Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-20-2016, 08:47 PM   #21
TomT/Williamsburg

Default Re: Looking for a Particular T5 Thread

I wanted to update you all on my progress. Presently I have the stock 39 style t-out bearing setup in place save for the t-out bearing itself. The t-out bearing I am using is an early 90s Camaro unit that matches the diaphram p-plate I am using. I have not modified the stock t-out bearing carrier - I have just placed the Camaro bearing in front of the stock carrier. Everything lines up, has clearance, and will work very nicely IF I can get the center 1 1/16" 10 spline center in the clutch to be about 1/2" longer towards the tranny. That will give it a better byte on the splines of the main shaft of the tranny. I presently have only about 1/2" on it and less when the clutch is engaged. Fort Wayne Clutch is working on a solution and I hope to hear from them Monday .....

So - to the pictures ....

First pic - in case you do not know, I am using the Cornhusker adapter and kit. However, the hole for the return spring was too far forward (that is the tab with the hole in it), and left play in the cross shaft arm that could have resulted in the carrier popping out of the embrace of the clutch fork ....
Second pic - Johnrodz had come over to visit and suggested I drill a hole and run a cotter pin into the adapter to move the attach point further back, resulting in a tighter setup and no chance for the clutch fork to disengage itself from the carrier ....
Third pic - this is the t-out bearing "at rest" and the blue line represents the contact point of the fingers of the diaphram p-plate
Fourth pic - this is where the t-out with reside once the clutch pedal is pressed
Fifth pic - when everything is all together, this is where the clutch disk will sit on the main shaft of the tranny
Sixth pic - this shows how far "off" the splines of the main shaft the disk will be. The disk can reside as in the fifth picture if the center of the clutch disk has its main splined center be about 1/2" bigger going towards the center, leaving 1" of that center on the untapered portion of the splined end of the main shaft.

Hopefully, this is not clear as mud!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20160820_163624349.jpg (36.5 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20160820_163633317.jpg (30.5 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20160820_165833647.jpg (32.3 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20160820_165616813.jpg (34.9 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20160820_163603785.jpg (47.1 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20160820_163611188.jpg (51.8 KB, 41 views)
TomT/Williamsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 08:24 PM   #22
TomT/Williamsburg

Comments?
Old 08-22-2016, 12:11 AM   #23
38bill

On mine there is play in the cross arm fork until the clutch pedal linkage is attached and that puts tension on it so the fork can not pop off. I believe that is typical. I think you really need it to be attached to the clutch pedal in the car to be able to see whats really going to work with your pedal travel. That's why I stuck with the stock overall length of the hub and TO bearing. It appears to me that yours is way to long to work. Can you shorten the stock hub like I did? What holds the Chevy bearing to the hub?
38bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 07:26 AM   #24
TomT/Williamsburg

I appreciate your comments - your working setup is really what has pushed me to get this accomplished .....

You are absolutely right though - I need to bolt everything together to see how she works. The t-out bearing will just be tack welded to the carrier in three spots and I can cut down the carrier for more clearance so I am good there. My main concern now is the clutch disk - hopefully Fort Wayne Clutch can come up with something .... if not I may have to be a bit more creative for that center piece .....

I will keep you posted ....
Old 08-23-2016, 04:41 PM   #25
TomT/Williamsburg

Keeping you informed .....

Well, there is no clutch disk out there as per Fort Wayne Clutch to solve my problem so they are sending me another center piece. Once I mock everything up and determine what I need for length, I will weld the two pieces of center section together, trim it to size and send it to Fort Wayne Clutch for them to make a new clutch disk for me.

This is breaking new ground I know - I have my good friend Dave Havlir at House of Fab who is an excellent tig welder and, vs starting all over again, this is my only option at this time. Nothing ventured, nothing gained ......
Old 08-27-2016, 10:58 PM   #26
TomT/Williamsburg

I did a full mock up of the clutch setup which proved what I had suspected about the clutch disk residing only about 1/2" on the untapered splines (vs the 1" it should be on). I will talk to Fort Wayne Clutch one more time regarding some specific measurements. I did receive their center and I must say it is a lot heavier duty than what the cheap Chinese disk I have has. There is a clutch disk place in Richmond I will present my problem to as well. So, that portion is still in the works but .....

The t-out setup is going to work just fine - I have at least 3/8" clearance between my t-out bearing and the fingers of my p-plate ( check pic). No machining of the stock t-out carrier is needed. I also put some paint on the tranny main shaft through the fingers of the pressure plate to where the clutch disk sits on the shaft to determine the clutch disk position when not changing gears.

Here are some pics - you can see where I thought the clutch disk would reside on the splined shaft and I was pretty much spot on ..... I will keep you posted on this.

