Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-23-2020, 08:20 PM   #21
RalphG

Default Re: New member / 1st Post / 53 Mercury

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53MERC View Post
Hey Ralph,
I was freezing my rear end off after watching your videos. LOL.
Thanks for the info. I noticed you had a gas tank sitting in the trunk of your 53 parts car. Is that the original tank? The reason I ask is, I've seen that auction on Ebay for the 52/53 Merc Monterey gas tank but since I'm new to these cars, I'm not 100% sure its the right one?
Yes the tank in the video , stored in the trunk of the 53 is it's own. It would have been a good replacement I think but I suspect somebody hit it with a forklift spear or something during loading the car and put a major dent in the tank nearly collapsing it. My original in the 52 was literally rusted through to nothing on the bottom. I've got a good spare 53 Meteor tank donated to me but it is the same size as Ford, and therefore too short to fill the space occupied by the longer Mercury tank. So for me, for the time being, its the plastic boat tank in the trunk.
RalphG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 08:25 PM   #22
53MERC

Thumbs up Re: New member / 1st Post / 53 Mercury

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53MERC View Post
Great. Thanks Paul. I'm bringing my radiator in next week to a local radiator repair shop. There were two local places, but now I see one of them just went out of business.
If my old one is toast I will check out your two recommendations.
Thanks again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphG View Post
Yes the tank in the video , stored in the trunk of the 53 is it's own. It would have been a good replacement I think but I suspect somebody hit it with a forklift spear or something during loading the car and put a major dent in the tank nearly collapsing it. My original in the 52 was literally rusted through to nothing on the bottom. I've got a good spare 53 Meteor tank donated to me but it is the same size as Ford, and therefore too short to fill the space occupied by the longer Mercury tank. So for me, for the time being, its the plastic boat tank in the trunk.
LOL. I saw that plastic boat gas tank in one of your videos. I have always been amazed at how ingenious farmers are. They can fix anything!
At least it works and keeps you going.
53MERC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 04-24-2020, 12:43 PM   #23
joe 1950

welcome to the barn doug ,i had to buy a new radiator for my 1950 ford cpe about 3 years ago ,got it from radiator express ,aluminum ,shipped to my door 255.00 excellent quality ,fit was perfect ,my old one needed recoring that was @ $400 ,glad i went with the new one ,engine even runs a lot cooler, good luck on your merc
joe 1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 10:48 AM   #24
53MERC

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe 1950 View Post
welcome to the barn doug ,i had to buy a new radiator for my 1950 ford cpe about 3 years ago ,got it from radiator express ,aluminum ,shipped to my door 255.00 excellent quality ,fit was perfect ,my old one needed recoring that was @ $400 ,glad i went with the new one ,engine even runs a lot cooler, good luck on your merc
Thanks Joe. I just checked Radiator Express. It looks like they don't carry one for my car. I think Mercury must be Ford's red headed step-brother. Hard to find parts. At least for my model.

I see you are up in cheese country. We love Wisconsin. My dad started taking us kids up to Northern Wisconsin (Boulder Junction) fishing back in the 60's.
I have carried on the tradition and we still come up every other year. Great memories of my dad.

Be safe out there.
-Doug-
53MERC is offline   Reply With Quote