Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-20-2020, 04:16 AM   #1
TiGuy55

Default 55 Ford Fairlane 12 volt conversion problems

UPDATE! its a 8volt system with solenoid and alternator..

I have a 55 Ford Fairlane thats been converted to 12volt system.. I am having trouble the dash lights to light up.. i noticed theres a wire missing on the headlight switch. Can i run a wire from the fuse box to the headlight switch dimmer connection stud, if so.. where is the fuse box :P please help if you can Cheers Tiguy

Last edited by TiGuy55; 09-26-2020 at 12:25 PM.
TiGuy55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 07:10 AM   #2
Dobie Gillis

Default Re: 55 Ford Fairlane 12 volt conversion problems

There is no fuse box. There's a fuse on the back of the headlight switch for the dash lights, turn signals, etc.
Old 09-20-2020, 02:51 PM   #3
dmsfrr

Your headlight switch may be a year or two older than this replacement version but the terminals for the instrument light dimmer are marked with yellow arrows.

The dimmer contacts get oxidized with age and lack of use. Rotating the switch knob back-and-forth several times usually gets them working again.
If the old 6v dash bulbs weren't changed out for 12v they may just be burned out.

In a '55 the small glass fuse on the back of the headlight switch is usually for the dome / courtesy light.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg headlight switch, inst dimmer terminals.jpg (60.5 KB, 23 views)

Last edited by dmsfrr; 09-20-2020 at 02:59 PM.
dmsfrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 04:31 PM   #4
TiGuy55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobie Gillis View Post
There is no fuse box. There's a fuse on the back of the headlight switch for the dash lights, turn signals, etc.
The turn signals lights work, and when i pulled out the headlight switch the fuse tested good. dmsfrr: The headlight switch is missing connecting wire for the yellow left arrow but i believe it has the right one connected
Old 09-20-2020, 05:35 PM   #5
dmsfrr

The wire from the dimmer on the headlight switch to the panel lamps should be Blue with a red stripe.
Old 09-20-2020, 08:07 PM   #6
Daves55Sedan

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Notice how the headlight switch terminals are labelled with a letter.
You have "H" for headlamps, "I" for interior lights, "D" for dash lights (off the dimmer control), "S" for stop lights. "P" for parking lights.
You should have a wire from the "D" terminal going to the dash lights. The wire may appear to be light grey with a red stripe, but if its not faded too bad may appear to be more bluish than grey.
Also, that round white thing on the front of the switch is the dimmer control. Sometimes the brass contact that touches the spring around the back of the porcelain drum can get corroded as well as the spring. You can take that off of there and clean the contact with a point file and knock the rust off that little spring using a wire wheel (carefully). Just barely touch it and turn it all around 360 degrees. That may be the cause of your dash lights not operating. I suggest coating the bare contacts with a little bit of Hi-dielectric silicone compound (gel) to keep them from further corroding.
Daves55Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 11:18 PM   #7
dmsfrr

If you can find a wiring diagram specifically for a '55 Fairlane it will be very helpful.

The letter / function labels of the terminals on the headlight switch are not the same on the '55 wiring diagram I have, compared to the reply from Daves55.

Last edited by dmsfrr; 09-25-2020 at 11:10 PM.
Old 09-21-2020, 02:32 AM   #8
TiGuy55

Thanx i will look for that next time i take the switch out.. had a hell of a time starting the bezel back into the dash board when i took the switch out before..
Old 09-21-2020, 02:36 AM   #9
TiGuy55

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmsfrr View Post
If you can find a wiring diagram specifically for a '55 Fairlane it will be very helpful.

The letter / function labels of the terminals on the headlight switch are not the same on the '55 wiring diagram I have, compared to Daves55 reply.

okay ..I will try to find a diagram..
Old 09-22-2020, 04:07 AM   #10
JeffB2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiGuy55 View Post
okay ..I will try to find a diagram..
This is the '56 12 volt switch
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 50's.jpg (62.5 KB, 27 views)
JeffB2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 10:53 AM   #11
54vicky

if you notice in the picture Jeff posted "D'' is for dome light not dash the dash light post is marked ''I''
54vicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 10:02 PM   #12
TiGuy55

Well guys turns out this car has an 8v battery not 12 as i was told. with a newish solenoid and alternator.. ..

so tried to find the blue cable with red to see why the dash lights all the sudden went out. still working on that one.. is there an easier way to get at the wires in the dash. i'm just thin enough to get between the seat and the wheel but once i'm there its a b#tch to get out if i need a tool.

radio has 8volt feed but keeps blowing the fuse..

