Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-03-2021, 05:36 PM   #21
Synchro909

Default Re: RH Drive Model A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly mt View Post
Where were the right hand drive cars built?
Anywhere but the US.
There was a policy in the British Commonwealth back then that C'wealth countries deal with C'wealth countries where ever possible. The US had removed themselves from the C'wealth so trading with them was out of the question. That meant 20-25 % of the world's population (which was part of the RHD world along with Japan and a few others) was not accessible to US manufacturers so they opened factories in C'wealth countries. Canada was a common one. Others were built in England, South Africa, Australia, just to name a few.
FWIW, GM has recently announced that they are no longer going to make any RHD cars - anywhere. Not that they are likely to sell many cars here ever again after what they did to the Australian operation. There have been no new Chevs, Pontiacs, Olds, Buick etc sold in Australia since 1948 so they are just as much "just another foreign car" as the Chinese or Korean ones.
Ford followed GM by closing down their local operations and are regarded pretty much the same. As a result, very few American cars are seen on the roads here partly because conversion to RHD is just too difficult in a modern car with air bags etc.
Old 03-03-2021, 11:11 PM   #22
30Murray

If you look at the Canadian Model A Ford Foundation website (CMAFF.com) you will find Australian instruction manuals which have illustrations of the controls that will show you the differences.
30Murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 03:10 AM   #23
dave in australia

On the early 28's, the hand brake lever was on the right side of the driver, against the kick panel. Think of a mirror of early 28 LHD. The starter pedal was also in front of the L/H seat, it was not until late 28 that the starter was moved to in front of the gear stick. Also, the drum tail light made a re-appearance on some Australian 1930 A's, and a different bracket was used. Some Australian colour combinations are also different. Some combinations had brown mudguards (fenders) with tan bodies, a dark green- mid green combination, coloured wheels etc.
dave in australia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 06:32 AM   #24
john charlton

Detroit did build RHD vehicles for export mainly to non British Commonwealth countries which were served "in house" by the Canadian plant . One big export market was South American RHD countries such as Argentina and Uruguay . Canada did also export RHD cars to South America Sammy Guthrie in sunny Chandler AZ has a 1929 phaeton in from Argentina with funky bumper clamps and Robertson screws .RHD cars were available in USA also probably special order. There is a picture in the de Angelis book " The Model A Ford as Henry Built It " of a daughter driving mom off a USA production line in a RHD 28/29 Tudor . RHD parts were also USA made many steering parts have the "Moore" drop forge symbol on them . The English plant did not import from Canada all early cars and later "knock down" parts were sourced from USA .

John in bright cloudy cold Suffolk County England .

Last edited by john charlton; 03-04-2021 at 12:02 PM.
john charlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 07:25 AM   #25
McMimmcs

I also bought one 3 years ago and certainly paid more than 9k. If no major problems, it is a steal!
McMimmcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 02:06 PM   #26
KGBnut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchro909 View Post
Ford followed GM by closing down their local operations and are regarded pretty much the same. As a result, very few American cars are seen on the roads here partly because conversion to RHD is just too difficult in a modern car with air bags etc.
I thought that Ford still had an Australian division. Weren't they still making cars using the Falcon name? I had heard that Ford Australia made really good cars. If they are gone, how long has it been?

Ken
Old 03-04-2021, 03:35 PM   #27
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGBnut View Post
I thought that Ford still had an Australian division. Weren't they still making cars using the Falcon name? I had heard that Ford Australia made really good cars. If they are gone, how long has it been?

Ken
Ford closed their Australian manufacturing plants in 2017. You are correct in that they used the "Falcon" name and that they were really good cars. To illustrate that, the Falcon had a safety rating of 5 stars (the top rating) along with Mercedes, BMW, Volvo etc. When they tried to sell the Mustang here, motoring writers advised people DO NOT BUY IT. They had a safety rating of 2 stars and were (are) considered rubbish. Maybe we were spoiled by the Falcon but there is still no other car on the market quite like it. KIA has one that goes closest.
GM made and sold the Commodore here and to my mind, there was very little to choose between them. You guys nearly got to experience the superiority of these cars when GMH sent a couple of thousand of their sports version on a long wheel base to the US for use by police. The cops loved them for their get up and go, road holding and comfort. GM put Chev badges on them. The same car on a shorter wheel base was just becoming known when the GFC hit. GM revived the Pontiac GTO label for them but when the crunch of GFC hit, they discontinued Pontiac and that was the end of that. Ford Detroit sabotaged their own operation here by not allowing Ford Australia to make any LHD cars. Stupid, I know but that's a fact.
Old 03-05-2021, 12:14 PM   #28
KGBnut

Synchro,

Thanks for the update. Yes, I heard great things about those Falcons, and remember wishing they would come to the US.

Ken
Old 03-07-2021, 04:58 PM   #29
Kelly mt

Thought I'd post a couple of photos of the car in question. After sitting for 6 months it just fired right off. Have to wait for the ground to freeze again next week to get it out to the pavement to bring it home. The county road has 12 inch ruts in it and would swallow a tank right now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20210306_143148small.jpg (47.0 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg 20210306_143441small.jpg (34.7 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg 20210306_142959small.jpg (52.5 KB, 41 views)
Kelly mt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 05:15 PM   #30
Synchro909

Quote:
Thought I'd post a couple of photos of the car in question. After sitting for 6 months it just fired right off. Have to wait for the ground to freeze again next week to get it out to the pavement to bring it home. The county road has 12 inch ruts in it and would swallow a tank right now.
Does a top come with it. If not, you might not easily find one. Sure, they are the same as a LHD car but from what I gather, tourers were not that common over there. They were by far the most common here - maybe something to do with the climate?
Old 03-07-2021, 05:24 PM   #31
ronn

car looks nice. you did well.

congrats!!!!!!!!
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 07:04 PM   #32
Kelly mt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchro909 View Post
Does a top come with it. If not, you might not easily find one. Sure, they are the same as a LHD car but from what I gather, tourers were not that common over there. They were by far the most common here - maybe something to do with the climate?

Yes, it has the top, bows and side curtains all in great shape. He is also throwing in two carbs, a spare wheel and four new tires and tubes. Cleaning out all his "A" stuff.
Kelly mt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 10:12 PM   #33
Synchro909

Quote:
Yes, it has the top, bows and side curtains all in great shape. He is also throwing in two carbs, a spare wheel and four new tires and tubes. Cleaning out all his "A" stuff.
You are a winner on this one.
Old 03-08-2021, 07:32 AM   #34
Mike Peters

Yep. Great deal for sure. I hope you just drive it as is, and leave it as a RHD car. It will be fun.
Question: I know that on at least some, if not all, RHD Model T's , the spark and throttle levers are reversed. ie, spark on the right, and gas on the left. Is this true on RHD Model A's?
Mike Peters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 11:35 AM   #35
katy

Good looking car.

When I was in Monterey Mexico in '64 there was a flock of Model A phaetons taxis that came out in the evenings, never in the daytime. Anyone know if they're still around?
Old 03-08-2021, 05:06 PM   #36
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peters View Post
Yep. Great deal for sure. I hope you just drive it as is, and leave it as a RHD car. It will be fun.
Question: I know that on at least some, if not all, RHD Model T's , the spark and throttle levers are reversed. ie, spark on the right, and gas on the left. Is this true on RHD Model A's?
Ignition timing is on the left, throttle on the right.