Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-12-2017, 11:01 AM   #41
Hoop

Default Re: re-install 36 distributor

From the Pittsburgh Press, Feb. 14, 1932:

https://www.newspapers.com/newspage/146911503/

"FORD ORDERS MILLION PARTS FOR NEW AUTO Distributor Inventor to Furnish Changed Type isy The Unitea Press" ' TOLEDO, O., Feb. 13 The Ford Motor Company has placed an order for 1,000,000 new-type ignition distributors with the Mallory Electric Corporation, of Toledo, who announced the order today. The distributors invention of Marion Mallory, president, as part of a vacuum controlled ignition system will be used for the first time on the new eight-cylinder Fords. Ford engineers collaborated on the invention."
Old 11-12-2017, 02:41 PM   #42
FlatheadTed

Send a message via AIM to FlatheadTed

I think Ford recruited Mallory to help them as they were having trouble getting it to work Hoops post says They used part of a Mallorys invention .They wanted to make 4000 engines a day so that's a lot of suppliers .In the 34 book it lists the suppliers to Ford and Mallory does not fetcher ,that's not to say he wasn't involved.

Flathead Ted brake Floaters ,

Last edited by FlatheadTed; 11-12-2017 at 06:03 PM.
FlatheadTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 06:35 PM   #43
rotorwrench

Model T & A cars were more simple but Ford had a lot of outside suppliers to back him up. The Model B and Model 18 cars sort of split the line so things got a lot more complex in 1932. Ford also had companies supplying parts for the older Model A and Model T after the change in 1932 so that the company could concentrate on new production. To have a complete and unabridged list of suppliers would be a monumental task to research in this day and age. A lot of information out there is incomplete and may only include one side to a story on some things. There are a lot of good books out there on the Ford cars and Henry Ford but it would take a whole lot larger book to include the whole history from each perspective I'm sure.

That news article mentions that Mallory was still in Toledo. He moved his whole operation to Detroit shortly after that.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 08:34 PM   #44
FlatheadTed

I think the posts show who put the Distributor on the front and it was Henry and Emil ,this was not new to Henry as he had it on the T .in the 34 book it lists the Exhibiters at the word fair and Mallory was one ,In a 1936 shop book I have it shows a Mallory distributor a Dbl point affair and on another page it shows the Ford distributor making a distinction between them ,The Dbl points were used by Lincoln Cadillac v8s ,Delco and others at the time it could have been Mallorys Patent though.There is no question that there was a collaboration between them & Mallory good enough to get the contract for a 1.000,000 units

Last edited by FlatheadTed; 11-12-2017 at 09:36 PM.
Old 11-13-2017, 08:19 PM   #45
FlatheadTed

This wasn't my thread But thanks Rotor wrench, Hoop and others ,I certainly have learnt something ,Mallory had a greater input than what I thought .Ted

Old 11-14-2017, 11:07 AM   #46
BUBBAS IGNITION

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlatheadTed View Post
This wasn't my thread But thanks Rotor wrench, Hoop and others ,I certainly have learnt something ,Mallory had a greater input than what I thought .Ted
I just re read the article on Emil Zoerlein , my take was that Mallory (Indianapolis) helped them out with the igntion coil on the Zoerlien distributor. The tall coil has a Model A coil inside it...
BUBBAS IGNITION is offline   Reply With Quote