Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-09-2020, 07:31 AM   #1
harleycontracter

Default Convert to 12 Volt ?

Never had a 6 volt car. I was going to leave everything as it is stock. Is there a reason to convert to 12 volt it I'm running all stock ?
harleycontracter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 07:46 AM   #2
Jim/GA

Default Re: Convert to 12 Volt ?

No strong reason to convert in your case. Search the Barn for previous discussions.

Jim/GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 08:07 AM   #3
Badpuppy

Rather a hassle to change over - replace battery, coil, all the light bulbs. Rewind or add a resistor to horn and wiper motor, if present. Starter fields should be redone as well. Only thing wrong with 6V is the generator third brush guessing game. Since your car is all stock, let the dog sleep.
Badpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 08:21 AM   #4
Licensed to kill

I like the 6V system. It's one of the many things that gives the model A it's "charm" IMO. I personally would not covert to 12V and if I bought one that was converted I don't think I would bother to convert it back. However, if I was looking at one that was 12V I would pay less than I would if it was still 6V. For the repost, I have 3 model A's that are 12V. 1 with a 327 SBC tripower, 4" chop, TCI chassis, 1 with a 350SBC and one with a 2.4L diesel. If you are going to start modifying, may as well go all the way. I like them all (well the diesel is still under construction) but I think my '31 stock crew cab is the most fun to drive
Licensed to kill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 10:32 AM   #5
Ruth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Licensed to kill View Post
I think my '31 stock crew cab is the most fun to drive
They had a crew cab in 1931?
Old 10-09-2020, 10:37 AM   #6
Purdy Swoft

I prefer a more powerful twelve volt electrical system . No wiring changes are needed as long as the system remains positive ground . When converting to twelve volts , I prefer to use a three OHM coil . The original coil can be used if a resister is used at the coil connections . I prefer to use the Pertronix flamethrower three OHM coil that gives instant starts and more power than can be felt . Twelve volt batteries and electrical components are readily available . a Slow turning starter doesn't turn me on in the least .
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 10:47 AM   #7
Tacoma Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purdy Swoft View Post
I prefer a more powerful twelve volt electrical system . No wiring changes are needed as long as the system remains positive ground . When converting to twelve volts , I prefer to use a three OHM coil . The original coil can be used if a resister is used at the coil connections . I prefer to use the Pertronix flamethrower three OHM coil that gives instant starts and more power than can be felt . Twelve volt batteries and electrical components are readily available . a Slow turning starter doesn't turn me on in the least .
Ditto!
Tacoma Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 12:32 PM   #8
Tom Endy

Six-volts works just fine. The reason the car industry converted to 12-volts in the mid-1950's was so they could reduce the cross section of the copper wire used in each car and save a bundle of money.

If you are doing a ground up restoration it might make sense to convert to 12-volts since you are going to be buying the electrical components anyway. Twelve-volts makes it easier to operate modern devices such as GPS, back-up cameras, and charging a cell phone. Also 12-volt batteries are more readily available from your local auto parts store.

Tom Endy
Tom Endy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 12:50 PM   #9
springerpete

Instead of taking the time to convert to 12 v and instead of spending money in an un needed way, go for a drive, enjoy your A get a take-out meal and cruise.
springerpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 12:55 PM   #10
Purdy Swoft

Its more of a personal choice for me . Nobody said that any conversion was necessary .
Old 10-09-2020, 02:32 PM   #11
Patrick L.

Yep, if everything is about as it should be these old critters start right up and run just fine with a battery that has only 3 holes.

I think LED lights are a good upgrade, but, they've run for decades before they were discovered.

But, I don't like alternators on these monsters so what do I know.
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 03:04 PM   #12
GerryAllen

Patrick, why do not like alternators?
GerryAllen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 04:11 PM   #13
Purdy Swoft

I use my original unmodified generator on twelve volts . the generator charges in amps .The battery controls the voltage . I chose for the system to remain positive ground because no wires would need to be changed . In other words , I installed a three OHM coil , changed all the bulbs , used a resister on any six volt accessory and installed a twelve volt battery , positive ground . The unmodified generator and starter works good with no modifications .I've been running a Fun projects can style voltage regulator . Before that I run the cut out and used the headlamps as a voltage regulator . There is another voltage regulator that installs inside the generator that is offered . I use the halogen bulbs that fit the original sockets . I think the 25 watt halogen bulbs work good with the generator . If the more powerful 55 watt bulbs are used you will need to use an alternator .
Old 10-09-2020, 04:35 PM   #14
Licensed to kill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth View Post
They had a crew cab in 1931?
Yup......4 door
Licensed to kill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 07:51 PM   #15
Mulletwagon

My 31 came with a 12 volt, negative ground, alternator system. I like the faster cranking, 12volt compatibility with electronic devices, and capability to get a readily available jump. If I had a perfectly working 6 volt system I would not change it. There is something to keeping everything original, but I also have seat belts, turn indicators, and electronic ignition. Everything works great and has proven to be reliable. A regular topic on the forum is generator problems which is often the reason the 12 volt alternator system upgrade is contemplated. In the end it is really just a personal choice.
Mulletwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 10:20 AM   #16
Patrick L.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GerryAllen View Post
Patrick, why do not like alternators?

I guess I should have said that I don't like alternators on an old car that came with a generator. An alternator on a Model A just isn't right, to me.
The generator works just fine on 6 or 12v as long as you don't need more than 10 amps. Most alternators today have a built in regulator, I grew up in days orfexternal regulators. I like to use one of Tom W's internal regulators, bullet-proof. Alternators also have a parasitic draw, but, a master cut-off switch can overcome that.
When it comes to fixing them, I don't mind either one.
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 11:03 AM   #17
Purdy Swoft

I have had excellent results with the Fun Projects can style voltage regulator , it looks completely original .
Old 10-10-2020, 11:21 AM   #18
30 Closed Cab PU

Quote:
Originally Posted by harleycontracter View Post
Never had a 6 volt car. I was going to leave everything as it is stock. Is there a reason to convert to 12 volt it I'm running all stock ?

If you convert to 12v anything electrical other than the generator should be converted to 12v.

If the starter is not converted, it spins faster, and can be hard on the starter Bendix, and also the flywheel pinion gear. Some will say not to worry about it, some recommend converting to a 12 v starter. The 6 v starter can also be modified by rearranging the windings, or you can purchase the correct windings.

Other things - 12 v lamps, 12 volt ignition coil or addition of a ballast resistor to the 6v coil , if a DC wiper a dropping resistor. The horn may need a dropping resistor.

Personally I run 6V and the only time I have had problems starting was when I was a newbie and the battery lead to the frame was rusty/corroded and not tightened down properly. An A in good running condition, with good electrical wiring/connections will start on the 1st, second, or 3rd compression. One modification that helps is to run a large gauge cable from the battery frame connection to a bolt on the bell housing, This extra cable insures you have an excellent current path for the high load (80 Amps or more) from the starter back to the battery.

Some highly recommend 12v alternators. I have no issues running 6v so am fine running 6V. Just make sure you add a drop of oil every oil change to the generator's 2 oil points.

There are cases where running 12v is necessary. As with high current loads like an electrical heater, lots of extra lights, those who need air conditioning, etc. I look at a lot of the generator complaints as we are using 90 year old parts, if taken care of and have been rebuilt properly they are OK, it is just that alternators do no require any maintenance and are usually trouble/maintenance free as long as the bearings are good, and if the internal diodes do not go bad.
30 Closed Cab PU is offline   Reply With Quote