Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-25-2020, 01:55 PM   #1
GB SISSON

Default Dropped spindles for clearance?

Having installed this diesel engine in my 47 ford tonner (otherwise stock), I find I would like more clearance between the drag link and the oil pan. In 30 trial miles it has not made any contact with the freshly painted pan, but I could see scenarios where it would. I picture a sort of 'U' bend in the drag link but went online about a dropped drag link. Turns out they make drop arms for ford spindles. My tonner uses same as half ton spindles. Couldn't tell from the pics how they bolt to the spindles. Do the two top backing plates bolt into the slingshot ends and I cut off the existing arms? The current stock drag link has about a 20 degree kink downwards on the pass side already. I would probably use the 1 3/4" drops from speedway? Make a new drag link?... But bending tubing? Looks like the stock link is solid rod. Any ideas? I could get a pic soon. Thanks
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 02:13 PM   #2
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Default Re: Dropped spindles for clearance?

Any reason you don't want to just heat and drop them? Would be much simpler, quicker and cheaper way to go.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 02:28 PM   #3
my4dv8

Fitting dropped steering arms means you need to cut off the ford ones. As Jseery said a heat and bend may be in order. Put them in a vice heat them only just enough to bend down with a wrench then bend close to the eye back to 90 degrees and cool as slow as possible.
my4dv8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 02:28 PM   #4
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB SISSON View Post
Having installed this diesel engine in my 47 ford tonner (otherwise stock), I find I would like more clearance between the drag link and the oil pan. In 30 trial miles it has not made any contact with the freshly painted pan, but I could see scenarios where it would. I picture a sort of 'U' bend in the drag link but went online about a dropped drag link. Turns out they make drop arms for ford spindles. My tonner uses same as half ton spindles. Couldn't tell from the pics how they bolt to the spindles. Do the two top backing plates bolt into the slingshot ends and I cut off the existing arms? The current stock drag link has about a 20 degree kink downwards on the pass side already. I would probably use the 1 3/4" drops from speedway? Make a new drag link?... But bending tubing? Looks like the stock link is solid rod. Any ideas? I could get a pic soon. Thanks

Tubing can be bent, but you have to employ some different methods to prevent kinking instead of bending. It's likely that you'll have to make a new drag link because when you lower the attach point on the spindle arm, you increase the distance from the Pitman arm. Sumthin' to consider anyway! The dropped spindle arms bolt-on where the LOWER backing plate bolts go thru the spindle flange. You DO have to cut the existing arms off. Here are some typical aftermarket, dropped arms below, plus an installed arm on a spindle for reference. DD

………...

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 02:56 PM   #5
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Why would you be bending any tubing, we're talking spindle arms correct?
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 03:25 PM   #6
tubman

I have seen Ford spindles with the arms cut off for sale cheap. I would spend a little time looking around for a pair of those before I cut up a good set.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 03:47 PM   #7
deuce lover

You could try these dropped tie rod ends from Speedway

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Speed...nds,50152.html

deuce lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 05:30 PM   #8
my4dv8

That looks like the ticket for an easy fix for his truck. Just measure the exact length of the original before disassembly of tie rod To ensure same wheel alignment. It will most likely have 17” wheels so no ground clearance issues.
my4dv8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 08:57 AM   #9
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by deuce lover View Post
You could try these dropped tie rod ends from Speedway

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Speed...nds,50152.html

Thanks all! I think Duece lover wins my vote. The pass side fixed end of the drag link already has a bend in the right direction. I really only need to lower the driver's side. Right now the draglink runs downhill and with the dropped tie rod end should run paralell to the tie rod. And easy! Edit: Says for 48-64 trucks. Don't see any problems, but maybe thread dia and pitch. Are ours 11/16" 18 pitch?
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
Old 04-26-2020, 09:42 AM   #10
Bored&Stroked

I'm not sure on the pitch of the later cars, but for a 32 tie-rod, it was a sort of funny fine pitch . . . seems it was finer than 18??? (I'm in the house at the moment, but I remember having to buy a fine die to rethread my tie-rod once I dropped the axle) - had to cut it shorter.
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 10:20 AM   #11
GB SISSON

I searched around and on Macs or Drakes site they show the same part number for tie rod ends from '32 til at least '53, so I should be good. For 50 bucks I'll order them!
Old 04-26-2020, 10:36 AM   #12
deuce lover

Let know how it works out !
Old 04-28-2020, 08:22 AM   #13
tub1

ive just got a big bend in my drag link to clear the sump in my 48 pu with diesel power makes adjusting the toe in a slow job but it works
tub1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 10:34 AM   #14
GB SISSON

I'm thinking the drag link is solid rod stock, correct?
Old 04-28-2020, 10:40 AM   #15
deuce lover

I think he means tie rod.No cross steering on a 48 F1
Old 04-29-2020, 12:59 AM   #16
Tinker

Do the drop spindles. Better geometry. In my opinion.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 01:56 AM   #17
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
Do the drop spindles. Better geometry. In my opinion.

Did you perhaps mean to say "dropped spindle ARMS"? You can get "dropped spindles" for '49-'54 Chevys, but NOT for old Fords with I-beams! Could you please explain what would be better about the geometry? DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 02:23 AM   #18
Tinker

We are talking about fords to my knowledge. But maybe chevy now. Yes heat or buy bolt on.

Spindle to spindle, verse adding a bunch of angles to forces inline. Drop spindles keep all linkage inline. Adding linkage off angle over time will add issues. Or not. My thinking is keep it simple. It's the same with lifting a truck. Less angles the better on steering linkage.

the tie rod drop links might just be fine here. the more the drop, more pressure on the rod ends. probably just fine here though.

Last edited by Tinker; 04-29-2020 at 03:16 AM.
Old 04-29-2020, 03:26 AM   #19
Tinker

I have two sticks to choose from to lean against a wall to brace me against a waterfall. Would I pick a straight stick, or a crooked one?

....or a starwars reference. you are in a trash compactor that is closing in. would you grab a crooked pipe or a straight pipe to make a brace.

Last edited by Tinker; 04-29-2020 at 03:48 AM.
Old 04-29-2020, 07:00 AM   #20
Mart

Personally I'd not use the bolt on steering arms on a heavy vehicle like your truck. I'd heat and bend the originals or use the dropped ends like pictured above. I'd also be looking at modifying the oil pan or whatever it is that is causing the foul condition. It all boils down to how much interference needs to be adjusted for and the consequences if contact is made. suspension travel is probably quite limited. How often would you expect the clash to occur?

Mart.
Mart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 10:27 AM   #21
GB SISSON

[QUOTE=Mart;1880970]Personally I'd not use the bolt on steering arms on a heavy vehicle like your truck. I'd heat and bend the originals or use the dropped ends like pictured above. I'd also be looking at modifying the oil pan or whatever it is that is causing the foul condition. It all boils down to how much interference needs to be adjusted for and the consequences if contact is made. suspension travel is probably quite limited. How often would you expect the clash to occur?

Maybe today I can get a photo or two. The dropped ends arrived on Wednesday and upon inspection it will be too long to just thread on. It looks like I'll have to shorten the drag link and re-thread. There is a factory made bend on the pass side of about 20 degrees. It looks like solid rod about 7/8" od, reduced on the end for the threads. I have about 1 1/4" before the pan hits. It hasn't yet in maybe 150 miles including my badly pot-holed dirt road up the mountain. Still I know this isn't nearly enough clearance, so I'm gonna do something soon