Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-12-2017, 09:30 AM   #1
Carsten

Default How to remove head studs

I am looking for good advise on how to loosen the hread studs without breaking them off.
Carsten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 10:30 AM   #2
48fordnut

Default Re: How to remove head studs

stud remover and hard work.
48fordnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 10:43 AM   #3
GOSFAST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carsten View Post
I am looking for good advise on how to loosen the hread studs without breaking them off.
This is tough issue for almost every build that has them installed from the factory, there's always a few "stubborn" ones that simply won't come out!!

One specific one we always find is directly over the heat-crossover passage in the center of the blocks?

I would first try to "double-nut" them one at a time after soaking them with some type penetrant for a while.

If you can work around them this is the best method if the equipment needed is limited?

Thanks, Gary in N.Y.

P.S. From a fresh build standpoint we don't worry all that much about getting them all out, we get the ones we can without too much of a battle and do the rest in the Bridgeport after we break them on purpose!
GOSFAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 10:46 AM   #4
papanomad

heat and wax works great.
papanomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 11:02 AM   #5
Brendan

be patient and take your time, i took them out of my model a with some heat, the double nut and penetrating oil. also a good pair of vice grips

i can't spell my way out of a paper bag!
Brendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 11:08 AM   #6
Tim Ayers

All the advise so far is right on. I’ve also learned that turning them to the right (tightening them) helps to break them free as well. Go slow and only need to move it the slightest bit for this trick to work.
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 11:26 AM   #7
redmodelt

Stud puller. They put the pressure around the base of the stud not at the top like a double nut. Tapping on the stubborn ones seems to help too, not a heavy hit but gentle firm hits. Plus wax and heat. Penetrating oil helps, NOT WD-40 unless it is the type made for penetrating. Take your time, strong arming is not the way to take them out unless you want to practice drilling the broken ones out. Some times no matter how careful you are, some break.
Old 11-12-2017, 11:40 AM   #8
fordv8j

I had a broke stud on a 8-n, was told to heat stud and melt wax around it, I did this then welded a nut to it and it came out....the wax had penetrated to te bottom of the stud, might try this before they brake
fordv8j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 01:29 PM   #9
supereal

Buy or borrow good quality stud puller. The old knurled wheel type will usually result in broken studs. If the stud tip extends into the water jacket, it may be rusted. Putting a nut on the top end of the stud and gently rapping it with a hammer may also help break the bond. At our shop we always remove all studs so we can surface the face of the block If you don't have to remove them, leave them alone. If you need to clean the boles, use a tap designed for the job, not a common threading tap. Old cast iron is fragile, and easy to damage.
supereal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 01:56 PM   #10
Newc

Hi; I've been waiting for this topic. I've got a 59A with nice finned aluminum heads. Half the studs came out and the rest won't budge... Can't move the heads either. Tried welding nuts on the studs and the studs broke right at the heat point below the nuts. So it sits...[IMG]DSCN0544[/IMG]
Newc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 02:00 PM   #11
Newc

[img]dscn0544[/img]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0544.JPG (153.9 KB, 123 views)
Newc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 02:43 PM   #12
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by redmodelt View Post
Stud puller. They put the pressure around the base of the stud not at the top like a double nut. Tapping on the stubborn ones seems to help too, not a heavy hit but gentle firm hits. Plus wax and heat. Penetrating oil helps, NOT WD-40 unless it is the type made for penetrating. Take your time, strong arming is not the way to take them out unless you want to practice drilling the broken ones out. Some times no matter how careful you are, some break.
With due respect to the others that have thus far responded, I must agree with "redmodelt". Especially the advice he offered in regard to utilizing a stud remover as it grasps the stud closets to the area it is stuck in.
Old 11-12-2017, 02:52 PM   #13
flatjack9

I have found that penetrants rarely work on really stuck studs. Some have been soaked forever and when they finally come out, you can still see dry areas on the stud. Heat is your friend.
flatjack9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 02:55 PM   #14
RalphM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newc View Post
[img]dscn0544[/img]
You will have to remove the heads in order to get those studs out. I know it’s a catch 22, but you will find it impossible to do it like that. A hollow drill that will go over the stud, but not cut too much of the head is best. Make sure you don’t go to Deep and cut into the block.