On a side note, my project as a whole suffered setback when my frame was discovered not to be straight yet again. I was trying to square up the front and rear suspension and it kept being off on the diagonal measurements. So, my buddy, jacksandeuces on the HAMB, who has built many 32s, came over and verified things were not right. He graciously offered to put my frame on his 32 frame jig after labor day .... that's hot rodding .....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20160827_122553318.jpg (21.7 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20160827_132222693.jpg (23.2 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20160827_131406754.jpg (39.5 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20160827_143207819.jpg (28.2 KB, 31 views)
Old 09-01-2016, 07:07 PM   #27
TomT/Williamsburg

The welding of the two center hub pieces failed miserably - the two metals had so many impurities they both oozed oil when we tried to weld them. Now I am looking into making a center hub at the length I need or shaving of one or both of the adapters to get the difference I need ....

Nothing is ever easy .......
Old 09-03-2016, 09:30 PM   #28
TomT/Williamsburg

Default Diaphram Pressure Plate and a T5

Another update - a buddy of mine told me that some clutch disks from his racing days were made with shims or spacers to move the center hub of the clutch disk closer towards the tranny or further way, depending as their combination needed. I will go back to the local clutch shop in Richmond and see what they have to say ..... he used a riveted center hub like I presently have ...

Here are some pics of the weld process - to me it looks like a stick weld and my buddy confirmed it saying it was probably a nickel plated stick rod with the flux removed from the outside of it and then used in a tig weld.

If these updates are not relevant to anyone, I will stop - they are kind of off topic but I thought they might be of some interest to those doing or thinking of doing a similar motor/trans combo or run into a similar situation ..... you can PM me with your comments if you like ....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20160902_213056221[1].jpg (23.6 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20160902_213049242[1].jpg (33.0 KB, 23 views)
Old 09-04-2016, 10:55 AM   #29
38bill

Tom, Keep going. I love seeing how others attack and solve problems.
38bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 01:24 PM   #30
TomT/Williamsburg

Hey,c thanks - but if you follow me I tend to take a kind of erratic course! I do try to think outside the box however, I am not afraid to fail (just disappointed and frustrated when I do), and there's ALWAYS more than one way to skin a cat!
Old 09-05-2016, 06:08 AM   #31
white64

is this what you guys are looking for, it's what I used on my '40 t5/8ba...

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Search...ide%20Bushings
white64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 01:25 PM   #32
TomT/Williamsburg

Thanks but no - we are trying to mate a Chevy p-plate to a Ford clutch disk for a Ford T5 trans. This requires a special t-out bearing setup, which is resolved, but the clutch disk is only on about 1/2" of splines on the main shaft to the trans. I need 3/4" plus of byte on the splined or else I will just shear off the main shaft splines on a hard launch.

Mush of what is out there is for a Chevy pattern T5 - the Ford is different, takes a different adapter. My tabs usxa T5Z which is the trans Tremec based on.

Read back in the thread and you will get more info .....
Old 09-06-2016, 04:15 PM   #33
TomT/Williamsburg

A long day today, talking to many people about my problem after the long weekend. The result is that I am going to shave down my T5 adapter and what ever I get out of that is what I get - looks like a minimum of 1/4", maybe even up to 3/8". This was suggested by Russell Martin, the nail head guru I have ordered my parts from.

I ordered a McLeod clutch disk, 673-260130, so I can mock everything up, make my measurements, and know how much to shave off. I will also check my t-out bearing clearances and see if I need to shave the stock t-out bearing holder ....

Minimum I am hoping for is 3/4" of a byte - I would be ecstatic with 7/8-1". We shall see .....
Old 09-06-2016, 06:44 PM   #34
JSeery
Member Emeritus

This sounds like a much better approach to me. Will you have enough clearance on the end of the input shaft and the pilot bearing?
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 08:11 PM   #35
TomT/Williamsburg

That is why I need to do a mock up and take careful measurements ....... I will keep you posted .....
Old 09-13-2016, 10:26 PM   #36
TomT/Williamsburg

Got my new clutch disk in and I really like the way the center hub is mounted, moving it closer to the tranny, in essence helping to solve my problem. I will mock things up tomorrow to see how much of a shave I need on the adapter....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20160913_222202480.jpg (49.7 KB, 10 views)
Old 09-21-2016, 09:21 AM   #37
TomT/Williamsburg

Finally got a chance to check things out and it looks like I gained a little more than a 1/16th with this new clutch disk and I will shave the adapter just about 3/8". That will give me almost an inch of byte. I can't ask for anything more than that. I will have to shave the stock ford t-out bearing carrier about 3/8" as well.

The shave on the adapter is about where the black line is, even with the slight indentation on the adapter ....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20160920_092602578_HDR[1].jpg (52.7 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20160920_093626199_HDR[1].jpg (54.2 KB, 17 views)

Last edited by TomT/Williamsburg; 09-21-2016 at 09:33 AM.