Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-07-2013, 05:42 PM   #1
Flop

Default Canfield is making me build a Roadster! Can I build it from swap meet only parts?

Well I got this cowl for reaaaly cheap Saturday so I guess I HAVE to build a roadster now! So lets see how long it takes to build a roadster from swap meet only parts !!

I also got a cowl side from a tudor with nice subrail extensions on the passenger side and some roadster stanchions!

I wanna try and keep the total build for the body under 1500 dollars in parts not including my time . I am going to try and use as much Henry as I can!

I will keep a running tally here .

cowl 60
tudor cowl 10
stanchions 20
doors/hinges 60
firewall 0

https://www.facebook.com/flop.custom

Last edited by Flop; 08-19-2013 at 02:39 PM.
Flop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 05:53 PM   #2
ford3

Default Re: Canfield is making me build a Roadster! Can I build it from swap meet only parts?

your darn right you can, just make a list of what you need and then go to the swap meets and friends for spare parts and gather them up, i helped a friend of mine build a 57 chevy step side truck from parts from swap meets and friends, nothing was bought new, the truck had nothing, no frame, fenders, bed, windows, seats or cab, the cab was brought home on a tow dolly, we went 5 miles out of our way on back roads to avoid the cops, any way it was assembled in six months, together now you would never know it was a tinker toy truck, so yes you can make a car out of spare or left over parts
ford3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 06:08 PM   #3
1931 flamingo

Default Re: Canfield is making me build a Roadster! Can I build it from swap meet only parts?

Flop, I'm sure if you can't find swap meet parts you'll be able to fabricate what you need.
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 09:04 PM   #4
Hicktick

I will go ahead and sign up for this one , keep on creating Flop , you the man .
Hicktick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 09:08 PM   #5
rollingsculpture

this is a 29?
Old 05-07-2013, 09:20 PM   #6
31ster

It's a 30/31
31ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 09:21 PM   #7
zzlegend

Ok Flop. You got my attention. I will be tuning in. If anyone can do it, i think it would be you. Keep us updated and good luck with it. Mark.
zzlegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 09:26 PM   #8
Carter

I've got some rough doors and gas tank suitable for cutting up that would be pretty cheap...
haha
Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 02:38 AM   #9
Roadster62

This will be fun to watch, keeping it at $1,500 will be a challenge. You can do it by buying more than you need and selling off unwanted items. Just this weekend I spent $145.00 on parts for my Roadster, and sold off the unwanted parts. After paying the postage the parts I kept cost me $10.66. Bob
Old 05-08-2013, 05:57 AM   #10
jimz31

If any one can do it, it would be you! Can't wait to watch this come together!
jimz31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 07:02 AM   #11
QGolden

I thought they were all built from swap meet parts!

It is the very things that we think we know, that keep us from learning what we should know.- Unknown
QGolden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 07:39 AM   #12
Ray in La Mesa

Of buliding a car from parts....... In 1968 I pieced together my '28 roadster pickup. I had $147 in the whole truck and put $1200 in to rehab the chassis.It was to be a "temporary " tour car till I got my Cabriolet restored. Now, in 2013 I'm still driving the pickup and the cabriolet is 1/2 restored. It's been a fun journey though.
Ray in La Mesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 08:23 AM   #13
Uncle Bob

This will be fun!
If availability back east is like out here in the west the deck lid might be the most challenging piece to find. Happy hunting............
Old 05-08-2013, 10:11 AM   #14
Wick

Body for 1500...That easy. My lastest shopping is 29 roadester windshield frame $20.
New repo sanchions $11.00 29 Cowl with tank $35.00 new running boards $45.00 Perfect splash aprons for $10.00 29 Shroud $10.00 steering coloum $20.00 steering wheel $10.00 Nice front bumper $20.00 All nice stuff...no junk.
All the little stuff is no more then $10.00 or less...
Flop include Auctions,craigs List with Swap meets. Last week in N.C. about 25 fenders went for $80.00 total! A few years back in Elkton Va. Fenders went for $1-$10 each That wasent my best auction,but its in the Top 5
Have fun!
Wick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 10:20 AM   #15
fordcoupe

Good luck with your project i have put together a 1949 Harly Davidson from swapmeet original parts for around 1,100 way back in the 70's when parts are cheap to buy parts now it would cost 11,100 for original parts ie springer front end 40.00 now 1,000 + i'm working on enough model A parts to put one together not started out that way just spare parts to keep my coupe/truck running wife says i'm out of control but parts are parts never know what you will need
fordcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 11:28 AM   #16
Petty Cash

I started with a frame and a roadster cowl. Then I found a guy that hot rodded a restored car and bought a front and rear end. Then I found some doors and roadster pickup quarters. Then a bed and fenders. Then a nice running engine. I bet I have less than $1,500.00 in it as is. It has been a long drawn out process but I'm ready to test drive the chassis now.

Good luck Flop it's kind of fun.

Last edited by Petty Cash; 05-08-2013 at 11:33 AM.
Petty Cash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 12:23 PM   #17
Tom Wesenberg

Petty Cash, that's a rare engine you have with the water inlet and generator on the right side of the block.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 12:48 PM   #18
Mikeinnj

Smile Re: Canfield is making me build a Roadster! Can I build it from swap meet only parts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
Petty Cash, that's a rare engine you have with the water inlet and generator on the right side of the block.
Tom - as your sharp eyes noticed, the photo was "reversed" or as they say in the publishing business, it was "flopped". Perhaps he felt a need to flop the photo because he was replying to "Flop".
Mikeinnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 12:53 PM   #19
Ross/Kzoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
That's an old eBay trick. Got a damaged 1/4 panel? Take a picture of the good 1/4 and flop the photo. LOL
Ross/Kzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 01:06 PM   #20
Petty Cash

I tried to edit it but can't. It is correct on my phone and the photo bucket account? Sorry.