Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-06-2013, 05:20 PM   #1
Mart

Default Dayum.. Just found a pan rail crack.

I bought a 59A flathead a few years ago and have just been cleaning it up to get it back into running condition so I can put it in my 33 as a freshened up stocker. I have fitted it with a full set of French valves, including the adjustable lifters and removed, cleaned and refitted the pistons and rings. The bearings have been inspected and are good. I was just cleaning up the sump face so I could refit the pan and lo and behold there is a crack about 2" long. It does not appear to extend anywhere beyond what I can see, and I can't find any more. The 33 runs a non pressurised system and my current thoughts are to lightly V it, epoxy it and carry on. It only has to hold the water, right?, and that is not pressurised.

I am annoyed, though. I do have one more block, but that is slated for a big overbore and a 4" crank, so I don't want to have to use that one yet.

I havn't sunk a lot of money into the one with the crack, so it is worth giving it a go, if it doesn't work, I can pull it and look at getting it pinned or welded.

Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote