Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-02-2016, 04:47 PM   #1
hope

Default Hand Throttle

Does anyone know where to buy one of these Hand Throttle (cruise control) adapter.
They are not listed in any of the principal catalogs, i'm not interested so much to use that as a cruise control, but i just don't like anything not complete.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 001.jpg (52.0 KB, 143 views)
hope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 05:10 PM   #2
scooder

Default Re: Hand Throttle

Which bit are you actually after? I've had Charlie (NY) sort me out the part that sits on the throttle shaft and the cable in my case, rod in yours. Then you got a spring and a doings that half turns and holds it all together. Assuming you have the correct throttle shaft and base.
Give him a shout.
P.s. don't call it a cruise control! You'll have folk spitting feathers!! It's purely a hand throttle, and isn't meant to be used as a cruise control, especially without parental guidance.
Martin.
scooder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 06:49 PM   #3
tamnalan

Well, technically it IS a cruise control. I use it as such on my flatfender jeep. It's just not sensitive to engine load changes.
tamnalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 11:56 PM   #4
DavidG

Nor does it disengage when you tap the brake pedal, which is a pretty big "miss".
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 03:15 AM   #5
Snouts out

In the late 60s & early 70s all military vehicles had e'm.On a road march they were used,no regulation against it. I use the one on my 38 standard, when cruising long stretches of the expressway,remember to push it in when coming to a stop!
Snouts out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 07:53 AM   #6
hope

My original inquiry was: Anyone one know where i can buy it:
Old 11-03-2016, 08:38 AM   #7
scooder

Hope,
Like I said in my post, Charlie NY is the source I used for the hand throttle bit I needed.
Give him a shout.
Martin.
Old 11-03-2016, 08:45 AM   #8
scooder

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamnalan View Post
Well, technically it IS a cruise control. I use it as such on my flatfender jeep. It's just not sensitive to engine load changes.
I've gota disagree, a cruise control keeps you moving at a predetermined speed, it automatically adjust the throttle to stay at this speed when rising or dropping up or down grades. And as David said, it releases when you tap the brakes. Standard shift cruise controls also release the control when you press the clutch pedal. A hand throttle does none of this. As it is merely a hand throttle, Not a cruise control. I
Martin.
Old 11-03-2016, 02:07 PM   #9
hope

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooder View Post
Hope,
Like I said in my post, Charlie NY is the source I used for the hand throttle bit I needed.
Give him a shout.
Martin.
Thank You :Scooder:
Old 11-03-2016, 06:05 PM   #10
tamnalan

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooder View Post
I've gota disagree, a cruise control keeps you moving at a predetermined speed, it automatically adjust the throttle to stay at this speed when rising or dropping up or down grades. And as David said, it releases when you tap the brakes. Standard shift cruise controls also release the control when you press the clutch pedal. A hand throttle does none of this. As it is merely a hand throttle, Not a cruise control. I
Martin.
I'm a math person by profession. Ignoring the safety aspects (and I agree with you completely there) - think of it in terms of set theory. Every throttle is a cruise control, but not every cruise control is a throttle. One is a proper subset of the other...
tamnalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 07:22 PM   #11
keith oh

A very good use of the dashboard (hand) throttle control is it's use in clearing a flooded engine. The hand control does not squirt another amount of gas to the already flooded engine so it should be used to clear the flooded engine by opening the throttle plate without adding more fuel.
keith oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 07:49 PM   #12
MGG

I make best use of the hand throttle pulled out part way when starting out on an uphill grade like from a stop sign or light. I can release the clutch with my left foot and keep my right foot on the brake until the clutch engages enough to move the truck forward. I can then move my right foot to the foot throttle and push the hand throttle back in with no coasting backward, and little chance of killing the engine.
MGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 08:43 PM   #13
scicala

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith oh View Post
A very good use of the dashboard (hand) throttle control is it's use in clearing a flooded engine. The hand control does not squirt another amount of gas to the already flooded engine so it should be used to clear the flooded engine by opening the throttle plate without adding more fuel.

When the hand control opens the throttle, it still operates the accelerator pump and squirts gas.

Sal
scicala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 02:49 AM   #14
scooder

Keith,
Have a look at your carb and operate the hand throttle, you'll see it , it is as Sal said, it still operates the accelerator pump, and therefore still shoots a Shot of gas down the carb.
Martin.
Old 11-04-2016, 12:29 PM   #15
keith oh

Have a look at your carb, open hand throttle , you will see the accelerator pump cannot be operated with the foot throttle as long as the hand throttle is held open therefor no more fuel squirted in to an already flooded engine. My bad, my explanation was not complete as you pointed out.
keith oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 05:40 PM   #16
B-O-B

Why flood it in the first place?
B-O-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 07:36 PM   #17
scicala

I'm moving on.

Sal
scicala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 09:36 AM   #18
scooder

When you pull the hand throttle, which turns the throttle shaft, which is connected to the foot throttle connection, which is connected to the accelerator pump. This accelerator pump shoots fuel from the squirters.
With the accelerator link connected, you can not operate hand or foot throttle from closed without the accelerator pump squirting.
Whilst the throttle is held open at any position either by hand or foot throttle, the accelerator pump won't squirt, but either from rest will make the accelerator pump squirt.
That is a fact.
Martin.