Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-02-2020, 08:36 AM   #1
sphanna

Default Cracked Wheels ???

I have two wheels that have cracks in them. One is more serious because it runs from the lug nut hole almost to the hub cap. the other has a barely visible crack around a lug nut hole. A friend tells me that radial tires are the cause. He says that radials put too much stress on the rims. I find this hard to believe.
could this be true?
Old 03-02-2020, 08:52 AM   #2
Mike Peters

Default Re: Cracked Wheels ???

Were they cracked before you installed the radial tires? Do your two good rims have radials?
Mike Peters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 09:21 AM   #3
Joe K

Um. Too much stress? The weight of the car is the same. The speed around corners is the same. The engine torque, horsepower, and acceleration is the same.

Sidewalls of tires presents a very flimsy envelope. The air pressure is the same.

The tread area is radial, but that is a hoop suspended by sidewalls and air pressure.

Very much more likely age and service and possibly a defect or two left over from manufacturing has caused this. No radial about it.

The cracks can be repaired by welding. You may need to "straighten" the wheel afterwards as welding (more than likely) will introduce distortion into the wheel - at least check. If run out is more than 1/8" you may feel it in the wheel or ride. Wheels can be straightened if you have the tool to do it.

Might be easier to just find another pair of wheels, spin check for concentricity, blast & check for cracks and broken spokes, paint and keep driving.

Joe K
Old 03-02-2020, 11:18 AM   #4
holdover

Seems to me that the flex of the radial sidewall would put less stress on the rim/wheel. As a safety factor I personally would replace the wheels.
holdover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 11:24 AM   #5
Charlie Stephens

Any chance you were running Model A wheels on a later Ford hydraulic brake drums without spacers? See: https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showt...=1#post1286293 How about a picture?

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 11:38 AM   #6
DBrer

I don't think a radial tire is the cause. Maybe years of tightening and loosening has work hardened the steel, is that possible, I'm just guessing.
DBrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 12:12 PM   #7
37 Coupe

Years ago when the old car tire manufacturers were starting to make radial tires to put on older wheels Old Cars Weekly did a story on it. It seems from what they said that pre safety rim wheels should never be used for radial tires because of the side to side stress put on them.One proof of this was it is hard to keep a full rim hub cap like a '37 Ford spyder cap in a wheel rim,they eventually work their way loose as rim to hub rivets wiggle their way loose also.The story was very negative to the then new use of radials on old wheels but the issue died out.I always suspected that the tire makers /advertisers shared their dislike to the publisher. I do know soon after new wheels were starting to be offered for the antique radial tires sizes. Ever notice hubcaps or wheelcovers are not offered on new cars anymore,at least 90% of them. The norm is an aluminum wheel of many different styles and sizes.I one asked at a Ford dealership why this was the case now and was told that new machining processes make them more economical for one reason especially because most are made in China and Italy and othe non USA countries. Another reason was no more lost or flying wheelcovers that wiggle off with aggressive radial tires.
Old 03-02-2020, 02:20 PM   #8
sphanna

To answer a few questions: I do not drive aggressively and I keep the lug nuts torqued to 50 #. I have mech brakes with "Flat Head Ted" and cast iron drums. The outer edge of the center part is in tight contact with the drum. When I ordered different wheels, last
Fall, I just purchased the rims out right and allowed the vender to pick out good wheels and powder coat to match. When I received the new wheels , I sent two raw good wheels to serve as cores. The wheels I traded in were very good wheels. The ones. I received were appearing good but not as smooth as the ones I sent him. They were acceptable to me but a few months later, I found the cracks. I don't know when they cracked but was within the last few months with the newly purchased wheels.
Old 03-03-2020, 04:31 PM   #9
Joe K

Quote:
I sent two raw good wheels to serve as cores. The wheels I traded in were very good wheels. The ones. I received were appearing good but not as smooth as the ones I sent him. They were acceptable to me but a few months later, I found the cracks.
Sounds like vendor/powdercoater (same thing here) didn't dye check and powdercoated some wheels that were 'on their way out."

Now you in driving have "flexed" the wheels normally and cracked the somewhat brittle powdercoating revealing the flaw.

I'm thinking "his pick" was none to good for you. But GREAT for him.

I would talk to them. Nobody worth their position in the hobby would let this go unanswered as a claim - there is safety involved. And, of course, the informational power of the Internet - ones reputation would be worth dog poop in short order.

His reply will tell you if he cares. And wants more business.

Joe K
Who brought Arnold Goff to task when he "reconditioned" two wheels for me, and on my picking them up and lifting the wheels by the spokes, found one spoke loose.

"Gee didn't you "ring" the spokes looking for flaws before you went to the trouble of blasting and coating these?"

"Don't worry Joe, I'll handle it. Come back in a week."

Arnold made good on it.

J