Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-16-2011, 07:23 AM   #1
Pepsi Mechanic

Default I thought it was the carb ..but maybe not

Well --- I thought I was having carb issues on the AA .She was running rich and I had to turn the choke contol completly closed to make her run relatively smooth .Never had to before . It was always good at a 1/4 open .. I replaced the carb and the engine is still the same --You crack the choke knob open just slightly and she will cough and sputter and kick out black smoke a bit .. The truck ran in a parade a week ago and the driver had the control open one turn for some dumb reason and then kept trying to drive it .. plus it was a very hot day .This started all this .. I changed the plugs as they were carboned up bad .. as I say she seems to run OK when the control is completly closed .. not as good as it did but OK ... I am fearfull that the engine may have lost some compression .. the engine is original and has never been rebuilt ... At least she still runs .. need to do a Pepsi Foundation Charity event Monday . Any thoughts out there .. I am thinking she ran so rich that it washed away some of the carbon in the engine that was acually helping the compression
Pepsi Mechanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 08:19 AM   #2
Jim/GA

Default Re: I thought it was the carb ..but maybe not

"Most carburetor problems are electrical" (ignition). You replaced the plugs. The heat might have done in your condenser; easy and cheap to swap out. Check the condition of the points and the point gap. Look at the rotor and cap in strong sunlight or under a good lamp to check for any carbon trails (crossfire).

After all that, if it runs OK with the GAV closed, then just run it that way.
Jim/GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 08:22 AM   #3
bogdonj

Nice to see someone so close to walkerton!!!! when you replaced the carb was it a tested one or one that was laying around? This happened to me and turned out the carb was to blame..with whatever setting you had on the carb it will still make the engine run rich and fowl the plugs. rebuilt the carb and the problem stopped. After you put on the carb did you set it up by following the steps?
bogdonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 10:59 AM   #4
Pepsi Mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdonj View Post
Nice to see someone so close to walkerton!!!! when you replaced the carb was it a tested one or one that was laying around? This happened to me and turned out the carb was to blame..with whatever setting you had on the carb it will still make the engine run rich and fowl the plugs. rebuilt the carb and the problem stopped. After you put on the carb did you set it up by following the steps?
The new carb came from Mac's ... I set everything up as it should be ... The engine has electronic ignition so that simplifies everything ... I will rebuild the original carb and reinstall it next week some time and try that ... Are you going to the Bothwell car show next month ? I will be there with the Pepsi truck ... Harry
Old 07-16-2011, 12:19 PM   #5
bogdonj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepsi Mechanic View Post
The new carb came from Mac's ... I set everything up as it should be ... The engine has electronic ignition so that simplifies everything ... I will rebuild the original carb and reinstall it next week some time and try that ... Are you going to the Bothwell car show next month ? I will be there with the Pepsi truck ... Harry

Might try to make it down but I will be at the Model A meet in Goderich in Aug... you going to that?

\
Justin
Old 07-16-2011, 02:06 PM   #6
Randy in Illinois

Recently, I thought I had a faulty condenser problem, hard start, backfire, ran poorly. I would loose spark at the points after about 5 sparks to ground at points arm, Checked voltages on every wire and found intermintant no voltage when I moved the wire to the ignition switch (orig. popout) I pulled the insterment panel off and when I did, the insulated nut fell off. Problem fixed , tightened loose wire.
Randy in Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 02:10 PM   #7
Pepsi Mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdonj View Post
Might try to make it down but I will be at the Model A meet in Goderich in Aug... you going to that?

\
Justin
When in August ?
Old 07-16-2011, 02:11 PM   #8
Pepsi Mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy in Illinois View Post
Recently, I thought I had a faulty condenser problem, hard start, backfire, ran poorly. I would loose spark at the points after about 5 sparks to ground at points arm, Checked voltages on every wire and found intermintant no voltage when I moved the wire to the ignition switch (orig. popout) I pulled the insterment panel off and when I did, the insulated nut fell off. Problem fixed , tightened loose wire.
Ours has electronic ignition ... I might try changing the cap and rotor next week .. runs good on acceleration as long as the choke rod is closed
Old 07-16-2011, 02:50 PM   #9
Randy in Illinois

My point was, any loose wires? coil, terminal box or any to your electronic ignition? that may interupt voltage to the ignition system. air gap of the triggering pick up coil (if used)
Randy in Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 03:20 PM   #10
Pepsi Mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy in Illinois View Post
My point was, any loose wires? coil, terminal box or any to your electronic ignition? that may interupt voltage to the ignition system. air gap of the triggering pick up coil (if used)
Understood Randy ... I will need to go over everything closely next week .. she is due for a service anyway ... Here is hoping it's something simple
Old 07-16-2011, 03:21 PM   #11
bogdonj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepsi Mechanic View Post
When in August ?

correct! Aug 20th I believe
Old 07-16-2011, 04:30 PM   #12
Jim Parker Toronto

Our Get a way tour to Godrich is August 19-21, I will be there at the Cedar Lodge motel..... maybe see you Sunday evening Harry, Jim
Jim Parker Toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 05:38 PM   #13
Pepsi Mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Parker Toronto View Post
Our Get a way tour to Godrich is August 19-21, I will be there at the Cedar Lodge motel..... maybe see you Sunday evening Harry, Jim
Lookin forward to that .. I should be there around 6 pm. ... depending on traffic
Old 07-17-2011, 12:25 PM   #14
Pepsi Mechanic

Default Re: I thought it was the carb ..but maybe not .. problem solved

well --- just so everyone knows I figured out my run rich problem ... It was right infront of my eyes --- because the engine was run so rich to begin with it was coughing and missing etc. This in turn clogged up the air cleaner from the inside out with carbon ... Took the aircleaner off and you could hear the air flow increase dramatically ... sometimes you are looking so hard for the problem you forget to look right infront of you ...
thanks everyone for your help Harry / pepsi mechanic