Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-09-2011, 02:31 AM   #21
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida
Default Re: From running to not running, and no crank?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobs31ModelA View Post
FYI, I removed the old stock ignition system today, and replaced it with a "Transpark Universal" pointless ignition system. The kit also included a new ignition switch and a 6-volt coil. Ironically, once I had it all installed, I was able to crank the engine once again (whereas before, I had burned-out the coil and rendered the starter inoperative). So, it seems that the original ignition switch had indeed gone bad on me...
If it were me I would have gotten the car running with a stock set up and then decided to go to some other kind of set up. If it runs with the stock stuff you know all the mechanical parts are in good order. I feel you have just added another unknown to the mix.

Last edited by Mike V. Florida; 09-09-2011 at 02:43 AM.
Mike V. Florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 02:34 AM   #22
darrylkmc

Default Re: From running to not running, and no crank?

Yes you are correct, as long as the wiring is stock, the key only operates the ignition. You can see the draw on the ammeter when the points are closed.
This way your brake light, head and parking lights and horn operate without the key in the On position.
The starter is connected directly to the battery via the starter switch.
I would put original parts back on until everything works as it should, then you can change out parts one at a time if you want to modify things. Otherwise it make it very difficult to diagnose exactly what the problem is.
darrylkmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)