Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-08-2020, 01:11 AM   #21
john charlton

Default Re: Do YOU single-clutch ?

In England and most former colonies we double deee clutch . More totally useless information from the Mother Country !!!

John in hot humid morning Suffolk County England ,

PS In England an English Muffin is a Muffin .
john charlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 08:52 AM   #22
eagle

In England an English Muffin is a Muffin
How come in America, American Fries aren't just Fries?
I very very seldom double clutch, only time is shifting down on a downhill slope where I want to use the engine braking. Otherwise, keep the engine idle low, wait between gears. Never grinds, clicks right in.
Old 08-08-2020, 11:57 AM   #23
aermotor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill G View Post
The key to single clutching on up-shifts is two-fold. First, the engine idle speed needs to be set low; Low enough to not stall, of course, but the lower the better. Second, you really need to wait before actually going into the next gear for the engine to come back to its low point. For instance, when shifting from second to third, don't be in a hurry to shift. Put the clutch in, shift out of second, then wait until you hear the engine settling down, and then put it in third and let out the clutch. Kind of like shifting in slow motion. Maybe two seconds, maybe three.
This works the best for me, I would like to add that these little engines have so much low RPM torque I start out in 2nd gear when on the flat, down hill and even slight uphill - It will go.

John
aermotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 12:33 PM   #24
Jim/GA

Quote:
Originally Posted by aermotor View Post
This works the best for me, I would like to add that these little engines have so much low RPM torque I start out in 2nd gear when on the flat, down hill and even slight uphill - It will go.

John
I agree, John. While I don't start out in 2nd gear, I don't stay in 1st gear for very long.

And I do not shift down to 2nd gear when going around most corners. (Someone asked earlier if you should downshift before or after the turn.)

Unless traffic has slowed me down too much, I just chug around the corner and carry on after the turn in 3rd gear. These engines have great torque at low RPM, just don't lug it really hard. Gently chug ahead and gain speed back.

Jim/GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 01:22 PM   #25
Jack Shaft
BANNED

Its one of the nice things about hopping it up,it recovers from a lug condition quicker and smoother.You can pull it down lower too,feather it in 3rd at 10 mph,no problem.Raising effciency helps on both ends,power and torque,higher compression can be used to an advantage low or high speed.
Jack Shaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 01:53 PM   #26
Patrick L.

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Yep, thats one thing I like about these old critters with that big heavy flywheel. They'll take off in 2nd and not blink an eye, they'll chunk along nice and slow in top gear and not care and pull away when asked.

All the fidgeting thats needed to drive these monsters is just part of the fun of owning one.
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote