Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-25-2014, 11:38 AM   #1
lesbliss

Default Mercuryland still around?

I've been away from the barn and the hobby for awhile due to health problems. We have now moved from Oregon to the desert just outside Las Vegas. My '51 Merc 4 door sports sedan made the trip on an open trailer behind a Uhaul and all and all made out pretty well. When detailing it for a coffee and cars deal last Saturday I found that the small chrome strip that covers the fender seam on the passenger side from the rear glass to the trunk opening is gone. When I first started working on the car in 2004 Mercuryland had a running web site and a lot of small used parts. I heard the sold out and now their website has only the title page. Any one have contact info or another source? It's a lo buck driver but my grandson and I love it.

Les Bliss
'51 Mer
lesbliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 12:36 PM   #2
19Fordy

Default Re: Mercuryland still around?

Mercuryland is no more. I am sure you will be able to find that trim piece either on Ebay or on Fordbarn in the wanted section. Is this it?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1951-MERCURY...bdcc59&vxp=mtr
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 02:14 PM   #3
51 MERC-CT

Just for clarification, if this is the molding you are talking about, '49-'51 are the same, just the method of attachment is different.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 51 mld.jpg (116.5 KB, 26 views)
Old 06-25-2014, 05:05 PM   #4
lesbliss

Thanks for the info. The piece I am missing is round a little smaller than a pencil maybe 8" long and covers the seam between fender and body . It is not the chrome surrounding the window. Car is stored at my grandson's house I'll see if he can send me a picture.
Thanks much
Old 06-25-2014, 07:27 PM   #5
rotorwrench

The belt moldings show up on flea-pay now and then. You may have to check Hemmings for sources. There is a list on the HAMB of businesses that cater to the mid century Mercs. Sadly, several suppliers have passed away or gone out of business in the last couple of years.
Here is a link the the HAMB: http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/t...s-list.331564/

Last edited by rotorwrench; 06-25-2014 at 07:36 PM.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 02:48 AM   #6
51 MERC-CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesbliss View Post
Thanks for the info. The piece I am missing is round a little smaller than a pencil maybe 8" long and covers the seam between fender and body . It is not the chrome surrounding the window. Car is stored at my grandson's house I'll see if he can send me a picture.
Thanks much
The part that you are describing doesn't sound like any standard Mercury part that I have ever seen.
A picture would indeed help to enlighten and perhaps educate those of us that are not aware of such a part.
Old 06-26-2014, 03:02 AM   #7
itsa52

I live about 30 miles from Mercuryland, was out there early spring and no mention was made of closing.. He has sold off much of his used stuff and was trying to focus on re-pop.. I am going out there later today to look for a piece for a friend so will know first hand if he still has the doors open and if he is, how to contact him.
itsa52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 01:39 PM   #8
itsa52

Well sad but true, ML has locked it's doors,, however Joel and all of the stuff is still there, just not able to make it pay as a business.. I talked quite a bit with him this morning and everything he has is for sale. He is going to look for the part in question and said he would call me if he could find one.. However he is going on a little mini V these next few days and will look when he gets back.. FWIW most of what he has is 60's stuff.
Old 06-26-2014, 07:25 PM   #9
russcc

Give Ray Helgers a call in RI. He has a lot of NOS and used trim. 401 635 4849
russcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 02:49 PM   #10
lesbliss

Thanks for all the info. Sorry to lead you astray with my faulty memory. The pece I am missing is the long belt molding that continues along the top of the fender from the back door on back. remember it as being shorter because the trim piece broke while he car was in transit and only the front part was missing. Right now my grandson is caring for the car and promises he'll put the new piece on if Granpa can find it. I think he's
starting to lay claim to my car. That's OK we can use another Old Ford nut.

Les Bliss
Old 06-27-2014, 08:50 PM   #11
itsa52

As many of these that have been chopped and bagged, certainly someone on the HAMB would have one? You might try posting it in their wanted section