Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-17-2014, 06:26 PM   #1
elliotweiland

Default Hotwell health heater

I am new to the early Fords and have a Hotwell Health Heater. I am wondering if I could get any info on it. I found it in my 29 roadster when I bought it. I would like to know anything about it! Is it rare? Is it special? Is it worth anything? I have pics but am not sure how to post them from my desktop. Thanks,
Elliot.
elliotweiland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 07:20 PM   #2
Larry Seemann

Default Re: Hotwell health heater

It's actually an Otwell Health Heater. The most important thing you need to know about it is that the heater part doesn't separate from the manifold part which can be a problem if you want to pull your distributor or just don't want the heater on the engine in the summertime.
Old 01-17-2014, 07:22 PM   #3
ed thibodeau

For summertime use just put a cover over the front of the manifold.
ed thibodeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 07:58 PM   #4
Pepsi Mechanic

they must have made different styles .. ours is on a Canadian made engine from early 28 ... no problem removing the distributor on this one .. here is the advertisement and our heater
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ortwellheater.jpg (42.0 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 503.jpg (64.9 KB, 83 views)
Pepsi Mechanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 01:14 AM   #5
elliotweiland

Thanks for all the help guys! Im not removing the distributor, but it's good to know I can! Are they worth anything by themselves?
Old 01-18-2014, 01:58 AM   #6
verdirick

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Elliott: I believe there were 2 different designs of the Otwell heater that I have seen. The first one did not have the valley for access to the distributor, the later one does. Bottom line is that they do work reasonable well, especially in a closed car. What are they worth???? I have sold one for $50.00. If your firewall has been cut for the Otwell, you are pretty much stuck. The Auto Lite heater (which detaches from the exhaust manifold) outlet is higher on the firewall.
verdirick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 10:58 PM   #7
elliotweiland

thanks for the help! I don't believe my firewall is cut which is interesting because the heater was in the car, but i guess it was never on it.
Old 01-19-2014, 03:41 AM   #8
BILL WILLIAMSON

My '29 Coupe has about a 2 1/2" X 5" oval shape hammered into the firewall, directly behind the exhaust manifold, as if it was to give clearance for some kind?? of manifold heater. There is NO firewall hole. Maybe it was for some heater that was routed down & through the wood floorboard??
I have NO documented or written history on the car, but it came with lots of photos, NONE showing a heater. Welds in the sub frame shows that the cowl WAS replaced & that repair did away with the factory designation letters. The rest of the numbers ARE there. Rebuilder's placque says engine was built in 1987 & has maybe 40 miles on it. I rubbed my hand in the bottom of the oil reservoir & didn't even soil my delicate hand, dipper tray was the same, SHINY clean, cylinder walls shine like a mirror, & has new looking Champion-C-16-C plugs. Firestone tires still had the "nubbies" on the tread, but the sidewalls were cracked & some chunks fell off, BUT the tires never went flat while sittin' in my garage for 2 years! Vermin should be flyin' by the end of next week, if the ANTI-PAIN PILLS HOLD OUT!
Bill W.