Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-06-2014, 02:52 PM   #1
clee2

Default Need Front hub lug lengthened

I am putting on modern rims for 29 ford but the lugs on the front rims are too short. I have a 1/4 inch of thread to use. Does anyone know of an extension or what kind of lug to get to replace and also the best way to remove them.
clee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 03:48 PM   #2
Farrell In Vancouver

Default Re: Need Front hub lug lengthened

You would have to cut the swedging off the lugs and press them out after properly supporting the hub to prevent warping. With the "modern rims" you intend on using, are they supported by the hub face or just relying on the studs to hold them on?
Farrell In Vancouver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 05:56 PM   #3
Mikeinnj

What are the "modern rims from, make, size , year ?
Mikeinnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 06:17 PM   #4
Charlie Stephens

There may be a more serious problem lurking that is at least part of the problem. The Model A has a raised ring resulting in a mounting surface that is at two levels. If you don't address this problem and just bolt modern rims (like '40-'48 Ford etc) on to the mechanical brake drums you risk HAVING THE WHEELS COME OFF OF THE CAR. As soon as HAMB comes back up I will post the location of some photos that show this. In the meantime when you put the wheel on the drum does it sit flat on the hub or is there a space? What do you mean by "modern rims"? For what it is worth 16 inch Kelsey wire wheels bolt right on and look great (in my opinion). Replacing the lugs is a big job that needs to be done by someone with the knowledge and tools. Post your general location and you might get recommendations of who to do the work.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 07:49 PM   #5
clee2

I will post a pic as soon as possible. Sorry but by modern rims I meant not spoked. The rims do sit flat against the hub with the raised area already through the hole with a nice fit. The problem is that the lugs maybe have 1-2 threads that go past the outside of the rim. The people who had it before me drove it this way with these rims but I would feel more comfortable with a little more thread to tighten down on.
Old 05-06-2014, 08:37 PM   #6
machine girl

we would agree with Charlie, get rid of those rims, get proper ones that fit, trying to change studs (or finding longer ones ) will not fix the problem. those rims are not for model A drums.
machine girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 08:53 PM   #7
Charlie Stephens

Quote:
Originally Posted by clee2 View Post
I will post a pic as soon as possible. Sorry but by modern rims I meant not spoked. The rims do sit flat against the hub with the raised area already through the hole with a nice fit. The problem is that the lugs maybe have 1-2 threads that go past the outside of the rim. The people who had it before me drove it this way with these rims but I would feel more comfortable with a little more thread to tighten down on.
How do your studs extend out from the drum? That is probably not the problem but good to check and eliminate.

Charlie Stephens
Old 05-06-2014, 09:15 PM   #8
jr-41ford

I bought a set of 1 inch thick wheel adapters, so I could put on an assortment of wheels that I have.

They are 5 on 51/2 to 5 on 51/2, but you can buy whatever combination you prefer. Mine are for a Jeep, Dodge Pickup, bought them directly from a seller on eBay and they are made well, fit perfectly.

The seller I used is EZ Accessory, but there are about a half-dozen other that sell them, prices do vary.

Here's a link to the seller's ebay page, includes a picture of some that are similar to the ones I bought.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Custom-Wheel...item540827aaae
jr-41ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 09:35 PM   #9
Charlie Stephens

Have you tried stock Ford wire wheels (1928-35 except AR)?.

Charlie Stephens
Old 05-06-2014, 10:23 PM   #10
clee2

Charlie, the rims are old stock rims that fit fine on the hub. My problem is that the studs barely stick out past the holes in the tire rim. I just feel uncomfortable about driving them that way even though the prior owner did. The rims are old and fit perfect around the center of the hub which has the raised area.
Old 05-06-2014, 10:39 PM   #11
Bob C

What the guys are trying to tell you is if the wheels are like 40's 16" ford wheels
then you need adapters to support the rim correctly.

