Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-22-2021, 07:08 PM   #1
duke36

Default '30 under tank gas valve threads

Need the thread size for the in-tank hole and the fuel line connection end.
Thanks
duke36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 07:24 PM   #2
Y-Blockhead

Default Re: '30 under tank gas valve threads

The tank threads are ¼" pipe thread. Sorry I don't remember what the fuel line is off the top of my head.
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 09:08 PM   #3
JayJay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y-Blockhead View Post
The tank threads are ¼" pipe thread. Sorry I don't remember what the fuel line is off the top of my head.
Duke - one thing to be careful with is that the output side of the gas valve is a flare fitting, it's not a standard SAE straight thread. I've not had success finding a "hardware store" solution, rather just buy the right gas line from the suppliers.

Further to YB, technical names for the input side thread is 1/4"-18 MPT (male pipe thread) or 1/4"-18 NPT-M (National Pipe Thread - male) for the fitting, and 1/4"-18 FPT or 1/4"-NPT-F for the tank. If you are going to use a tap to clean up the threads in the tank be careful you don't overdo it, with a tapered thread the farther you go in the bigger the hole, and you may inadvertently make it too large for the valve to properly seat. DAHIK.

Don't forget to put a screen into the gas valve before reinserting it.

JayJay

------------------------
1930 Murray Town Sedan
1931 Briggs S/W Town Sedan
JayJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 11:27 PM   #4
Y-Blockhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJay View Post
Further to YB, technical names for the input side thread is 1/4"-18 MPT (male pipe thread) or 1/4"-18 NPT-M (National Pipe Thread - male) for the fitting, and 1/4"-18 FPT or 1/4"-NPT-F for the tank.

JayJay
Haha, Have you ever seen a ¼" pipe thread that wasn't ¼-18 NPT? I don't need no stinky technical names...
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 09:27 AM   #5
JayJay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y-Blockhead View Post
Haha, Have you ever seen a ¼" pipe thread that wasn't ¼-18 NPT? I don't need no stinky technical names...
No, I just wanted to emphasize the different thread standards. Wasn't trying to clarify for you. I've seen more than a couple of folks screw a 1/4"-20 SAE into a 1/4"-18 NPT without understanding the difference. It will start but then when it gets tough they just keep turning and totally screw up the fitting. Not something you want to do on the bottom of the fuel tank.

JayJay

------------------------
1930 Murray Town Sedan
Old 03-23-2021, 09:59 AM   #6
Pipewrench

Im trying to find out the same thing. Have a new tank in the back and Im using the stock Model-A 1930 shut off valve. Cant use the aftermarket pipe since its to short.
Pipewrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 10:19 PM   #7
duke36

Thanks Jay Jay. So the thread into the tank is 14-18NPTFine and the output to the gas line is 1/4-18MPT, male compression end ? Knew they were different but couldn't recall without a valve or gas line on hand.

Last edited by duke36; 03-23-2021 at 11:12 PM.
Old 03-24-2021, 05:35 AM   #8
Pipewrench

Its 5/8" - 18
Pipewrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 06:21 AM   #9
johnbuckley

" Haha, Have you ever seen a ¼" pipe thread that wasn't ¼-18 NPT? ....Y-Blockhead"

Oh yes, in the wide world beyond the shores of the USA.
johnbuckley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 06:28 AM   #10
Keith True

I think you need to back up a little bit.The tank thread size is 1/4 pipe.It is not fine.The outlet to the gas line is not pipe or compression,it is flare.
Keith True is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 08:45 AM   #11
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJay View Post
Duke - one thing to be careful with is that the output side of the gas valve is a flare fitting, it's not a standard SAE straight thread. I've not had success finding a "hardware store" solution, rather just buy the right gas line from the suppliers.

Further to YB, technical names for the input side thread is 1/4"-18 MPT (male pipe thread) or 1/4"-18 NPT-M (National Pipe Thread - male) for the fitting, and 1/4"-18 FPT or 1/4"-NPT-F for the tank. If you are going to use a tap to clean up the threads in the tank be careful you don't overdo it, with a tapered thread the farther you go in the bigger the hole, and you may inadvertently make it too large for the valve to properly seat. DAHIK.

