Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-02-2021, 05:50 PM   #1
FRANK PKNY

Default 1939 engine transplant to an 8ba

I have a 39 coupe with a 59ab engine that's shot. I also have a Merc 8ba style engine that's rebuilt and ready to go . I would like to put it into the 39. what issues will I have regarding this swap? As I know the 8ba is somewhat longer due to the distributer placement.
Old 08-02-2021, 05:54 PM   #2
Phil Gillespie

Default Re: 1939 engine transplant to an 8ba

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRANK PKNY View Post
I have a 39 coupe with a 59ab engine that's shot. I also have a Merc 8ba style engine that's rebuilt and ready to go . I would like to put it into the 39. what issues will I have regarding this swap? As I know the 8ba is somewhat longer due to the distributer placement.
I have an 8ba fitted into a 38 barrel nose and there are nil fitment issues.
Using the cooling fan that sits below the generator. double pulley set up.
Phil NZ
Phil Gillespie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 06:06 PM   #3
Bored&Stroked

Here are a few things to note:

1) The entire front of the 59A is different than the 8BA - I like to reconfigure the 8BA to "act like" a 39-48 engine. The reason is that you can then use ALL of the front pieces from your 59AB and everything will fit where it is supposed to be and look the part. This is more work than just putting a 49-53 engine in (as is) -- somebody else can comment on the details of that.

Here is what I do - and 'yes' it is a bit of work, but the result tends to be the best

1) Swap the 8BA CAM out for an early cam - so you can run the early timing cover and front-mount distributor. While I'm at it, I change the cam/crank gears to the 59AB ones - as they thrust toward the block - while the 8BA ones thrust toward the timing cover.
2) I use the 39-48 water pumps - that way everything mounts into the car as it did before.
3) I also run the earlier front pulleys, fan setup, etc.. Basically everything that is already in the car.
4) Heads: You can usually run either ones - depending on your radiator hose configuration. I actually like the "look" of the earlier center outlet heads - as they are what came in the 39. If you put the early heads on a 8BA, you may need to plug a water galley hole in the deck (can't remember sitting here) - it is an easy thing to do if it is required. Also, you had to pull the heads to change the cam anyway, so you do this when the heads are off.
5) Oil Pan: I'm not sure which oil pan you'll need for the later engine (regardless if you do the above or not) - seems to me there is a special 'Merc' pan that has the sump in the correct location (more towards the rear) to miss the steering tie-rods? Anybody know the details here?

I know the above is a lot more work than just dropping in an 8BA . . . so this is just one way to do it.

Sticking to the standard 8BA Approach: I can't answer the question of which components you'll need to keep it an 8BA? I imagine you'll need the correct water pumps - that have similar mounting locations as the 37-48 ones. I also don't know about any issues with fan belt sizes/locations, crank pulleys, fan location and belt alignment, generator location, etc.. This has been done a zillion times before - somebody on the barn should have these answers.
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 06:08 PM   #4
Bored&Stroked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Gillespie View Post
I have an 8ba fitted into a 38 barrel nose and there are nil fitment issues.
Using the cooling fan that sits below the generator. double pulley set up.
Phil NZ
Good to know . . . as my "retrofit" approach is a lot more work and requires a pretty extensive tear down.
Old 08-02-2021, 06:32 PM   #5
19Fordy

I used the 1949-51 Merc. rear sump oil pan so as to clear the drag link when I installed the 8BA in my 40. Bored and Stroked's approach is the best as it solves the huge radiator hose clearance problems when trying to use the 8BA fan set up.
Read this thread about using the 8BA truck oil pan.
https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=301948

On the 8BA in my 40 I used the 8RT wide belt water pumps and the wide belt crank pulley and fan pulley. Like I said, getting the 8BA fan to clear the top hoses, the bottom hoses and still be centered in the radiator was a major issue that required making a whole new fan pulley and adjustment set up. I used a Walker radiator with matching radiator water inlets as the early style heads I installed on the 8BA block.

To mate the 40 trans. to the 8BA block I used 1949-51 Merc. press steel bell housing and matching pressure plate along with the 49-51 Merc flywheel, clutch and pressure plate. i believe the Ford pick up 8RT cast bellhousing, pressure plate, clutch and pressure plate will also work but recommend substituting the 10 in clutch and pressure plate as it's easier on your leg. Again , do a thorough information search for options. Oh, I also used the OEM 1940 throw out bearing.

There are lots of threads about installing an 8BA in early Fords so do a thorough search to find how problems were solved. Here's a photo of my 40 in 1964 sitting at the ESSO station at the intersection of Vassar Rd, Pine Tree Drive, Spackenkill Rd. and New Hackensack Rd. in Red Oaks Mill where I grew up. Back then, this intersection was known as "The Hub". The ESSO gas station is long gone. All the best. Jim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00806 (Medium)best.jpg (71.5 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9115b.jpg (88.4 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7208b.jpg (71.0 KB, 37 views)

Last edited by 19Fordy; 08-02-2021 at 07:31 PM.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 06:52 PM   #6
40cpe

I bought a '40 coupe in '85 that had an 8BA engine in it. It had the truck oil pan and it was not cut. I put an 8BA in my '38 5 years ago and after it was installed I found the drag link hits the oil pan on turns. I'm still trying to figure out why the '40 worked and the '38 doesn't. Mercury oil pans and the oil pickup are getting scarce and expensive if you find one. Attached is a picture of a modified oil pan that is supposed to work. It is in my plans to pull it all out and modify mine.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg oilpannotch.jpeg (72.4 KB, 41 views)
40cpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 07:35 PM   #7
19Fordy

Check this out.
https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showt...=8ba+1940+FORD

Do a SEARCH "8BA in a 1940 Ford." And "8BA in a 1936 Ford".

I just remembered that you can also use 1949-51 mercury wide belt water pumps but, you need the "U" shaped spacers. Merc. pumps are getting hard to find.

Last edited by 19Fordy; 08-03-2021 at 11:35 AM.
Old 08-02-2021, 10:06 PM   #8
FRANK PKNY

i have a 39 PU barrel nose with a 59AB engine With double pulley set up . However trying to put the 8BA in a 39 standard coupe. Wonder if the double pulley would work as I have that set up in my stash.
Old 08-03-2021, 04:00 AM   #9
Bored&Stroked

As long as there isn't an issue with the crank pulley, I don't see why it wouldn't work. This is assuming that you have the necessary fan setup, generator, etc.. If you need any additional help/pointers, feel free to PM me - be happy to help.
Old 08-03-2021, 06:32 AM   #10
19Fordy

I also found that the "Y" bracket that bolts to the front cross member and supports the two front fenders will hit the 8BA crank pulley so it has to be removed or modified. I removed it and installed 1/8 x 3/4 x 3/4 angle iron brackets using stock holes in the frame.

I also moved the radiator forward using holes already in the frame and did not use the radiator spring bolt mount kit. The two "twisted" radiator side supports had to be lengthened also. Radiator is a Walker. If you go with Bored and Stroked method you probably avoid all this. Just saying.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5475b.jpg (43.6 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5476b.jpg (71.6 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3902 (Small)best.jpg (39.2 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5479b.jpg (41.3 KB, 32 views)

Last edited by 19Fordy; 08-03-2021 at 09:35 AM.
Old 08-03-2021, 09:38 AM   #11
19Fordy

FRANK:

BE SURE to read all this thread plus the enclosed links.
Tons of valuable solutions.

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showt...+8ba+1936+ford