Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-27-2014, 02:06 PM   #1
supergnat

Default Installing 28 wiper motor?

I am about to install the OD-C1B wiper motor from Berts which I rebuilt for my 28 Leatherback. I am not sure what size the mounting hardware should be and also where to place the felt gasket that is mentioned on dealer sites. The motor that came with my car was just a bag of parts when I purchased the car.
Thanks in advance,
Supergnat
supergnat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 04:17 PM   #2
wrndln

Default Re: Installing 28 wiper motor?

Supernat,
I have an OD C1B (the type with the offset main shaft) that was rebuilt by John Holland. I have the same problem as you in understanding how it is mounted. I think maybe Steve at Bert's would probably know how to do it. You might contact him and I am sure he could help you since that is where you bought it. I think A&L has the most complete line of wiper parts. If Steve can't help you, Alan or Bob at A&L probably could.
Rusty Nelson
wrndln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 08:20 PM   #3
supergnat

Default Re: Installing 28 wiper motor? One more question.

Rusty, thanks for the great suggestion. I called Berts and they told me what I needed to know. The motor mounst with 10-32 x 1" screws but they wern't sure if I needed nuts or not. Hopefully someone on the Barn knows. I have been unable to find a felt for my wiper motor so I made one out of some old frost king insulation. Now I have one more question. I'm not sure if I have mounted the blad arm correctly. Please see the photos and let me know if what I have done is correct..I sure hope I put the pined arm on correctly.
Thanks,
Supergnat
Attached Images
File Type: jpg .jpg (56.6 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg 001.jpg (62.3 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg 002.jpg (60.9 KB, 50 views)
Old 02-28-2014, 01:13 AM   #4
Gary Karr

Regarding they way you have assembled the swing arm, it is actually supposed to be mounted on the outside of the swing arm support arm. The swing arm has a small notch that rests against the square mounting bolt head. The felt should be black. Also, the mounting screws are actually 10-32X7/8" cad plated.
Gary Karr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 07:56 PM   #5
supergnat

Thanks for the info Gary. I couldn't put the armn the ocation you suggested because there wasn't enough clearance between the swing arm support and the motor casting. I didn't have an example to look at so I tried what was in the photo. I took the motor apart again and removed one of the inside shims between the shaft gear and the casting. That would have given me more clearance but then the shaft had too much in-out play. I reinstalled the shim and put the motor back together. I am
usuing an after mafket swing arm support. It appears to be slightly oversized due to the plating. I used a sharpening stone and removed some material from the casting side of the swing arm support. I am now able to install the wiper arm correctly (as you described). I plan to dye the felt piece I made black and then install the assembly on my car. It works fine now even with the wiper arm installed.
Thanks for all your help everyone.
Supergnat
Old 02-28-2014, 08:26 PM   #6
d.j. moordigian

Would you post a photo of how it should be.

Thanks to all.
d.j. moordigian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 10:09 AM   #7
supergnat

DJ,
Here are photos of how I bvelieve it should be. If I am wrong, please let me know. I will be installing it on the car as soon as it warms up some. The way it is going here in NJ, that may not be until July.

I realize that the original arm shows some damage but my car is mostly original so it doesn't bother me.
Rich
Attached Images
File Type: jpg .jpg (39.0 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg 001.jpg (60.8 KB, 35 views)
Old 03-01-2014, 11:46 AM   #8
U.P. Ted61741

I am also working on a wiper. Did you have to get a new base? I can't find any place that tell me exactly where the wire runs or how many of the clips that hold the kick panel should be used and if those same clips are used on the driver side. I'm in stalling it in a 28 tudor. You mentioned Berts and John Holland. Do they rebuild wiper motors?
U.P. Ted61741 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 12:57 PM   #9
wrndln

I talked to Steve Becker at Bert's yesterday. He said he has lots of rebuilt original wipers in stock. He said they are about $400 to $450, I believe he said (call him to get an exact price). I don't know what that includes and I don't believe there is any core charge, but I can't be sure of that. The levers and arms are quite expensive. I got my OD-C1B rebuilt by John Holland in Ohio about 3 years ago for about $265 with all the levers installed and the mounting rubber and other hardware except the wiper arm and blade. John did a very good job on it.

Most of the bases have one or both ears broken off (mine had one mounting ear missing), so the wiper needed a new base frame. The base part is expensive at $80 to $100. My cover was cracked, but restorable. Many of the wiper parts were made of pot metal, which doesn't hold up very well, so many pot metal parts are in rough shape after 85 years.

Ted,
I can describe how the wire it routed from the terminal box to the wiper in an email. I have a 28 special coupe, but the wire routing is the same for a tudor. My email address is: [email protected]
Rusty Nelson
wrndln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 03:55 PM   #10
supergnat

The base in the bag of parts that cae with my car was broken and in poor condition. The base on the unrestored unit I purchased from Berts was good byt the saw tooth gear on the inside was shot. Luckily the saw tooth gear that came in the bag with my car was in excellet condition so I was able to successfully rebuild the Berts unit. Hopefully I will not crack it when I try to install it on my car. And, yes, the replacement pot metal parts are expensive.
Supergnat
Old 03-01-2014, 04:09 PM   #11
d.j. moordigian

Got it!.....thank you......
d.j. moordigian is offline   Reply With Quote