Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-03-2020, 03:01 PM   #1
Will N

Default Rear backing plate/brake installation Les Andrews instructions

Is it just me, or is it impossible to install the assembled rear brake backing plate onto the axle the way that Les Andrews describes in his red manual? Les calls for installing the parking brake lever before installing the backing plate. I tried for about an hour, and there is no way that I could find to get the parking brake lever and the service brake lever through the fork in the radius rod. I took the parking brake lever off, and it slipped right on.

I should have known better than to follow those directions because in the disassembly instructions, Les calls for removing the parking brake lever while the backing plate is still on the car. Could I have an early edition that Les corrected in later editions?
Will N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 04:28 PM   #2
aermotor

Default Re: Rear backing plate/brake installation Les Andrews instructions

The backing plate can be installed with the brake lever installed in the plate. It does take some twisting and turning along with holding your mouth right, but it will go on.

John
aermotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 07:31 PM   #3
Norm M

For me, the easiest way to install the rear backing plates as an assembled unit is to remove the rear radius rods, install the rear two bolts then attach the radius rods and the front two bolts on each.
Norm M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 07:03 AM   #4
Will N

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm M View Post
For me, the easiest way to install the rear backing plates as an assembled unit is to remove the rear radius rods, install the rear two bolts then attach the radius rods and the front two bolts on each.

That might make sense if you are building a chassis up from scratch, and it might be what Les had in mind when he wrote those instructions. But for doing a brake job on an assembled car, it makes more sense to just to put the parking brake lever on afterward.

Aermotor, It would be a service to the hobby and vindication of Les Andrews if you can post an instructional video showing how to snake those two levers through the fork in the radius rod.
Will N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 11:35 AM   #5
aermotor

[QUOTE=. Aermotor, It would be a service to the hobby and vindication of Les Andrews if you can post an instructional video showing how to snake those two levers through the fork in the radius rod.[/QUOTE

It has been awhile since I have done this but if I recall I installed the cam shaft and service brake actuating rod onto the backing plate than installed the backing plate WITHOUT the E brake arm. Then I installed the E brake arm and retracing spring - which presents the problem of hooking the return spring to the E brake actuating arm. The spring can be pulled into position with a hook on a long welding rod with some way to pull, like a loop on the welding rod or vice grips. It is not real difficult but don't practice by putting the actuating arms on the wrong side and having to go back and do it over. Keep in mind that all springs in the brake system are loaded for brake release - your foot overcomes all of them.
Sorry - no video but it will work.

John

Last edited by aermotor; 07-04-2020 at 12:07 PM. Reason: deleted sentence
aermotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 11:26 AM   #6
31Tudor

Quote:
This is the way I have had the most luck, even on an assembled car. I have spent so much time trying to assemble the emergency brake arm and re-hook the spring back on, that for me it is so simple to put the whole assembled unit on, and then put the radius rods back on, one bolt and done.
31Tudor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 03:34 PM   #7
160B

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 31Tudor View Post
This is the way I have had the most luck, even on an assembled car. I have spent so much time trying to assemble the emergency brake arm and re-hook the spring back on, that for me it is so simple to put the whole assembled unit on, and then put the radius rods back on, one bolt and done.
I prefer to remove the rear radius rods and install the backing plates with the emergency return spring in place.

If you don't have time to do it right the 1st time, how do you have time to do it the 2nd time?
160B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 12:25 AM   #8
Bill G

I resisted removing the rear radius rods, but between getting the e-brake return spring on its lever and then getting the whole assembly back on, I came to the conclusion that removing the radius rods was by far the easiest way. I remove them one at a time, install the plate and then reinstall the radius rod and them move on to the other one.
Bill G is offline   Reply With Quote