Bob
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 10:51 PM   #12
clee2

Oh ok. I guess I was confused. I was thinking if the rim fit on the elevated ring it was good to go. The rims are 15".
Old 05-06-2014, 11:17 PM   #13
Benson

Quote:
Originally Posted by clee2 View Post
Charlie, the rims are old stock rims that fit fine on the hub. My problem is that the studs barely stick out past the holes in the tire rim. I just feel uncomfortable about driving them that way even though the prior owner did. The rims are old and fit perfect around the center of the hub which has the raised area.
In post number 1:

"I am putting on modern rims for 29 ford but the lugs on the front rims are too short. I have a 1/4 inch of thread to use. Does anyone know of an extension or what kind of lug to get to replace and also the best way to remove them."

I think that you have old style AR hubs on the front wheels and are installing new style "B" wheels. (Previous owner that is) This is very a dangerous combination.

The studs will be too short if new style "b" wheel is installed on an AR early style hub.

Page 328 of service bulletins says:

"Use of a B wheel with an "AR" hub does not allow sufficient threads on the hub bolts (studs) to project though the wheel to permit the wheel nuts to be securely tightened. See figure 662."

Now I see that you say in post 12 that the wheels are 15 inch! Who knows if they are the correct fit for Model A hubs ... I think NOT

Last edited by Benson; 05-08-2014 at 12:11 PM. Reason: Orange
Benson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 11:50 PM   #14
cfordman

I put late model 15 inch wheels on my 30. I bought 1 1/2" wide spacers with a 5x5 1/2 pattern off of ebay. $49 for two spacers and free shipping. very well built. the rear lugs were more trouble they were too short to fit the spacers ( same as front). I ground out the original bolts and went to napa and got tapered wheel lug BOLTS 13x20 and 1 1/4 inches long. with a little more tapering on the grinder they fit the original taper. I bolted the spacer to the drum for alignment purposes and then mig'd the bolts in place. just a note nine out of ten of the original rear lugs were welded in and not pretty or straight. I hope this doesn't upset the purists but it does answer the question.
cfordman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 01:03 AM   #15
clee2

Benson, I think you found the problem. I bet money you are correct on the "B" wheels. Just curious can the front hubs be changed out to fit "b" wheels or will the hub not fit model a spindle? Trying not to have to wield an extension like cfordman even though it might be last option. New at all of this so thanks everyone for all the advice
Old 05-07-2014, 01:13 AM   #16
clee2

I just looked at some pics of a "b" rim and that is what is on front.
Old 05-07-2014, 01:32 AM   #17
Skeezixx

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfordman View Post
I put late model 15 inch wheels on my 30. I bought 1 1/2" wide spacers with a 5x5 1/2 pattern off of ebay. $49 for two spacers and free shipping. very well built. the rear lugs were more trouble they were too short to fit the spacers ( same as front). I ground out the original bolts and went to napa and got tapered wheel lug BOLTS 13x20 and 1 1/4 inches long. with a little more tapering on the grinder they fit the original taper. I bolted the spacer to the drum for alignment purposes and then mig'd the bolts in place. just a note nine out of ten of the original rear lugs were welded in and not pretty or straight. I hope this doesn't upset the purists but it does answer the question.
Model A lugs are not tapered. They require swedging to fit correctly.
Skeezixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 01:48 AM   #18
cfordman

true the original lug nuts require swedging, but the heads on the rear lugs ARE tapered and fit into a tapered hole in the hub. since there are no long "swedgable" (new word) replacement bolts the tapered lug bolts work great but have to be welded in place.
Old 05-07-2014, 01:55 AM   #19
cfordman

the only welding was on the rear lug heads to tack them in place once they were seated in the taper, when I replaced the short swedged bolts with new longer lug bolts. the front wheels were a snap, there was enough original stud to secure the spacer. the spacers have recessed holes that allow the A studs to fit.
Old 05-07-2014, 02:08 AM   #20
cfordman

the wheels were 1975 ford truck rims. 6" wide x15. bolt pattern 5x5 1/2. you probably don't want to hear how i bought 2 1926 model t fenders at Pate for $20 and reshaped ( cut the heck out of them) to make cycle fenders for the front since i'm running 205x15s. you have to love the adaptability of a model A to make everyone happy.