Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-12-2016, 08:04 PM   #1
robertwg

Default 35 ford oil pan

Is it possible to remove the oil pan on my 35 with the motor in the car? Just wondering if someone has done this and have tips before I start.

Bob
robertwg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 02:53 AM   #2
flatheadfan

Default Re: 35 ford oil pan

Bob-

I have done it several times. It can be done but it requires some effort. Things that come to mind are: drain oil , disconnect radiator hoses, remove fuel pump stand, generator fan, front motor mounts, jack up the engine 2 inches, and place a 2x4 wood block under the mount platforms, disconnect the tie rod and drag link, disconnect the u-bolts and lift the body up as far as you safely can or remove the front wheels and drop the wishbone down (need clearance of oil pan with the wishbone). I sure others can add to the list.

Everything is pretty straight forward the only problem is removing the front two bolts of the oil pan. Kinda tight to get at them. Finally, rotate the engine until the front crank throw is up. It will take some wiggling to get the pan off.

I know it is a lot of work and others will disagree with me but, I find it better and faster than trying to remove the engine.

Tom
flatheadfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 04:15 AM   #3
A bones

Get in touch with "JM 35 Sedan" or wait for him to check in. If there is anything "flatheadfan" (Like those white walls) Tom missed, he has it in his back pocket!
Old 05-13-2016, 07:06 AM   #4
1935coupe

I've done it a few times as flatheadfan said except I never removed hoses or fuel pump. just get the front end off the floor more that you think you need.
1935coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 07:27 AM   #5
JM 35 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by A bones View Post
Get in touch with "JM 35 Sedan" or wait for him to check in. If there is anything "flatheadfan" (Like those white walls) Tom missed, he has it in his back pocket!
LOL A Bones, I am probably one of those who flatheadfan speaks of who would rather remove the engine than go through all that's required to remove an oil pan with engine in vehicle, especially on the early engines having half of the bell housing/flywheel cover attached to the oil pan. There is one, possibly two bolts in the back of the pan that must be removed from above, and may need to be removed before engine is lifted ~ 2".
My logic has always been, if I need to remove that oil pan, chances are there is something going-on that will require the engine to come completely out anyway. Also, when I first started playing with early Ford's and Flathead engines, @ 15-16 yo, I had to remove and install these engines so frequently that this procedure became routine to me, and seemed like this was the way to go, since at that time I had no garage, and hated the idea of lying on the wet/cold ground .

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein

Last edited by JM 35 Sedan; 05-13-2016 at 07:42 AM.
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 07:50 PM   #6
A bones

OK JM, sorry, I gotta stop trying to see my own name. Problem is I'm restricted to sofa/bed, and my favorite thing is this board. however somewhere on the way I became impressed enough by your expertise to assume that you are highly gifted.

I too began in youth always having access to lifts or pits. As the years passed I beame a loner in the driveway.With a chain fall hanging in the garage. Anyway I'll try to keep quiet 'til I have real stuff to discuss.
Old 05-13-2016, 10:14 PM   #7
JM 35 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by A bones View Post
OK JM, sorry, I gotta stop trying to see my own name. Problem is I'm restricted to sofa/bed, and my favorite thing is this board. however somewhere on the way I became impressed enough by your expertise to assume that you are highly gifted.

I too began in youth always having access to lifts or pits. As the years passed I beame a loner in the driveway.With a chain fall hanging in the garage. Anyway I'll try to keep quiet 'til I have real stuff to discuss.
A bones, no need to be sorry, and no need to keep quiet. As I read flatheadfan's/Tom's post, I thought, I would not go to that much trouble to drop an oil pan because in most cases once I dropped the pan and saw the problem the engine needed to come out anyway. I like to get the engine out and mounted on a stand where I can flip it around and really see things a lot better than when I am on my back with stuff dripping or falling in/on my face. Just my preference I guess.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote