Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-11-2016, 05:27 PM   #1
Fred K-OR

Default Kind of a Model A question

We have just moved to a house in Stayton Oregon. Have a problem trying to figure out how to get one of my Model A's onto my third garage if one comes limping home behind a tow truck. The problem is the ramp into the third garage (my new workshop) goes "up hill", that is the garage is maybe 5 feet higher than the street and has a ramp going up to it. This old guy could not push it up that hill to get it into the shop.

I am sure some of you have had the same situation. Got any ideas how this old guy could get the rig into the shop? Guess I could tow it up, bumper to bumper with the other A or try to do this with some other rig. But has anyone got another good simple idea how to get the rig up the ramp to the shop?

Thanks for any ideas you may have on this strange question.
Fred K-OR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 05:41 PM   #2
Synchro909

Default Re: Kind of a Model A question

I have a very steep approach to my garage too. I've found the best solution to your problem is "make sure it doesn't break down" but as a backup, I've considered a winch mounted at the back of the workshop to haul the car up the slope. Even one of those winches (of adequate capacity) they mount on the front of 4 WDs would do the job nicely.
Old 09-11-2016, 05:42 PM   #3
Step-down

I have a hill into my garage that I can normal drive right into in first gear . I did mount on the floor a Myte winch elec. drum years ago with the thuogth if one of these old project of mine stop running . Will last year after 12 years of never using my winch ,I winch my, 29 HD with side car into the garage . I'm glad I planned ahead.
Old 09-11-2016, 05:48 PM   #4
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

I positioned my vice in the middle of my workbench and I attached a ring around it to hook on a winch if necessary. That was a dozen years ago and the winch is still unused. Sometimes we spend time worrying over something that will never hagppen. Prepared..yes, overprepared, likely.

Wayne

Last edited by C26Pinelake; 09-11-2016 at 06:27 PM.
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 05:52 PM   #5
Jacksonlll

Send a message via ICQ to Jacksonlll

When I was a kid, for low cost, we used a rope fence stretcher. Not sure if they still make them.
Jacksonlll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 05:58 PM   #6
Fred K-OR

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacksonlll View Post
When I was a kid, for low cost, we used a rope fence stretcher. Not sure if they still make them.
Have one in my old shop in Banks. Use that thing many time in past years stretching fence. Good idea. Now all I need to figure out is where to attach the other end to. This garage is all finished so would have to come up with some way to attach it to somewhere. Could use my tow rope to come from street from the stretcher and them hook the tow rope somewhere. Got to work on those ideas.

Last edited by Fred K-OR; 09-11-2016 at 06:03 PM.
Old 09-11-2016, 06:06 PM   #7
Fred K-OR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Step-down View Post
I have a hill into my garage that I can normal drive right into in first gear . I did mount on the floor a Myte winch elec. drum years ago with the thuogth if one of these old project of mine stop running . Will last year after 12 years of never using my winch ,I winch my, 29 HD with side car into the garage . I'm glad I planned ahead.
That is what I am concerned about, that time when it happenes and it is raining like mad when I am trying to get it in. You are correct, guess I have to plan ahead.
Old 09-11-2016, 06:19 PM   #8
1931 flamingo

Any good tow truck operator should be able to "place" it in the garage. Tip him good. JMO
Paul in CT TRPC and WreckMaster certified tower.
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 06:20 PM   #9
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacksonlll View Post
We call those gizmos a wire strainer. Good idea. Simple and cheap. The wire strainers I like have two "arms" that "walk" along a chain, link by link. A longer piece of chain and you have it.
As for anchoring the other end, if there is nothing in the frame of the workshop good enough, maybe try running a cable or chain through the wall to an anchor set outside. I store my 6'X4' garden trailer in my garage and to take up the minimum amount of floor space, I lift it vertical, drawbar up. I use a manual winch mounted on the wall with the cable running though a pulley mounted high on the wall where the trailer is to go. I have anchored the pulley to a concrete block buried outside so that the wall takes very little strain during the hoisting process which even I can do easily with my post surgery bad shoulder.
With a little thought, you'll have a simple and effective way of getting that car into the workshop.

