Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-14-2016, 05:03 AM   #1
Truckedup

Default Stories of castings being aged

I hear stories how Ford stored engine castings outside for a year to season them. Looking for actual evidence of this practice if it actually was practiced. Old photos, engineering articles, eye witness accounts etc. Thanks
Truckedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 08:40 AM   #2
rotorwrench

Default Re: Stories of castings being aged

Production would not have allowed for a long seasoning like that. They may have set in stacks a while after they were shaken out of the mold process but I doubt if they set for too long before they went into the machining phase. They likely did set for a while after they were moved between the foundry and the machining stations. There probably are photos in the Benson Ford Center archives. There were even some production films made but I don't recall seeing any stacks of engines outside in the films I have seen.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 10:06 AM   #3
Mark Slight

I can shed some light on this. I started at the Henry Ford Trade School in 1951 our building at the Rouge Plant was an easy walk to the Engine assembly building.
Since I had a trade school badge #1018 I could walk into that building on my lunch hour, which I did many times. The site was amazing for a 15 year old.

Yes there were new blocks sitting on a large concrete pad along side of the building. I always wondered why they were being hosed down with a fire hose.
Some of them has all ready started to rust. One of the Trade School instructors told me it was the start of pickling.

I'm fairly sure they were not there for a year, from my observation more likely a month.

Mark Slight
Mark Slight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 10:20 AM   #4
Truckedup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Slight View Post
I can shed some light on this. I started at the Henry Ford Trade School in 1951 our building at the Rouge Plant was an easy walk to the Engine assembly building.
Since I had a trade school badge #1018 I could walk into that building on my lunch hour, which I did many times. The site was amazing for a 15 year old.

Yes there were new blocks sitting on a large concrete pad along side of the building. I always wondered why they were being hosed down with a fire hose.
Some of them has all ready started to rust. One of the Trade School instructors told me it was the start of pickling.

I'm fairly sure they were not there for a year, from my observation more likely a month.

Mark Slight
So you saw maybe 1000 block castings out of the million or so Ford made that year?
Old 04-14-2016, 10:24 AM   #5
ford38v8

I've seen a photo of a long line of stacked blocks, with Cast Iron Charlie walking next to them. Perhaps someone can pull up that photo ?
Old 04-14-2016, 10:28 AM   #6
Mark Slight

Truckedup, Yes possibly more since I walked past that building every morning I walked to the Trade school building.

My parents would not let me stay out all night to count them ! :-)

Mark Slight
Mark Slight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 12:33 PM   #7
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford38v8 View Post
I've seen a photo of a long line of stacked blocks, with Cast Iron Charlie walking next to them. Perhaps someone can pull up that photo ?
Here 'tis! DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 01:13 PM   #8
Flat32

I have an intense interest in the manufacture of the Flathead engine block from a foundry point of view as I'm attempting to cast blocks in 1/4 scale using the same mold and core designs as the full sized ones were done.

I'd like to communicate with any former Ford employee that was there during the Flathead years or anyone that has experience dealing with the Ford archives. A person that actually worked in the foundry would be a Godsend.

I've managed to create a computer model from copies of the original block prints and would like to find out if there are blueprints of the mold patterns and core boxes in existence. Any archival pictures of the core making process for the blocks and/or crankshafts known to exist I'm interested in.

Crankshafts went through a form of heat treatment to stress relieve which is somewhat like an artificial aging. There may have been some defined procedure post casting with a controlled temperature cycling on the blocks, but I don't know any facts. I'm fairly certain that the handling and processing of iron castings was well known in great detail at the time from a metallurgical point of view and Henry Ford employed the best he could find at the time. Seems like Charlie Sorensen was the kingpin.

I found it extraordinary that 1/32 inch was called out on a block print as the amount to add to the raw casting for machining.

Flat32
Flat32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 04:10 PM   #9
flatford8

Is is me or is the photo not there?..... Mark
Billy Joe Shaver
flatford8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 04:24 PM   #10
ford38v8

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatford8 View Post
Not you. No picture.
Old 04-14-2016, 04:32 PM   #11
rowens55

I think it's both of you. I can see the pic.
Rowen
Old 04-14-2016, 04:50 PM   #12
51 MERC-CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatford8 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ford38v8 View Post
Not you. No picture.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowens55 View Post
I think it's both of you. I can see the pic.
Rowen
Yes, I see it too. The picture was taken in a snow storm.
Old 04-14-2016, 06:22 PM   #13
48-710

Yes,I found it by right clicking and opening a new tab but didn't see the snow storm LOL. There may be other ways to view it also.
48-710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 06:28 PM   #14
Angledrive

That is cool
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg fordfoundry.jpeg (98.4 KB, 93 views)
Angledrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 06:32 PM   #15
40cpe

angledrive beat me to it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rowsofblocks.jpg (98.4 KB, 22 views)

Last edited by 40cpe; 04-14-2016 at 06:47 PM.
40cpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 07:16 PM   #16
Truckedup

Interesting photo...I would sat there's a few thousand, and it looks like milling or boring equipment behind them? That's probably the usual steady inventory waiting to be machined ?
Old 04-14-2016, 07:54 PM   #17
FortyNiner

I agree with Truckedup, that is steady state floor stock for a machining operation. Every maching operation that I've seen has some loss due to casting flaws (inclusions, porosity, and such) and a need to maximize machine utilization. Material movement was coordinated to minimize handling and assure availability. Quite the logistical dance.
Old 04-14-2016, 08:09 PM   #18
aonemarine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flat32 View Post
I have an intense interest in the manufacture of the Flathead engine block from a foundry point of view as I'm attempting to cast blocks in 1/4 scale using the same mold and core designs as the full sized ones were done.

I'd like to communicate with any former Ford employee that was there during the Flathead years or anyone that has experience dealing with the Ford archives. A person that actually worked in the foundry would be a Godsend.

I've managed to create a computer model from copies of the original block prints and would like to find out if there are blueprints of the mold patterns and core boxes in existence. Any archival pictures of the core making process for the blocks and/or crankshafts known to exist I'm interested in.

Crankshafts went through a form of heat treatment to stress relieve which is somewhat like an artificial aging. There may have been some defined procedure post casting with a controlled temperature cycling on the blocks, but I don't know any facts. I'm fairly certain that the handling and processing of iron castings was well known in great detail at the time from a metallurgical point of view and Henry Ford employed the best he could find at the time. Seems like Charlie Sorensen was the kingpin.

I found it extraordinary that 1/32 inch was called out on a block print as the amount to add to the raw casting for machining.

Flat32
Lol, small world.....post a picture up and i bet you will get a ton of respondents...
aonemarine is offline   Reply With Quote