Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-20-2014, 10:17 PM   #1
Dana Barlow

Thumbs up fixed rocker oiling prob AOK

Picked up another complete 292 Y the other day,I love them,it had a outdside oiler hooked up to the right side only. After doing my checks of all other stuff,an then a short test start,it passed those with flying color,even 60 PSI oil too,so now to fix the rocker oiling.I pulled all the sparkplugs,an the right side rockershaft off,put a wire down the head hole to be sure it was at lest clear down as far as the block,spun it up with the starter tell it showed 50# on my gage,but no oil coming out of head hole. Nexted filled the head hole with carb cleaner and let it soak for 30min. refilling now and then. A bit more wiring it out and then fill again with carb cleaner. I pumped up my aircomproser to 110pis and with my airgun with its pointy end,stick that into the head hole that has the carbclear in it,be sure I'm stand off to the side{saftey so ya don't blast your self with carbcleaner,and being sure to hold it so the pointy end of airgun is sealing the head hole good,pull the triger pumping 110 psi into that hole,after about a min or so,I can see I'm starting to get oil moving in the semi clear oil gage plastic line=its now getting through into inside block oil lines{BINGO].
Next spun engine tell I saw oil coming out head hole like it should of,this took some time because the air PSI going the wrong way had push most of the oil out of block lines. Replaced rocker shaft an readjusted valves. One last note/were the outside oiler had been added it had to be removed and seal again like Ford did.
Hope that helps some one out.
To bad this 292 didn't come with some type of cool intake other then the 2bbl. Maybe I'll build myself a log-intake for 4 or 6 two's.
Dana Barlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 11:49 PM   #2
Dana Barlow

Default Re: fixed rocker oiling prob AOK

The rocker arm shaft oil blockage is nearly always the slot in the headgasket fills up with junk on one or both sides of motor,.
The old aftermarket outside oilers are one way to fix,but I don't like them,and another way is the long one of taking a head or heads off,replacing the headgaskets after cleaning the the oil hole down to the cam and the one in the head too.
Change oil m filter after and remember to use zink oil,I like 20w40 for Miami Fl. were I am.

Last edited by Dana Barlow; 02-26-2014 at 10:28 AM.
Dana Barlow is offline   Reply With Quote