Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-16-2014, 11:47 AM   #1
RobertB

Default Concours

OK...this is not strickly a Model A question, but:

If you could only afford to attend one national concours in 2015, which one would it be?

I don't mean the annual Model A meets, those go without saying, I'm talking Pebble Beach or Amelia Island and places like that. Some place you would see Wayne Corini or Jay Leno.

I just got an email (Classic Cars.com) about the Amelia Island show in April. Sterling Moss will be there with 20 of the cars he raced in.

Attending one of these events is on my bucket list...you know hobnobbing with the rich folks and the gear heads in one place.

I love my Model A, but my interest in cars includes most everything older than 1974. So, what say you. I know I can count on this group for opinions, but I'd really like them to be opinions about which of these big shows to attend, maybe even based on experience, rather than what a fool I am for liking any non-Ford vehicle not produced from 1929 to 1931.

Old 12-16-2014, 12:00 PM   #2
Brother Hesekiel

Default Re: Concours

I've been to all of them, as I can do this on business dime, and they all have their unique charm. Given the choice, I would suggest you save up and plan to attend Pebble Beach/Monterey in August. There is so much to do, so much to see, there are so many different events, all within a few miles and day after day after day, that you can see more and spend more you ever thought were possible.

Brother Hesekiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 02:01 PM   #3
glenn in camino

I went to Pebble Beach in 05, the same year I went to Hershey. Both were on my bucket list so I'm now ready for whatever happens.
glenn in camino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 02:09 PM   #4
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

I'm going to the Boca Raton Concours in February.
Old 12-16-2014, 03:18 PM   #5
Gary Karr

If its Jay Leno that you want to see, come to the Horseless Carriage Holiday Motor Excursion in Pasadena, CA on Sunday, 28 December. He always attends this great show/rally. For California, you can't beat Pebble Beach.
Gary Karr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 03:27 PM   #6
Bob Bidonde

Amelia Island.
Old 12-16-2014, 03:37 PM   #7
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

I flew to Pebble Beach last year and Amelia Island the year before. Not to disappoint you but do not expect the rich and famous to run over and socialize with you. Many of the cars are not accompanied by the owners and the owners tend to form their own clique or group. Having said that I loved both shows because I went for the cars, not the owners.
Wayne

Last edited by C26Pinelake; 12-16-2014 at 04:33 PM.
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 04:57 PM   #8
gz

1-Pebble Beach Concours (and the whole week of Monterey events including the races, etc)
2-St. John's Concours (formerly Meadowbrook) Plymouth, MI
3-Amelia Island Concours
4-LA Roadster Show (amazing swap meet, vendor area and 1000s of neat cars of all types)
5-HCCA Holiday Motor Excursion
gz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 08:55 PM   #9
bikejunk

Started doing Concourse events with one of my antique motorcycles, Greenwich Ct. was my first Radnor hunt in Malvern Pa was my second really nice people, great food. trophies both times. doing well in one show gets you into the next and the next. but the above poster was right you don't see the big names but you see their cars.
bikejunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 09:23 PM   #10
Roadster62

Pebble Beach is on the top of my Bucket List, along with all the other events that week, wonder if a party of two could do the trip for $10,000? I've been to the Greenwich and Westport Concours here in Connecticut and they were a lot of fun as a spectator. Great looking cars, nice grounds and nice people. For years I passed on going for fear that I wouldn't fit in, but a friend dragged me along one year. i knew many of the cars and their owners, had a great time. If you enjoy quality automobiles these are the events to attend. Bob
Old 12-16-2014, 11:20 PM   #11
mhsprecher

I went to the Greenwich, CT show a couple of years ago. I don't watch television, so I don't know Wayne Carini from Adam, but my buddy recognized him at the show. He seemed approachable.

I used to see Phil Hill at Hershey and that was pretty cool.
mhsprecher is offline   Reply With Quote