Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-03-2018, 04:05 PM   #1
petehoovie

Thumbs up Kudos....

Given all of the bashing MAC's has received on this forum in the past, I find it only right for me to post my very positive experience with MAC's. Late in the day on Sept, 25th I placed a 9 item order with MAC's online totaling $114.91 + $21.76 coast to coast shipping charge. Every item was in stock! I receive the items on Oct. 3rd as promised. An inventory showed all items ordered were accounted for. Examination of the parts showed that they were top quality and true to the original parts they are to replace. Even the new floorboard/toe board I ordered for my '34 was cut to fit perfectly. I can't emphasize too strongly how pleased I am with MAC's. - Credit where credit is due.... https://www.macsautoparts.com/

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 05:07 PM   #2
RKS.PA

Default Re: Kudos....

Pete, agree with you on the "credit where credit is due..." I think a number of us remember the old Mac's Auto Parts when it was exclusively in Lockport New York before the Eckler acquisition. You got to know the people who answered the phone on a first name basis. A lot of that personal touch is gone now, so that, plus things you need being currently out of stock sometime causes some of us old guys to get "cranky"

All in all, I still order from there and also find their catalog handy for part numbers when I have to go somewhere else.

So, glad you had such and great experience and thanks for posting about it.

Dick.
RKS.PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 06:27 PM   #3
tubman

"Once in a row". Good for you!
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 07:43 PM   #4
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubman View Post
"Once in a row". Good for you!
Now that's FUNNY, and so far, appropriate. DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 07:59 PM   #5
Royal Ryser

It's way more than "once in a row." I have ordered several times with MACs and have never had a problem. I haven't with the others, either.
Seems like on this forum if one person says something negative, others jump on. Kinda silly.
Royal Ryser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 08:07 PM   #6
paul2748

Almost 20 % shipping seems a lot to me. I don't know what you purchased, but I hope it was big items
paul2748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 09:57 PM   #7
petehoovie

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul2748 View Post
Almost 20 % shipping seems a lot to me. I don't know what you purchased, but I hope it was big items

Two packages including a floorboard ("big item") shipped from East coast to West coast and no sales tax seems pretty reasonable to me....

"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

Old 10-03-2018, 10:53 PM   #8
petehoovie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Ryser View Post
It's way more than "once in a row." I have ordered several times with MACs and have never had a problem. I haven't with the others, either.
Seems like on this forum if one person says something negative, others jump on. Kinda silly.

Yeah, RR....Like you, I have placed many orders with MAC's over the past 25+ years with very few problems. Hard for me to fathom a problem that could generate as much hatred for this company as has been spewed on this forum. Anymore, in today's society, it seems like ragging for ragging's sake is the norm. What's funny is the total inflexibility of those who rag....

Old 10-04-2018, 10:47 AM   #9
TagMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul2748 View Post

Shipping should be predicated on weight & size of box, not value of the contents.
TagMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 12:40 PM   #10
40cpe

These bigger companies must have "sweetheart" deals with the shipping companies. I lost a thread chaser from my kit and ordered a replacement from Snap-on. It cost $4.00 and the shipping was FREE by UPS.
40cpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 12:47 PM   #11
rotorwrench

It's all good if they have the items in stock. It's when they don't that problems start to arise. Eckler's has a long history.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 12:57 PM   #12
adileo

I like Dennis Carpenter- under $100 $9.99 over $100 $14.99

You know exactly what to expect. Simple and reasonable!

I don’t like to state negative comments so I have nothing to say regarding MAC

Andy
1952 F1
adileo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 06:58 PM   #13
Talkwrench

I haven't used them in some time, in fact Ive kept things to a minimum since our dollar is so bad and the U.S. nearly doubled its postage costs. But I never really had an issue yes a bit more expensive but my parts always came quick . I remember the stater motor I ordered on a Thursday night arrive here in the most isolated city in the world on Monday lunchtime.. geez, that cant be bad...
Old 10-04-2018, 07:55 PM   #14
paul2748

Actually, Mac's was a nice place to buy before they were bought out from Eckler's.

Eckler had raised the price of shipping which has generated a lot of criticism and the customer service has gone down from what I hear.

Maybe that's now in the past
paul2748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 10:13 AM   #15
mhsprecher

Shipping is a bugaboo. It ain't cheap and it's hard to figure out what the cost is? Maybe Carpenter's loses money on some and makes some on others, so it all works out. Some places figures out the shipping based on your order, which is probably fairer, but takes more time to figure out and you don't know until you get it!
mhsprecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 10:39 AM   #16
tubman

I have posted this before, but I think it needs to said here. In a former life, I had a small computer company that specialized in custom software for small to medium sized distribution companies. Almost all of the software packages we supplied had a sophisticated shipping cost mark-up function. They also included modules to analyze the extra profits generated this way. Since it was over 30 years ago, I don't think it's talking out of school to tell you that, for some of my customers, more profit was generated by marking up shipping than by actual product sales. I never heard that any of their customers complained about it. I am sure that we never changed the software to reduce this practice. It's now 30 years down the road, and I can only imagine what's going on these days! Also, you may not know that UPS, at least, offers significant discounts to their larger customers based on volume. This explains to me why so many of these outfits use UPS rather than USPS flat rate packages that would probably provide substantial savings to their customers. Marking up a discounted cost can yield a lot of profit.

Also, I am a "Corvette guy" (without the requisite gold chain), and learned long ago that Eckler's was not the place to go for a number of reasons.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 12:04 PM   #17
34pickup

The only complaint I have ever had with Mac's is their shipping costs. Their products used to be fine. I don't know anymore since I have not bought from them in a while.
I agree with you tubman, I am a Corvette guy too and I have Eckler's catalog but usually end up buying from Corvette America because it comes out cheaper with shipping figured in.
Matt 24:36-41
34pickup is offline   Reply With Quote