Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-23-2014, 02:11 PM   #41
modelAtony

Default Re: Insurance?

WilliamH. thanks for the update on the Grundy Insurance. As the saying goes, this is straight from the horses mouth. have fun modelAtony Lafayette.LA
modelAtony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 02:19 PM   #42
Dusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamH View Post
Hello again, This is a great forum, but I'm falling behind in my work! Regarding suspending collision coverage on a trailered vehicle, be very cautious about cancelling that part of your coverage. Here's why: If you are trailering your car to a show or even a paint shop or anywhere, and the vehicle becomes unmoored inside the trailer and winds up in motion relative to the trailer, you still have the potential for a collision! For example, if you have loose straps and have to panic stop, the front of your car may collide with the inside front of your trailer, and this definitely constitutes a collision, because the car was in motion. Ditto if the car falls off the trailer, or any one of a thousand different possibilities. So for the sake of a couple of bucks, it is probably better to buy collision protection even for a trailered vehicle. Cheers, Bill Hoffer, Grundy Insurance
Well that is great to hear...sort of. I think your agents need retrained because the one I talked to made it clear to me NO OVER NIGHT TRIPS.
You lost a customer and it cost me more money with less coverage to stay with Hagarty

dusty
Dusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 05:23 PM   #43
SkipShift

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
I did not realize this was an option. I guess it makes sense for a car that someone knows they will never operate to obtain a lesser coverage. I would think the insurance companies exposure would be MUCH less and therefore the premium should reflect that.

My initial though when you said "not if I drive it out on the street." was about this accident that happened yesterday at the Grand National Roadster Show. Technically he was not "on the street", ...and was just driving it inside the building when the tragedy happened.

Go to: http://blogs.hotrod.com/tragedy-104161.html#axzz2rFAgkgrs
I bought my car just before winter so I opted for the storage coverage as I didn't have a plate at the time of purchase and wasn't going to get one soon. I got my policy in person at the Hagerty office Traverse City. I have since hauled the car to my second home near Nashville. Hagerty said my car was covered while I load it on a trailer and while trailering. They did not say not specifically excluded for driving on a public road, they just said I couldn't drive it. I didn't worry about the details too much since I'm not driving anyways. Got the coverage I needed at the time so I was happy. Currently covered while it sits in the garage so that is all I need for the winter. I'll change to the full coverage when it gets warmer. I'll be going with a Tennessee plate because I have found out that insurance for a Tennessee Model A is quite a bit of savings over Michigan coverage.
SkipShift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 06:12 PM   #44
Dusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff/Illinois View Post
Dusty, the beauty of America is that you have choices. You aren't married to Hagerty.

If Grundy offers a better deal for YOU, then you are the one who suffers from not taking it. You can drop them at any time and go with someone else...........
Jeff this is true, except the experience has left a slightly bitter taste. If their agent's are that misinformed what else maybe lurking? I am probably over reacting but you would think a respected company would know what is going on from within? I don't know I may give it some thought, I just don't know if it is worth the hassle.

thanks
dusty
Old 01-23-2014, 06:29 PM   #45
H. L. Chauvin

FWIW:

Back in July of 2012 someone had mentioned a major concern with one or more of Grundy's rules.

Because of having insurance with Grundy, it did not sound like that which was explained to me earlier with my Model A policy, so I called Mr. William Hoffer back then who quickly responded with a logical answer on this Forum.

Appears whether it be a large hospital, huge industrial plant, spread out utility company or whatever, a few problems will always arise with humans having to interpret so many different rules & regulations.

We are just most fortunate to have concerned Model A gentlemen like those in "all" of the replies above who will step up to the plate & take the time to share their different Model A experiences with everyone else.

Last edited by H. L. Chauvin; 01-23-2014 at 06:31 PM. Reason: typo
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 08:02 PM   #46
Dusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by H. L. Chauvin View Post
FWIW:

Back in July of 2012 someone had mentioned a major concern with one or more of Grundy's rules.

Because of having insurance with Grundy, it did not sound like that which was explained to me earlier with my Model A policy, so I called Mr. William Hoffer back then who quickly responded with a logical answer on this Forum.

Appears whether it be a large hospital, huge industrial plant, spread out utility company or whatever, a few problems will always arise with humans having to interpret so many different rules & regulations.

We are just most fortunate to have concerned Model A gentlemen like those in "all" of the replies above who will step up to the plate & take the time to share their different Model A experiences with everyone else.
AGREED!!

dusty
Old 01-23-2014, 08:45 PM   #47
Michael M

When it comes to insurance, the most important thing is to READ your policy. It spells out what is and what isn't covered. Any dispute always goes back to the policy wording. It is your contract with the insurer.

Don't depend on what an agent says. A wise man once said, "a verbal agreement isn't worth the paper it's written on."

If you need a clarification or interpretation, get it in writing.
Michael M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 09:28 PM   #48
ronn

While I have Hagerty on my own vehicles so I do not worry about coverage when disassembled, something I have always pondered is if vehicle is disassembled in enough pieces that the insurance company no longer recognizes it as covered, does that mean the pieces now would/could/should be covered under someone's Homeowners insurance under personal property? __________________

Brent, I have one of the best homeowners policies that $ can buy. I am with Chubb- they will not cover a bunch of car parts out in the garage, nor the cars under homeowners. I asked the agent when I signed on and he told me that would have to be a completely separate policy.
to answer your question- no...............
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 10:19 PM   #49
Skibb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty View Post
I was going to go with Grundy as I got more coverage for a bit less money. I was told by the person I spoke to that there was no mileage limit, however it could not be use as a daily driver. Its was all fine until he told me no overnight trips, at the end of the day they want it back in your garage. So I stayed with Hagarty as they understood about the touring aspect of Model A ownership.

dusty

I'm with Hagerty too for the above reason.
Skibb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 12:00 AM   #50
Elcastor

Do any of the companies cover you for just part of a year? I have coverage for my cars in Mexico, but I would like to take one of them to the USA this summer. I really do not need a full year's coverage.
Elcastor is offline   Reply With Quote