Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-29-2020, 12:41 AM   #41
tomcarman

Default Re: ***Need help on BRAKES - 53 Merc Monterey***

It would be interesting if you put an original wheel and tire on either the front or the rear, no preference and took a side view photo to compare the look. I am unfamiliar with stock Mercs. I do recall when I was very young my Aunt had a Merc but I believe it was around a '55 thru 57 ish. I remember the car and riding in it. I was probably around 7 years old. I also remember it often times wouldn't start and my Aunt, to put it politely, was not pleasant company. Your post, like others has brought back long forgotten memories, very pleasent.
tomcarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 01:39 AM   #42
RalphG

Just remembered I did a video of one of the new front hoses I installed on the Merc back in 2017.
https://youtu.be/nzWm2eii6w0
RalphG is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 05-29-2020, 10:35 AM   #43
53MERC

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcarman View Post
It would be interesting if you put an original wheel and tire on either the front or the rear, no preference and took a side view photo to compare the look. I am unfamiliar with stock Mercs. I do recall when I was very young my Aunt had a Merc but I believe it was around a '55 thru 57 ish. I remember the car and riding in it. I was probably around 7 years old. I also remember it often times wouldn't start and my Aunt, to put it politely, was not pleasant company. Your post, like others has brought back long forgotten memories, very pleasent.
Your aunt sounds a lot like me when I get upset. Just ask my wife and kids. LOL.
I will be sure to take a few pictures if I ever put the original rims and hubcaps on. I had thought about putting them back on, but I wasnt sure how old those tires were? They have great tread on them though.
53MERC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 10:38 AM   #44
53MERC

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphG View Post
Just remembered I did a video of one of the new front hoses I installed on the Merc back in 2017.
https://youtu.be/nzWm2eii6w0
Thanks Ralph. I just watched your video. It sounds like changing the back tires is a real pain in the butt. I have the original fender skirts too, but I think I will leave them off.
53MERC is offline   Reply With Quote