Don't forget to put a screen into the gas valve before reinserting it.

JayJay

This is kinda getting way skewed. The output is ⅝-18 U.S.F thread, so it is not anything special -however where the issue can be found is modern fittings are not always manufactured to the same thread diameter as Ford engineers specified.

Below is a PDF that shows a portion of the A-9190 print that gives exact specification of the threads. As shown in the print, Ford used special gages to verify fit for many pieces such as this in their QC process.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf A-9190 Gas Valve Body02.pdf (420.8 KB, 66 views)

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 10:43 AM   #12
duke36

Ok I can make out 5/8-18 US fine. So I found this valve cut from the vendor's catalogue and have placed dimensions in order to chase the tank threads.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf valve.pdf (17.5 KB, 38 views)

Last edited by duke36; 03-24-2021 at 11:01 AM.
Old 03-24-2021, 12:03 PM   #13
JayJay

Quote:
Originally Posted by duke36 View Post
Thanks Jay Jay. So the thread into the tank is 14-18NPTFine and the output to the gas line is 1/4-18MPT, male compression end ? Knew they were different but couldn't recall without a valve or gas line on hand.
Duke - Others have very ably preceded me, but:

1/4"-18 NPTF gas tank fitting, that's 1/4"-18 National Pipe Thread FEMALE, not fine. The NPT standard defines the taper and the pitch, and the F defines that it's a female (internal thread). The corresponding fitting on the valve is 1/4"-18 NPTM, with the "M" standing for "male" (external thread).

Output to the gas line is (as noted above) 5/8"-18. But as I stated above, it's a flare fitting. I believe that a 5/8"-18 UNF (Unified National Fine, which is 5/8"-18) die should chase the threads if that's what you're after.

And we don't even want to start a conversation about thread shapes...

JayJay

------------------------
1930 Murray Town Sedan
Old 03-24-2021, 12:19 PM   #14
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by duke36 View Post
Ok I can make out 5/8-18 US fine. So I found this valve cut from the vendor's catalogue and have placed dimensions in order to chase the tank threads.
I don't want to sound like we are ganging up on you as that is definitely not my intent, but look at the print above and I think you will see that it really is not smart to "chase" the tank threads unless you have the proper tap ...which Ford used a different thread pitch than what I think you will find in taps today. I have experienced many gas tanks that had the threads cut oversized due to an incorrect tap size.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 04:58 PM   #15
JayJay

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
I don't want to sound like we are ganging up on you as that is definitely not my intent, but look at the print above and I think you will see that it really is not smart to "chase" the tank threads unless you have the proper tap ...which Ford used a different thread pitch than what I think you will find in taps today. I have experienced many gas tanks that had the threads cut oversized due to an incorrect tap size.
Concur. I've found over the years in many pipe thread applications that "chasing" a female tapered fitting with a tap results in an oversize hole, and the male fitting threads in too far. Many folks equate "chasing" with "cutting new metal". If you cut new metal with a tapered tap you are increasing the diameter of the hole. If you do choose to "chase" a tapered thread hole, be sure to do it very delicately so that you are only cutting rust or paint, not enlarging the hole. Some time in the last 90 years someone(s) did that to the fuel valve seat in the tank of my pickup, and the valve bottoms out in the hole without sealing tight. Needs liberal doses of thread sealant, and frequent replacement (the sealant, not the valve).

BTW, same caution on "chasing" the GAV housing thread in a Zenith, that's a 1/8"-27 NPTF.

JayJay

------------------------
1930 Murray Town Sedan
Old 03-30-2021, 09:46 AM   #16
duke36

Inside steel fuel lines all 5/16" OD ?
Old 04-01-2021, 06:22 PM   #17
duke36

Just found the parts in a box. The early valve is like the engin dwg. The later ones the handle nut has internal threads which I'm not sure what the threads are.