Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-30-2016, 12:20 PM   #1
Barber31

Default Front spring decisions

I'm not sure what's the best route to go here. When I removed my front spring I noticed it had 13 leaves. So assuming they added those extra 3 due to a sagging spring, I took my set to a shop to have them re-arched to factory specs. The guy called and said when he compressed the 10 together they were already at factory specs. So just to be on the safe side he recommended I just buy a completely new spring just because they are new and will have new bushings. My dilemma is not only will I have to shell out extra money but will I get a quality spring. I'd rather keep my original but it needs new bushings and grinding a bevel on the ends and who's to know if it will still sag when I reinstall it.
Barber31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 01:09 PM   #2
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Default Re: Front spring decisions

I always buy new springs and never screw with reaarching, / reusing old ones....never had luck with them holding the height over time
Others don't have an issue reusing but I feel it's time and money spent that could go towards a new quallity assy..

Last edited by Mitch//pa; 03-30-2016 at 01:28 PM.
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 01:13 PM   #3
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Generally speaking the spring you have can be re-arched however he may see something we cannot see. It also may be the time he would need to spend smoothing and re-arching may exceed what you can purchase a new spring for.

To my knowledge, there are two different spring manufacturers for the Model-A. The ones you purchase from most vendors is of decent quality for a driver-level car. I am pretty certain they are manufactured off-shore. The tie-bolt is incorrect, the spring clips are not there, and you will need to do some grinding work on the top leaf so it will fit correctly into the crossmember. If you are desiring a better quality front spring that is very, very close to what was originally made by Ford, then go to http://a-springs.com/ and order one of theirs. With quality comes a price too, so just be warned.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 01:15 PM   #4
Phred

You didn't mention why you removed the spring (because of spring concerns, or other concerns) Who gets to define "factory specs"?

The following link: http://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=62383

Shows info about original springs, note different leaves have different thicknesses and cross sections.

It is unlikely that any new springs today use different thickness and cross section leaves. They are most likely same thickness leaves.

I would suggest you just put in new bushings, check the arch for symmetry, and install. You will probably be fine. If not, I have had good luck with www.a-springs.com for a new spring.

Hope this helps
Phred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 01:20 PM   #5
J Franklin

If they are at factory specs. with 10 leaves I guess it is your call. You can easily re-bush and grind if it is really needed and give the spring a chance. if it is truly at factory spec it should be good to go. if it is too saggy it can be re-arched. Front springs are easy to remove and replace. I have used a new spring and I am happy with it. If you buy new make sure the top leaf has the correct bevel to sit in the crossmember properly. I cut a leather pad from an old belt to place on top (oiled), to prevent squeaks.
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 01:59 PM   #6
Tom Wesenberg

Little Dearborn in MPLS makes the front springs for many suppliers. 612-331-2066

They also make bumpers.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 03:03 PM   #7
Barber31

I removed springs because I'm restoring the chassis. I never measured the distance from the ground to center of bumper when the car was assembled so I'm not sure if it was indeed sagging or too high. Either way it didn't have the correct amount of leaves. The sources I've been referring to are my Red book and The complete ford restoration manual. They have listed all the measurements of the factory specs.
Barber31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 05:15 AM   #8
StoolBus

Just a side note, I helped a friend with his springs and we separated the leaf pack and painted each leaf with John Deere graphite paint. They have ZERO squeak and they look great two years and 5000 miles later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
StoolBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 05:40 AM   #9
RonC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barber31 View Post
I removed springs because I'm restoring the chassis. I never measured the distance from the ground to center of bumper when the car was assembled so I'm not sure if it was indeed sagging or too high. Either way it didn't have the correct amount of leaves. The sources I've been referring to are my Red book and The complete ford restoration manual. They have listed all the measurements of the factory specs.
You may not even be working with an original Ford spring to start with. Most have been replaced. Is this a fine point car? If not go the a-springs.com route well worth the money.
RonC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 09:15 AM   #10
tbirdtbird
BANNED

I'm with Mitch all the way that re-arched springs don't hold up well at all. The metal is fatigued, period, and the grain structure is altered, and will sag again soon. It is a fool's errand to re-arch