still need to find dash light bulbs .. oh ya the gas gauge works but not the temp gauge..

instrument cluster lights don't work and the brights don't light up with 6 volt headlights

any help with all that would be appreciated..
Old 09-26-2020, 11:25 AM   #13
dmsfrr

Quote:
Well guys turns out this car has an 8v battery not 12 as i was told. with a newish solenoid and alternator.. ..

so tried to find the blue cable with red to see why the dash lights all the sudden went out. still working on that one.. is there an easier way to get at the wires in the dash. i'm just thin enough to get between the seat and the wheel but once i'm there its a b#tch to get out if i need a tool.

radio has 8volt feed but keeps blowing the fuse..

still need to find dash light bulbs .. oh ya the gas gauge works but not the temp gauge..

instrument cluster lights don't work and the brights don't light up with 6 volt headlights
any help with all that would be appreciated..
You still need a wiring diagram as specific to that year & model as you can find.

8 volt batteries were often installed to improve performance of the starter.
A 'slow' or dragging starter may be due to it needing bushings or brushes.
Dirty or corroded battery and starter cable connections and / or a poor Ground connection from the engine to the battery are more common causes.
Undersized replacement battery & starter cables may have been installed over the years and should be replaced. The larger number "1" or "0" gauge cables are needed to meet the current requirements of the 6v starter. (photo 1)
All three of them.

If the radio has the correct size fuse (14 amp) but it blows out, the radio may have internal problems.

Temp gauge: Ground the wire on the Temp sensor terminal and turn the key on, the needle should swing to the opposite side of the dial.
If not...
Check for battery power on the Black/green wire to the Temp gauge when the ign key is in the On/run position.
If there is power, temporarily connect the other gauge terminal (for the Temp sensor) to Ground, the needle should swing to the opposite side of the dial. If it doesn't the gauge is bad.
Also check the wire to the sender for loose or corroded connections.

Brights don't work. The connector on the floor switch may be loose or corroded, along with connections in the junction block on the left front inner fender, or those filaments in the bulbs may be burned out (not as likely but still possible).
Also... clean the Ground wire connection for both headlights. It may be fastened to a mounting screw for each junction block.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Battery Cables.jpg (32.8 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg headlight floor switch.jpg (65.0 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg junction block, left front.jpg (48.4 KB, 10 views)

Last edited by dmsfrr; 09-26-2020 at 11:58 AM.
Old 09-26-2020, 12:38 PM   #14
TiGuy55

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmsfrr View Post
You still need a wiring diagram

Brights don't work. The connector on the floor switch may be loose or corroded, along with connections in the junction block on the left front inner fender, or those filaments in the bulbs may be burned out (not as likely but still possible).

Also... clean the Ground wire connection for both headlights. It may be fastened to a mounting screw for each junction block.

I replaced the headlight floor dimmer switch with this one from Napa
https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/ECHDS101
it worked to turn the lights on and the brights the first few times.. but now the brights don't come on anymore. the headlights are 6volt
Old 09-26-2020, 05:05 PM   #15
dmsfrr

On the left front inner fender a bit behind the headlight is a junction block for all the lights on the front of the car. The bullet style connections get loose and oxidized. Clean and snug them up as needed.

Photo two.... a copy of the first photo that I drew on to refer to when reconnecting all the lighting wires on my '55. The wire positions as marked in yellow are probably NOT exactly the way Ford placed them when new, but it worked for me when attempting the job after 10pm.

Find the Green w/ black stripe wire for the high beams coming to this block from the dashboard and clean up its connections to the wires out to bulbs. There is a similar but smaller junction block on the right front inner fender for the lights on that side of the car.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg j-block top.jpg (42.6 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg j-block top, w arrows c.jpg (46.9 KB, 10 views)

Last edited by dmsfrr; 09-26-2020 at 05:39 PM.
Old 09-26-2020, 06:45 PM   #16
JeffB2

Quote:
I replaced the headlight floor dimmer switch with this one from Napa
https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/ECHDS101
it worked to turn the lights on and the brights the first few times.. but now the brights don't come on anymore. the headlights are 6volt
Maybe it's time to quit playing with a shortcut that isn't really a shortcut. https://darksidersrealm.forumotion.c...egative-ground Maybe this older discussion has some pointers for what you have now. https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showt...6087&showall=1
JeffB2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 07:26 PM   #17
TiGuy55

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffB2 View Post
Maybe it's time to quit playing with a shortcut that isn't really a shortcut. https://darksidersrealm.forumotion.c...egative-ground Maybe this older discussion has some pointers for what you have now. https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showt...6087&showall=1

Thanx JeffB2, I will look over it