Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-23-2020, 02:37 PM   #301
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default Re: Model A Huckster Group

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Dayhuff View Post
Got a question on the value of a Huckster. I know of one thats available that is either a 28 or 29 I can't remember. I've seen the car a few times and it's painted red with the black fenders. Over all it seems to be in decent shape but I've never really seen it in the daylight but the car has only been started a couple of times in the last ten years I'm going to say. The wood looked good from what I could tell, interior was nice too. The paint was dirty from sitting around but I don't remember there being anything bad about the paint that I remember but again I never got a good daylight look at it yet. So my question is, whats something like this worth as it sits? Thanks for any help you can give me.

Hi John, there is no real way to 'armchair appraise' this vehicle. It could be a well-prepared vehicle that was never driven, -or it could be a very poorly repaired vehicle that was unreliable so it was parked all these years.

If you use $10k as a starting point, if the engine was only 'rebuilt with a spray can' and does not run that strongly, then $3k - $5k is a realistic number for you to have the engine rebuilt. If the brakes are weak, then $1k - $2k is not unrealistic for you to rebuild the entire braking system. The same applies to steering. If the tires are old and tired from setting, good tubes & tires will be over $1k. If the gas tank is full of rust and debris, it will be over $2k to restore the tank correctly.

That is enough for you to see my point. Everyone has a different idea of what the word 'Restored' means. More often than naught, most vehicles are just 'Repaired & Repainted' instead of truly being being Restored. Just realize this when you establish the value.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 08:13 PM   #302
John Dayhuff

Thanks for your input Brent, I totally know where your coming from and I appreciate your honesty. I know that the last two owners of the car had more money then they knew what to do with so it was just something that they acquired along the way and neither one of them had any real interest in the car, in fact I know the current owner very we'll and he's had it for at least 6-7 years that I know of and he's never driven it and has no interest in the car and has never even heard it run. I talked to the guy that did get it running after it had been sitting for approximately 10 years I'm guessing and he drove it up and down the road a few times but that was it, it wasn't his to really be put through the paces and then it got parked again where it's been sitting again for the last 4-5 years. I would be surprised if the car even started under it's own battery power after so long again.
Anyways, I was told to make an offer on it but I don't want to take a bath on the car since it's not something I would keep for a long period but it would be fun for a little change of pace is all. I know putting a number on it is hard especially not being able to see it but I did tell him that I would want to start and drive the car before making any kind of offer but I just didn't know where to begin without getting the door slammed in my face is all. What with that said and your input, would $5K be a good starting point of an offer even if it didn't run and I was not able to drive it?
Thanks,
Old 04-25-2020, 07:14 AM   #303
DBSHELTON

I have a 1930 Huckster and love it. When I got it the first thing I did was remove the rear partition behind the seats, install Jeep CJ5 replacement seats, and moved them back a touch for more leg room. Comfortable and kinda of an open air feel to it. I also have a 1929 Tudor but it seems like people love the huckster best! Me, I love them both!
DBSHELTON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 07:11 PM   #304
paolo_arg

hi, my name is paolo and i found what i think is ford a huckster... what do you think???

paolo_arg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 08:45 PM   #305
DBSHELTON

What type of finish do you have on your Woody Wagons and Hucksters?
Old 06-28-2020, 09:38 PM   #306
kenparker

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Hi DBShelton. I lived in Nederland for most of my life. Know 'xactly where Kountze is. My Huckster/Special Delivery is painted Kakki from the windshield forward. The wood is clear coated Red Oak. Each piece of oak was sealed with one coat of Helmsman Urethane, then covered with a second coat of Clear Gloss Urethane. After assembly the third coat of clear was applied.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2 17 2020 n.JPG (127.5 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg 9 25 2019 a.JPG (140.6 KB, 45 views)
kenparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 05:30 AM   #307
DBSHELTON

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenparker View Post
Hi DBShelton. I lived in Nederland for most of my life. Know 'xactly where Kountze is. My Huckster/Special Delivery is painted Kakki from the windshield forward. The wood is clear coated Red Oak. Each piece of oak was sealed with one coat of Helmsman Urethane, then covered with a second coat of Clear Gloss Urethane. After assembly the third coat of clear was applied.

Kin to TJ Parker? Looks nice! Not sure what is on mine. It is quite old and has a slightly "sticky or tacky" feel to it. Overall in good shape but some day I will want to do something with it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20190922_163724256_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpg (111.7 KB, 46 views)

Last edited by DBSHELTON; 06-29-2020 at 05:39 AM.
Old 06-29-2020, 08:32 AM   #308
Chris in WNC

paolo_arg, What you have is a cowl and doors from a closed car. Most hucksters have wooden doors, but I have seen a wooden delivery built from remains of a Coupe and it kept the steel doors and looked fine......
Old 06-29-2020, 08:35 AM   #309
Boston Bruce

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBSHELTON View Post
What type of finish do you have on your Woody Wagons and Hucksters?

