Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-12-2021, 09:00 PM   #1
mgm60

Default Glove Box Spring Question

So I've searched the forum for instructions on installing the spring on the glove box door that helps hold it shut. Mine is a 1936 Roadster so it only takes one spring. Pictures I've seen show one end of the spring fits under the the bottom edge of the door and the other end goes under the bracket that bolts the door to the dash. In those pictures the bracket/hinge is one continuous piece of flat metal the hinge rod runs through. Problem with mine is it does not have a continuos piece of metal on the bracket/hinge but instead has two tabs, so nothing to hook the other end of the spring. What am I missing here?

Mark
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg Glovebox.jpeg (38.6 KB, 65 views)
mgm60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 09:41 PM   #2
rich b

Default Re: Glove Box Spring Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgm60 View Post
So I've searched the forum for instructions on installing the spring on the glove box door that helps hold it shut. Mine is a 1936 Roadster so it only takes one spring. Pictures I've seen show one end of the spring fits under the the bottom edge of the door and the other end goes under the bracket that bolts the door to the dash. In those pictures the bracket/hinge is one continuous piece of flat metal the hinge rod runs through. Problem with mine is it does not have a continuos piece of metal on the bracket/hinge but instead has two tabs, so nothing to hook the other end of the spring. What am I missing here?

Mark
I would say that someone possibly replaced a rusted/siezed full width hinge with two smaller tabs. We did the same repair; but added a piece of flat bar between the tabs to catch the two springs on a closed car glove box.
rich b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 10:46 PM   #3
Blastfromthepast

The only thing I can think of is attach it to the small tab as if it were the larger
metal hinge. The problem you might have is attaching the hinge to the glove box with the spring in the way. Try attaching the hinge first to the glove box and then slide the spring under the bracket if there’s enough room.
Blastfromthepast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 03:26 AM   #4
4 MAINS V8

The glove box door in your photo is the same as my very early build 35 phaeton. I mistakingly ordered a new spring clip, only to find the same problem, ie no bar to attach to. Apparently early 35’s used a catch at the top of the door. It appears your door my have been replaced by a earjy 35 door. I have used two small round magnets to secure my door, not correct, but try finding the correct catch!
4 MAINS V8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 04:12 AM   #5
deuce lover

An original locking knob/handle also solves this problem and secures valuables-dual purpose.That is what I did on a '35 roadster I once owned.
deuce lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 06:52 AM   #6
mgm60

Thanks for all the suggestions. Deuce lover I would like to use the original style locking handle but they are scarce and pricey. I'd also have to drill a hole in this door to accept one. Sounds like the easiest way to go is what 4 Mains V8 did with the magnets until I find a reasonable deal on correct door and locking handle.
Old 04-13-2021, 10:39 AM   #7
DavidG

What you have according to your photo is original to most '35 and all '36 phaetons and roadsters, unlike for the closed body types and cabriolets. The spring does not go under the bottom edge of the door, but rather fits into the rolled edge of the door, hence the notch in the cardboard door lining. The other end slips into a slot in the bottom edge of the dash. The two tabs fit beneath the lip in the opening for the glove box and are attached with the same screws as retain the lower edge of the cardboard glove box.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 11:18 PM   #8
mgm60

David G thanks for the additional info on the Glove box door and spring, good to know this is a correct 36 open car unit. I can clearly tell where the spring attaches to the lip on the door but don't see a corresponding slot in the dash for the other end. In these pictures of the opening for the glove box you can see two oval shaped slots on the bottom edge of the dash but they don't align to the spring location on the door.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GB 2.jpg (27.0 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg GB 1.jpg (32.9 KB, 12 views)
Old 04-14-2021, 05:13 PM   #9
Gary Tosel

Photo of 36 Roadster glove box door with spring from Don Rogers
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3636Roadster.jpg (59.1 KB, 43 views)
Gary Tosel is offline   Reply With Quote