Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-15-2017, 05:08 PM   #1
Don S.

Default Overcharging?

Hi Everyone! It was a beautiful day so I got my coupe out for a little spring drive. Fired right up after sitting all winter. Only went 5 mikes is so and could smell that "charging battery" smell. Went back to the house and put my meter on the battery. It was charging at 8.5volts. Just went thru last year and cleaned all the cable connections etc.. The amp gauge was only at around the 4-5 amp range. What do you think? Cutout??? Thanks
Don S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 05:42 PM   #2
cpf240

Default Re: Overcharging?

The cutout is not a regulator.

Was the battery on a tender during storage? If not, perhaps the system was working to replenish the battery. Though I'm not sure you should be smelling it. Further investigation required!
cpf240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 08:35 PM   #3
Don S.

Thanks for the reply. The battery was not on a tender. It did fire right up with no issue though. I did replace the battery last summer. The old one just didn't crank it anymore, and was about 10 years old. The only thing that caught my attention was the smell. It's that "ozone" smell. I work around electric forklifts and smell the batteries all the time when they are on the chargers. Maybe it just needs a good charge? What acts as the regulator on this system? Thanks again.
Old 04-15-2017, 08:49 PM   #4
Tom Wesenberg

There is no regulator, unless you add one. Moving the third brush will change the charge rate. I use a regulator, but for a stock generator I wouldn't have the charge rate more than 2 or 3 amps at most.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 08:55 PM   #5
Art Newland

Sitting all winter and the battery is at 8.5 volts? Somethings not right. Sure you measured it correctly?
Art Newland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 09:12 PM   #6
Bob C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don S. View Post
Thanks for the reply. The battery was not on a tender. It did fire right up with no issue though. I did replace the battery last summer. The old one just didn't crank it anymore, and was about 10 years old. The only thing that caught my attention was the smell. It's that "ozone" smell. I work around electric forklifts and smell the batteries all the time when they are on the chargers. Maybe it just needs a good charge? What acts as the regulator on this system? Thanks again.

Basically the battery. See the link for a short explanation of the three
brush generator. http://www.splitdorfreg.com/Splitdor...or_systems.htm

Bob
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 09:28 PM   #7
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Sounds like a battery problem. Disconnect the battery from the car. Put the charger on the battery and charge it an accordance with the instruction on the charger. (I don't know what charger you have, trickle, automatic, fast charge etc.)

You could also just take the battery to be tested.
Old 04-15-2017, 09:38 PM   #8
Art Newland

Don S, I assume your A is 6 volt car?
Old 04-15-2017, 09:41 PM   #9
Don S.

The battery was at 8.5 volts after driving for about 20 minutes. Don't know what it started out at (from sitting) but the car cranked right up. If the battery acts like it's own regulator, then maybe it is just weak from sitting. I'll get it out and charged up and recheck it and the generator output again. I'm using my good fluke meter so it should be pretty accurate. Thanks
Old 04-15-2017, 09:43 PM   #10
Don S.

Yup, 6 volts, Pos ground. New battery last summer. Everything stock as far as I can tell.
Old 04-15-2017, 09:49 PM   #11
Art Newland

If a 6 volt battery is reading 8.5 volts, I'd say that it's already overcharged...
Old 04-15-2017, 09:51 PM   #12
Bob C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don S. View Post
The battery was at 8.5 volts after driving for about 20 minutes. Don't know what it started out at (from sitting) but the car cranked right up. If the battery acts like it's own regulator, then maybe it is just weak from sitting. I'll get it out and charged up and recheck it and the generator output again. I'm using my good fluke meter so it should be pretty accurate. Thanks

Try an analog meter some of the digitals don't like the Model A electrical systems.

Bob
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 11:01 AM   #13
redmodelt

RE; If the battery acts like it's own regulator
The battery does not act as a regulator, that's the job of the mechanical cutout (or modern diode or regulator) mounted on the generator. Check the battery voltage at the post again, it should be just over 6 volts. Have you replaced the cutout? REcheck the AMP output at the generator, maybe you have a bad ampere meter and it is reading low.
Old 04-16-2017, 12:05 PM   #14
Don S.

Got it on charge today. Going to let it charge up for the day. Located an analog meter to try. I was doing some reading on the cutout too. Just have to see what it looks like after a good recharge. Thanks everyone! I'll try to keep ya posted. Happy Easter!
Old 04-16-2017, 08:48 PM   #15
Art Newland

Really the cutout is simply that, it's just a set of contacts that close once the generator is producing more voltage than the battery. Then it "cuts out" of the circuit when the generator is producing less voltage than the battery... like when you shut the car off. Otherwise current would flow out of the battery into the generator and drain the battery. The cut-out does no "regulation", the third brush can add or decrease the current (amps) but still no regulation.
Old 04-17-2017, 04:38 PM   #16
ursus

So, if the cut-out failed to cut out when the ignition is off would mean that the points stay closed and that one could detect the battery voltage on the "GEN" side of the cut-out?
ursus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 04:55 PM   #17
cpf240

Regardless of the points, if the cutout failed in the closed position, the generator would be trying to turn against the fan belt, as it is really just a DC motor.

The points have nothing to do with it.
Old 04-17-2017, 06:03 PM   #18
ursus

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpf240 View Post
Regardless of the points, if the cutout failed in the closed position, the generator would be trying to turn against the fan belt, as it is really just a DC motor.

The points have nothing to do with it.
I was using the wrong term - when I said "points" I meant the contacts in the cut-out. So when the cut-out fails in the closed position, there would be 6 volts on the "BATT" side of the cut-out and 6 volts measurable on the "GEN" side, which would be trying to motor the generator and turn the fan, correct?
ursus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 06:55 PM   #19
cpf240

Yes
Old 04-17-2017, 08:32 PM   #20
eagle

The ammeter on most cars is NOT an accurate meter. If you truly have 8.5 volts on the battery, you are definitely overcharging. Use an accurate ammeter in-line with the generator, and at cruising RPMs set your 3rd brush for about 3 or so amps of charge. If you replace the cutout with a voltage regulator (in a cutout can style) first set your charge current to about 12 or 13 amps, then replace the cutout with the regulator.