Oh and my favorite for stuck studs is wax as well.

Last edited by RalphM; 11-12-2017 at 03:07 PM.
RalphM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 02:56 PM   #15
richard crow

heat then soak. when ready to remove double nut. line up the nut flats. now get a in pack gun & scoket. set at low in pack work the gun fw & rev back & forth a little at a time while looking for stud movement. the vibe from the in pack gun does wonders. take your time
richard crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 03:39 PM   #16
Floyd

Double nutting or a good stud puller will get the easy ones out. Problem is not all of them are easy. You have 48 of these rascals to deal with (or 42). My experience has been that at least 10 to 30+ are stuck and the puller will not work. Before breaking them off at the deck level, I go straight to the method of cutting off the stud about an inch so above the deck. Then I use cheap hardware store 1/2 inch common coarse thread nuts that will slip over the cutoff 7/16 stud. Then I weld the hell out of it to the stud. Now you have made a bolt and the heat into the stud will expand and shrink, thus breaking the bond from rust. Take your trusty impact wrench and just sit on it until something happens. Either the stud comes out or you weld breaks. If so ,reweld it really good and go at it again. This has been my 100% successful method. You don't need to wait for days or weeks on hoping that a chemical approach. With the double nutting/stud puller plus the welding method will get all of them out within a couple of hours or so . Cost is a bag of nuts for a couple of bucks.
My opinion and my experience
Floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 04:15 PM   #17
FlatheadTed

Send a message via AIM to FlatheadTed

I have used the weld the nut on idea and its the heat that really does the job.

Flathead Ted brake Floaters ,
FlatheadTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 07:59 PM   #18
John Gibson

Smile Re: How to remove head studs

In the early 70’s I decided to bring my 1937 Cabriolet back to Henry’s spects. I eventually found a correct engine in a junkyard in Brewer, Me that I bought “as is, where is”. When I got it home and began to dissemble it I broke a number of headbolts off flush to the block. It was one of those “aw sh*t” moments for sure. I took the bare block to my local machine shop and Orville said, “come back tomorrow “! I stopped by the next day and it was ready to go! I noticed that there were a number of short broken headbolts on the floor. Each one had a large nut welded to it it. Of course Orville was not willing to tell me how he had extracted the broken studs but when I saw the studs on the shop floor it became apparent to me what his method was. The heat of the weldind process broke the rust bond that broke the studs in the first place! The ten dollars that he charged me was cheap for the lesson I learned.

John
John Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 08:45 PM   #19
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Gibson View Post
In the early 70’s I decided to bring my 1937 Cabriolet back to Henry’s spects. I eventually found a correct engine in a junkyard in Brewer, Me that I bought “as is, where is”. When I got it home and began to dissemble it I broke a number of headbolts off flush to the block. It was one of those “aw sh*t” moments for sure. I took the bare block to my local machine shop and Orville said, “come back tomorrow “! I stopped by the next day and it was ready to go! I noticed that there were a number of short broken headbolts on the floor. Each one had a large nut welded to it it. Of course Orville was not willing to tell me how he had extracted the broken studs but when I saw the studs on the shop floor it became apparent to me what his method was. The heat of the weldind process broke the rust bond that broke the studs in the first place! The ten dollars that he charged me was cheap for the lesson I learned.

John
Yes, I did two on an 8RT motor this way. I agree with the heat from the MIG was probably the trick version the ability getting a wrench to a nut to turn the stud. That stud was still a dull red when I got it out of the block.
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 08:55 PM   #20
Floyd

If you break the studs off (they always break right at the deck level), then your welding skills need to be pretty good to weld the nut onto the flush stud. That is why I just go ahead and cut the studs off short so I at least have something to weld to. The method works best with electric welding as the idea is to get a lot of heat into the stud quickly so it can expand against the cold block and crush the rust/corrosion. Then when it cools, it shrinks back to size with a slight gap from the crushed rust. So you have three things going for you with this method. First you get the thermal shock to loosen the corrosion, then you get a bolt made to work with and third you can use the old impact theory of mechanical shock until it finally gives up.
I have even skipped the doubling nutting try and have gone straight to the cut off the studs and weld on the cheap nuts (the kind you buy by the pound). I think this saves time.
My opinion
Floyd is offline   Reply With Quote