see the 5/8" starter has an eccentric locating ring, while the 1/2" starter has an even ring all the way around. This fact isn't pointed out in any book that I've ever read, but I found it by checking starters to see how Ford made up for the change to a larger diameter pinion on the 5/8" starter.

Trying to mix and match by machining parts isn't a good idea for this. You need the original Abell drive or the replacement SERVICE DRIVE, which is easier to find.

Also, the armature for the 5/8" starter has a smaller diameter shaft in the bushing/bearing area than the 1/2" starter.
Thanks Tom -- I will take your word on that one -- The drive looks different though ( teeth ) Would the AA be different from the A --Plus it was real noisy when I tried it out -- plus it looks like it did a bit of ring gear damage -the old drive broke a while ago and thats when I tried the new one -As I said earlier I managed to get some parts and got the old one going again and reinstalled it -- Thank god the old starter still works good --
Old 07-30-2012, 08:24 PM   #9
Tom Wesenberg

I think you mentioned once that your AA has the multiplate flywheel....right?

If so then the 5/8" starter will make noise because the parts clash. The bolt heads will hit the flywheel. You must use the Abell drive or the srevice replacement drive as described in the Service Bulletins.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 05:03 AM   #10
Pepsi Mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
I think you mentioned once that your AA has the multiplate flywheel....right?

If so then the 5/8" starter will make noise because the parts clash. The bolt heads will hit the flywheel. You must use the Abell drive or the srevice replacement drive as described in the Service Bulletins.
Yes you are correct -- it does have a multiplate -- will look up the proper drive and get -- thanks again Tom
Old 07-31-2012, 06:15 AM   #11
supergnat

Pepsi Mechanic,
Those drives (Special Drive A-11350-DR) are hard to find. See pages 288, 570 and 570 in the service bulletins.
I got a NOS one from:
McDonald Obsolete Parts
6458 West Eureka Rd
Rockport, IN 47635
Phone 812-359-4965

I don't know if he has any more but it is worth checking

Supergnat
supergnat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 06:23 PM   #12
Pepsi Mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by supergnat View Post
Pepsi Mechanic,
Those drives (Special Drive A-11350-DR) are hard to find. See pages 288, 570 and 570 in the service bulletins.
I got a NOS one from:
McDonald Obsolete Parts
6458 West Eureka Rd
Rockport, IN 47635
Phone 812-359-4965

I don't know if he has any more but it is worth checking

Supergnat
Awesome -- I will check on Wednesday when I get to work -- thanks for all the help from all -- You guys always have the answers !!