Last edited by Synchro909; 09-11-2016 at 06:28 PM.
Synchro909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 06:51 PM   #10
Tom Wesenberg

I use my old Cub Cadet to push and pull a dead car. In fact I'll have to use it tomorrow to move my 1999 Olds to a better spot in the driveway so I can get my Model A out of the garage to go get repair parts. Last Tuesday I had drive to the post office to return the generator to the ebay scammer, but my Olds had zero spark. Sure won't be an easy diagnostic and fix like the Model A ignition system would be.

BTW, the Honda generator when received looked nothing like the nice clean ebay pictures, so ebay sent me a return label to print, and gave me a full refund. So, if you get scammed by some jerk, be sure to take pictures right away and let ebay know about it. I've had a few parts arrive that were less than expected, but this is the first time for such a blatant scam, where I had to return an item.

If you don't have a yard tractor up to the pushing job, then I'd go with a winch in the garage.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 06:52 PM   #11
Marcus

Fred: Very simple solution - look at my Avatar to see the ramp in question. The '47 PU side is where I bring my "rollers" when doing projects. I attached an ATV (3000 pound pull) winch to the bottom shelf of my workbench. This runs off a 12 volt battery, and is out of the way. Cost of the winch was less than $200, I've had it for years, and never a problem. Sure makes life easy, especially for other uses (tractor needed some repairs - and no good way to push it into the "service bay.") if the cable is not long enough, simply attach a long tow strap.
Old 09-11-2016, 07:28 PM   #12
flatford39

I drilled a couple of 9/16 holes in the slab and set some 3/8 inserts. I use grade 8 bolts and bolt a chain to the floor. Then I hook up my 2 ton ratchet style come along and enough extra chain to capture the vehicle. It's a pretty good workout but you can pull just about anything. The last one I did was a 28 AA 1.5 ton truck that had all wheels frozen. I just dragged the whole mess into the garage and went to work.
flatford39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 07:48 PM   #13
Marvin/TN

Send a message via AIM to Marvin/TN

Just drill the floor and mount a tie down there. Either get a winch or a slower method is to use a come along and wench it in that way. The Elect winch would be much better and easier. Use a hammer Drill and a concrete bit, get a couple of Red Head anchors and drive them in the floor.
Marvin/TN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 08:26 PM   #14
SeaSlugs

yea im with the others and an electric winch, if budget is tight a come along will work too.
Old 09-11-2016, 08:43 PM   #15
ronn

Any good tow truck operator should be able to "place" it in the garage. Tip him good. JMO
Paul in CT TRPC and WreckMaster certified tower.

Paul is spot on-dont need to run yourself over and end up in the hospital..........
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 08:53 PM   #16
Big hammer

My driveway in 40ft raise of 8ft, I made a tow bar that attached to the front axle out near the spring perches, I then could push/pull the frame in and out. What a pain with no spotter, I thought about bolting a winch to the garage floor, but the cable would have soon warn a grove in the concrete floor!
Big hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 09:25 PM   #17
Quigley1930

I use a 35 year old Gravley tractor with a snowblade to push my A's. just put a blanket over the bumpers. Been foolin' with and usin' Gravleys since early fifties

Sewall
Quigley1930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 10:02 PM   #18
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quigley1930 View Post
I use a 35 year old Gravley tractor with a snowblade to push my A's. just put a blanket over the bumpers. Been foolin' with and usin' Gravleys since early fifties

Sewall
Can't go wrong with a Gravley. They were a division of Studebaker.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 10:11 PM   #19
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin/TN View Post
Just drill the floor and mount a tie down there. Either get a winch or a slower method is to use a come along and wench it in that way. The Elect winch would be much better and easier. Use a hammer Drill and a concrete bit, get a couple of Red Head anchors and drive them in the floor.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaSlugs View Post
yea I'm with the others and an electric winch, if budget is tight a come along will work too.
These were my thoughts as well.

You can use one of these for a few things.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...5486_200455486
Old 09-11-2016, 10:30 PM   #20
BILL WILLIAMSON

Tom W,
If the Model A wouldn't start, jist go to the post office on the CUB Cadet--LOL
Bro Bill W.