Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-16-2021, 03:47 PM   #1
Oldgearz

Default Turn Signals Again

Turn signal indicator light is the only thing on the whole car I can't get to work. I've searched the archives but can't find the answer. My problem is that while all the turn signals work as they should, including the emergency one in the rear window, the turn signal indicator light has a constant slight glow when the power switch is on and the bulb will not flash when either the signals or emergency flashers are activated. The unit is a Chieftain which is well grounded on the column. I have checked all grounds at all lights and they are all good. The steering column ground is good. I can't even get a test light to flash when I hook it directly to the flasher. I have the power hooked to the X, the lights to the L, and the indicator light to the P on the flasher. I have spent at least 3 days trying to solve this. Could problem be in the stop light switch or in the rear window emergency "Stop" flashing light? I took the fuse out of the "Stop" flasher and it made no difference. How can I get my indicator light to work? Any ideas will be gratefully tried.
Oldgearz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 06:07 PM   #2
dlfrisch

Default Re: Turn Signals Again

I had the exact same problem. I communicated with a couple of technicians. One from Eckerts where I bought the signal light assembly. No one had any answer. I just wired in a circuit loop each side (front and back) and installed a buzzard. Mounted the buzzard to the signal light switch.
dlfrisch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 09:43 PM   #3
jayvee34

If you run a 6 volt system and your signal indicator lights are 12 Volt bulbs they would only glow.
Old 06-17-2021, 05:42 AM   #4
Patrick L.

A buzzard ?! Boy, I don't think I'd want a buzzard strapped to the switch starring at me all the time ! How the heck do you see around it ! [ smiley face ]
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 05:45 AM   #5
Patrick L.

What JayVee said, plus I've found some switches packed full of grease which needed to be cleaned out.

I don't pay attention to that little tiny flashing lite anyway, I just look at the stalk position. But, thats just me.
Old 06-17-2021, 08:41 AM   #6
Badpuppy

Try a different flasher. A good 535 is hard to find these days - most have a transistor that usually works only on negative ground, hyperflashes on +G. The originals are totally mechanical and work either way.
Badpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 02:39 PM   #7
AGBill

I had the same problem and fought it for 2-3 days without success. I tried several brands of flasher relays and finally found one that worked the indicator lights on the switch with the car off. I started the car and the turn signal lights you turned on flashed, but the other side also illuminated at about 20% normal brightness....
When the indicators on the switch were working with the car off, they are very dim and would not be that helpful to alert you that you left the turn signal on.
I found some LED indicator arrow lights on Amazon and are going to mount them on the dash panel for my turn signal reminders. BTW, I have a 12 V system with LED bulbs.
AGBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 06:06 PM   #8
Oldgearz

Thanks for the replies. This sure is frustrating. I just ordered two different brand flashers and will keep trying with those. I also ordered a buzzer. Will let you all know if I get things working. I was wondering if the positive ground thing was screwing things up, so I hooked up a 6 volt flasher to negative ground on spare battery and the indicatory test lamp blinked as it should.
Old 06-17-2021, 07:22 PM   #9
Patrick L.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldgearz View Post
Thanks for the replies. This sure is frustrating. I just ordered two different brand flashers and will keep trying with those. I also ordered a buzzer. Will let you all know if I get things working. I was wondering if the positive ground thing was screwing things up, so I hooked up a 6 volt flasher to negative ground on spare battery and the indicatory test lamp blinked as it should.

Hmmm, now thats interesting. I didn't think that would matter. I'm assuming you're using a 535 flasher.
Old 06-18-2021, 08:47 AM   #10
The Master Cylinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldgearz View Post
In a negative world being positive doesn't always work out.

Enjoying life at the beach in SoCal...
The Master Cylinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 09:52 AM   #11
katy

Is the metal shell of the flasher grounded? Don't know if it matters, but it's worth a try.

Last edited by katy; 06-19-2021 at 10:23 AM.
katy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 11:31 AM   #12
Patrick L.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Master Cylinder View Post
In a negative world being positive doesn't always work out.

Its worth a try though isn't it ? I prefer positive, being around negative people I find tiring.
Old 06-18-2021, 11:48 AM   #13
ModelAMike1930

When ever I wire anything on a car I run a ground from the lamps I dont trust a body ground.. Rust or paint can interrupt the circuitBack in the early days of my working for the phone company I went on a panic call the al the lights on a switchboard were lite, it turned out that every light on a switchboard where lite. It turned out that the ground on the board was open and the lamps lite every one looking for a ground.

Last edited by ModelAMike1930; 06-18-2021 at 11:54 AM.
ModelAMike1930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 05:48 PM   #14
Oldgearz

Katy... I don't have the flasher shell grounded, but I was going to try that next. I took one of the 6 volt flashers apart because someone had mentioned setting the contact points a little farther apart to stop the bleed-over glow of the indicator light. I couldn't get that to work cause I ruined the unit. In looking carefully at the inerds, I couldn't see where grounding the outside frame would do anything cause it was insulated from everything else.
Old 06-18-2021, 09:13 PM   #15
dlfrisch

PatrickL.- It’s hard to even see a small 6 V buzzer (spelling) fastened to the signal light switch. Just let’s me know, if I left the signal lights on.
dlfrisch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 09:30 PM   #16
redmodelt

Quote:
Originally Posted by katy View Post
Is the metal shell of the flasher grounded?
The old style flasher does not have to be grounded, it could just be hanging there and will work. The switch itself were it mounts to the column does need to be. Not grounded could be why the indicator light is glowing.
Some LED types do need to be grounded.

Last edited by redmodelt; 06-18-2021 at 10:33 PM.
redmodelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 10:29 AM   #17
katy

I used a 6 volt flasher with built-in buzzer, like this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/17411714506...kAAOSwCXBd6WA5

No need for an indicator light.
Old 06-19-2021, 11:51 AM   #18
Oldgearz

I've checked the ground at the switch on the steering column several times. It is grounded.
Old 06-19-2021, 12:06 PM   #19
Patrick L.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfrisch View Post
PatrickL.- It’s hard to even see a small 6 V buzzer (spelling) fastened to the signal light switch. Just let’s me know, if I left the signal lights on.
LOL. I know it was spelling, the reason for the smiley. I just couldn't resist.

This seems to be a fairly common problem and I'm sure we've all left the signals on at one time or another. I know I have. However I don't attention to that lite, its too dim and small for me. I can easily see the left cowl lite reflecting off the headlite. And I keep the turn stalk lined up with a steering wheel spoke so its easy for me to see if the stalk is where it belongs. But it still is not where it belongs once in awhile. I've thought about a buzzard but I haven't bought one yet.
Old 06-19-2021, 12:08 PM   #20
vangorde

I had an issue trying to run LED bulbs even using a LED compatible flasher. They worked fine with the engine off but flashed erratically when it was running. I ended up replacing two bulbs with incandescent lights and it worked correctly.
vangorde is offline   Reply With Quote