Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-07-2015, 12:00 PM   #1
DadOfTwo

Default Gas tank storage prior to cleaning / sealing with o2 absorber

Hi all,

I've done some simple searches, and will continue to search the archives, but in the mean-time if someone has comments or can point me to a particular thread or post, I appreciate it.

At some point I need to clean and coat the inside of my gas tank, but it's going to be a while. I'm searching the forums to find the best method, and saving up money, but in the mean time I want to try to keep it from getting any worse.

Obviously I want to drain it. Then to limit ongoing rust I was thinking of 'hermetically' sealing the tank with a sacrificial metal inside. Kind of like zincs on a boat*.

From what I understand those pocket hand warmers contain iron filings. When you expose them to oxygen they generate heat. And in the process consume oxygen.

Some survivalists / prepper types put hand warmers in with their sealed up food to absorb the oxygen and help preserve the food.

Why wouldn't that work in a gas tank to impede the rusting process?

Obviously I would need to plan for a way to remove the sacrificial metal easily later.

And if you've read this far... I have a bunch of 0000 steel wool. Instead of buying handwarmers I may put some damp steel wool in a vented container that will fit in the tank.

*I do realize the marine example is galvanic corrosion, so not a perfect analogy.