6 coats of Pettit spar varnish.
Boston Bruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 01:00 PM   #310
kenparker

TJ was a friend of mine, but we are not kin. If the surface of your wood (old varnish???) is stick or taacky, it will have to be removed before new varnish can or should be applied.
kenparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 05:08 AM   #311
DBSHELTON

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenparker View Post
TJ was a friend of mine, but we are not kin. If the surface of your wood (old varnish???) is stick or taacky, it will have to be removed before new varnish can or should be applied.

My thoughts exactly.
Thanks
Old 07-08-2020, 09:21 AM   #312
603Huckster

Hi all,
Just picked up a '30 Huckster yesterday that I plan on using for it's intended purpose - displaying and selling goods. Can't get it to start yet but I'm hoping I just flooded it. Charging up the battery to try again. I don't have much mechanical knowledge but I hope to learn. Just wanted to introduce myself!
603Huckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 10:00 PM   #313
PetesPonies

Still active?? I haven't posted in many many years. But I still am doing the same truck I wanted to do back then. I'm just now fitting engine and steering in it. I still plan on the wood cab and metal bed.
Old 02-19-2021, 06:25 AM   #314
DBSHELTON

Pete, sounds like a cool project. Some take longer than others.
Old 02-19-2021, 06:30 AM   #315
DBSHELTON

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBSHELTON View Post
Kin to TJ Parker? Looks nice! Not sure what is on mine. It is quite old and has a slightly "sticky or tacky" feel to it. Overall in good shape but some day I will want to do something with it.

After working on a part that doesn't show over the last few months. The tacky feel is like a very thin film on the finish. Sands off and cleans up easily. After waiting a month or so it is still hard. Takes spar varnish fine.
Old 02-19-2021, 12:43 PM   #316
PetesPonies

I've built many vehicles in the last 9 years. For myself and customers. The Model A has just been sitting, but I started back up about 6 months ago. Having fun, all new to me.
Old 03-09-2021, 02:11 AM   #317
Neil Mylar LakewoodCA

I have a friend who owns a 1929 Model A truck with a cab and bed built by an outside body company. He does not know who the outside body company was.

There is an outline on each door where an emblem used to be.
Does anyone know what body company would have had an emblem with that unique shape?

Thank you.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1942.jpg (108.5 KB, 34 views)
Neil Mylar LakewoodCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 05:23 PM   #318
Russell Reay

Default New huckster wannabee

I don't know if there is a formal procedure for joining this group, but I have a 1930 (coupe / pickup ?) with plans to build a huckster. I would dearly love to purchase a set of plans for a huckster body, knowing full well that there are several versions and styles. I mainly need a place to start. I have been through all the posts on this forum, but there has not been much activity lately. I note that Wagon Works in Iowa has been recommended, and Fred Kroon, Harvey H., dads39, and jazzjr have shown a lot of interest and skill in building a huckster. Would appreciate any reply to get me started
Russell Reay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 07:15 PM   #319
PetesPonies

Default Re: New huckster wannabee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell Reay View Post
I don't know if there is a formal procedure for joining this group, but I have a 1930 (coupe / pickup ?) with plans to build a huckster. I would dearly love to purchase a set of plans for a huckster body, knowing full well that there are several versions and styles. I mainly need a place to start. I have been through all the posts on this forum, but there has not been much activity lately. I note that Wagon Works in Iowa has been recommended, and Fred Kroon, Harvey H., dads39, and jazzjr have shown a lot of interest and skill in building a huckster. Would appreciate any reply to get me started
Sounds good. I bought plans, just want to build a cab. But teh plans are very good.
Old 06-07-2021, 11:06 AM   #320
Russell Reay

Thanks for your response. On Sunday I travelled 2 hours to look at a 29 huckster. The owner said I could take photos and measurements. He was very accommodating, but his huckster was built by a carpenter, not a cabinetmaker--2x4s. pine boards, and lots of drywall screws. My car isn't much better. I have a good supply of oak, ash, elm, and cherry lumber that has been drying in my barn for years, as well as an adequately equipped workshop. My plan is to disassemble my car, have the fenders and cowl repaired by a body shop, then fabricate a huckster body. My body may not be a prize winner, but it will have some decent joinery, aesthetics and function. If you have plans I could purchase, please let me know
Russell Reay is online now   Reply With Quote