Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-05-2013, 08:00 AM   #1
Special Coupe Frank

Default Vintage valve-grinding machines...

For several years, I've had a hankering to get a valve grinding machine ( an older one).

Cruising eBay and Craigslist, I've mostly found Sioux, Black & Decker, and Kwik-Way.

Assuming a given machine is complete and all motors functional, is there a particular make that's more practical these days, in terms of finding replacement wheels, etc ?

Thanks...

SC Frank
Special Coupe Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 08:32 AM   #2
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default Re: Vintage valve-grinding machines...

Frank, the biggest thing you need to do is find one that is not worn. Using a dial indicator on the stem of a valve, measure the concentricity of the arbor. Then rotate the valve 90° in chuck and measure again and see what the run-out is. A good machine within tolerance will likely be in the $1,000.00+ range.

As for buying replacement stones, Goodson is who I use. Not cheap but it should last you for awhile.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 09:43 AM   #3
Patrick L.

Exactly, to what Brent said. I think all of the brands are good depending on the condition. Condition and completeness is everything. I've seen many for sale that are incomplete, especially the the seat grinder/cutter stuff. All the pilots and stone cutter/facer needs to be there.
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 09:51 AM   #4
Jim Brierley

Another thing to look at is will the chuck accept the Model A valve with its mushroom stem. Most older machines will but newer ones may not expand enough.
Jim Brierley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 10:09 AM   #5
Kevin in NJ

My brother, kurt in NJ, would be able to tell you all about the different older machines and how much they cost at the flea markets. Send him a PM.

He has several machines and each has its purpose. I know he had a very old machine that works better for small stems. Then he has the red one he used the most that is his tight machine and would handle the old and new valves.

For setting the valve lengths there is a valve mic which you put in the hole on the block to set the length and then you put the valve in the jig and grind till it fits. It is the kind of tool many do not know what it looks like and can be had cheap cause people do not know what it is.
Kevin in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 10:17 AM   #6
redmodelt

I think he is asking about a valve face grinder not a seat grinder but in any case;
New arbors are available for the popular brands including K O Lee of seat cutters/grinders. If you get one make sure it has the stone dresser with it (seat or valve grinder).
With a good arbor, the correct insert for doing Model A valves and the correct angle on the stone no matter the age of the unit I would think it should be self centering even with some wear in the stone holder, as long as you try to keep everything in a straight line.
redmodelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 10:25 AM   #7
Bruce Lancaster
Member Emeritus

Goodson is a good source for wheels and things..they seem to have the likely needs for my Black and Decker Snap-on. Get catalogs and make sure you have a source before you buy a machine!
Bruce Lancaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 11:11 AM   #8
Rowdy
BANNED

I got lucky and the $30 BD isn't worn out, still need to fx the stone dresser. Also need a dresser for the Thorson seat grinder. I really need to spend more time evaluating what else is missing. Rod
Rowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 09:25 PM   #9
KR500

Kwik Way was the first to offer(other than KRW) a stem grinding feature on the right side of their machine. I believe it was designated P. Later they offered a retrofit wet base which could be fitted to and older machine and offer coolant flow on the valve or stem during refacing. Some of the older Sioux offer only 45 degree setting and not wet. Black & Decker, Thor, and Van Norman were dry machines for a long period of time. I have always liked Kwik Way for babbitt poring molds, cylinder boring and align boring machines. I agree a good valve grinder would go for $750.00- $1000
KR500 is offline   Reply With Quote