Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-09-2021, 08:33 AM   #21
Stingray70

Default Re: Why do you own a Model A?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenBolton View Post
Because they’re cool!!!!!!!!

Yep!
Old 04-09-2021, 08:46 AM   #22
Chris in WNC

fun to drive, fun to tinker with, easy to get parts for.

and they are babe magnets.
my wife saw me driving my town sedan in the grocery store parking lot before we met and remembered it when she saw it at my house later......
Old 04-09-2021, 08:56 AM   #23
McMimmcs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris in WNC View Post
fun to drive, fun to tinker with, easy to get parts for.

and they are babe magnets.
my wife saw me driving my town sedan in the grocery store parking lot before we met and remembered it when she saw it at my house later......
Babe magnets hahaha, corvettes and Beamers are babe magnets! Thank you for my laugh of the day ( laugh not chuckle )! Wayne
P.s. maybe very old babes !
McMimmcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 08:58 AM   #24
Ray in La Mesa

I didn't have a chance to want another type car. When I was 5 or 6 I was awaken every morning by the sound of a '29 delivery idling next door to my bedroom window. It belonged to an elderly Italian fellow who grew flowers & fruit for the Los Angeles flower market and he would start & let it idle while he loaded his wares. This was in 1950, in 1955 he finally traded it in for a '55 Ford panel delivery. By then I was hooked on A's even though my Dad had a '28 Chevy roadster pickup for dump runs. it was close though as I pieced together a '28 A roadster pickup in 1968 to drive till I finished restoring my'30 cabriolet. Well, the cabriolet is about 3/4's done & I'm still driving my '28 pickup.
Ray in La Mesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 11:27 AM   #25
Mulletwagon

I too like the time machine factor - a great example of when cars came with power and automatic NOTHING. Also a great chick magnet.
Mulletwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 12:37 PM   #26
Oldbluoval

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
I’ve had days where I ask my self that very question!
��
Oldbluoval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 01:20 PM   #27
Mister Moose

My Dad bought what became my car in rough but runs shape, and he never did anything with it. I came home from college and had little to do in the evening, so I started to restore it. That led to owning a completed frame-off 1930 Tudor.

I like the look of the late 20's to mid 30's cars, the separate fenders, the spoked wheels, the running boards, whitewalls, side-mounts, the big headlights, and the era when cars had bud vases. Driving was meant to be an arrival, or an adventure.

But a chick magnet? No. I had a client that bought a brand new DeLorean. Women would leave their cards on his windshield. That's how you know when you're a chick magnet. Show of hands, how many times has anyone had a woman leave their card on your Model A?
Mister Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 02:48 PM   #28
woofa.express

Do I love my Model A?

No I don’t love it, I am besotted with it. Those flowing mudguards and running boards. The radiator and headlights. The sound of the exhaust and the horn. Nothing can match it. I even enjoy walking into the garage just to view it. And I understand the mechanics of it. It has one aspect I really do enjoy. Simplicity. I love simplicity. I have always being good at simplifying complex procedures, situations and nonsense. When I was in business I could outperform all my competitors because of that one factor.
Like Keith True (in the thread posting pictures) I too have a flip lid mobile phone (and a $35 Aldi credit lasts me a whole year) but don’t go to the extreme as Keith: we have modernised our ringer washing machine plus my watch is battery powered.

And when I thank God for the food that is placed on my table I also thank him and Henry for my Model A.

And there are times when I have a long memory.
woofa.express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 02:58 PM   #29
1928Mik

The car I have was my Dad's but he lost interest and put it on blocks. I got it running after he passed away. I think it is a cool car, easy to work on, and always a conversation starter at the gas station. Definitely not a chick magnet, but I owned a Viper at one time which was, and yes, women would leave their contact info, much to the chagrin of my wife haha! Then I found out many owners of those cars were unfriendly better-than-you-are types, but with the Model A I have only met very nice people.

-Life's Too Short To Drive Boring Cars-
1928Mik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 03:15 PM   #30
65f100

becuase i had no idea what i was getting myself into
when i saw my 29 pu i just had to have it!
65f100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 04:33 PM   #31
kawagumby

In the early sixties, no less than three of my friends had model A's. I was jealous. So, to show them up, nearly 50 years later I bought my own, neener, neener. I like the simplicity, looks, sound (except when I blow a double-clutch), and the smiles we get everywhere we go.
kawagumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 04:39 PM   #32
nkaminar

I have always had old cars, many of them of different makes. I have always been interested in anything mechanical. My first car was a 27 Chevy (junior high), but after getting a Model A (high school) I was impressed by the quality when compared to the Chevy. Parts were easy to come by.

By 1930's, cars had progressed to where they could be driven daily and looked really nice, at least in my eyes. IMO they went down hill in the 1940's. Before 1928 most cars were good for dirt roads and the early paved roads only (Model T, early Chevy, early Dodge, etc.).

I guess I own a Model A for all the reasons expressed by others.
The clutch always sticks, and starts with a jerk.
My car grows red hair, and flies through the air.
Driving's a blast, a blast from the past.
nkaminar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 05:42 PM   #33
daren007

It’s all I could afford.
daren007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 05:49 PM   #34
Bob/AZ

I first saw my30 Murray TS as a total derelict sitting under a good friend's carport in Sierra Vista, AZ... rotten top, mice in the upholstery, bent sheet metal, four flat tires, etc. It had been driven to Alaska twice in it's life, once from Indiana in 1954 and once from Arizona in the 70's. I asked him to keep me in mind if he ever thought about selling it. A couple of years later he not only sold it to me (for one dollar) but delivered it to my home in northern AZ free gratis. Friends like George are few and far between. After ten years of slow restoration my TS "George" has become a great part of the family which I hope my son or daughter might want to hang on to when I go.
Bob/AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 06:00 PM   #35
Russ/40

Because 60 years ago I wanted one, and my folks said no. At 74, I finally get to enjoy one, after restoration of a basket case I bought in the 80s. It is as I hoped, a barrel of fun.
Russ/40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 06:35 PM   #36
goodcar

I had a problem---more money than I knew what to do with it all. I don't have that problem anymore. Over the last 10 years that money has been divided between Bert's, Snyder's and Bratton's.
goodcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 06:59 PM   #37
jbwthree

My late uncle Charlie had a ‘29 sedan delivery when I was a child. It was how I discovered my passion for cars that has continued to this day. He helped my buy my first car at 12, a ‘69 Chevelle ! I have always wanted an A and found my ‘30 Tudor last year and have enjoyed every minute of owning it. I’ve had a number of classics but nothing compares to driving the A.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jbwthree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 07:46 PM   #38
Ayers1

When I was a year old my parents bought a new house, a new car, and a 28 Fordor. I sat on the carport while my dad restored the 28. That was my introduction to them in 1963 and we restored several together in the following years. They bring back many good memories. BTW, my dad still has the 28.....neither one gets out as much as they used to but that's ok too.
Ayers1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 08:07 PM   #39
KansasRick

As a kid in the 1960s, I watched the TV show THE UNTOUCHABLES and watched Elliot Ness chasing the gangsters in Model A Fords mostly. When I drive my Model A today, I hum the theme song silently to myself sometimes looking for Frank Nitti while I hear Walter Winchell narrate in my mind.

Last edited by KansasRick; 04-09-2021 at 08:15 PM.
KansasRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 08:22 PM   #40
Pete

I am trying not to. I have one too many.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote