Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-28-2014, 11:39 AM   #1
Bruce/CT

Default Annoying e-bay vendors

Hi Barners,
A short while ago I saw a post here or maybe on HAMB about how to get annoying vendors eliminated doing a search on E-bay. I often run a search as "1936 Ford". The past year or so it is loaded with stuff that's not for the search topic but car related. It is so annoying that I have stopped going to E-bay.
The post went through the process of how to eliminate specific sellers.
Can anyone send me to that information?
Thank you in advance!
Bruce/CT
Old 07-28-2014, 11:54 AM   #2
Rowdy
BANNED

Default Re: Annoying e-bay vendors

I would use "1936" Ford and toggle the settings on the left hand side to "Used". That gets rid of most of the repop, modern and hot rod parts. Or simlpy use "1936" Flathead Ford in the search to get rid of some of the other stuff. Rod
Rowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 12:46 PM   #3
35fordtn

Usually add in the words original or NOS in the search as well and that filters out the crap.
35fordtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 01:06 PM   #4
BrianCT

On the same subject, I used to be able to search the vintage parts category for
multiple years like 1932-48. Can anyone still do that?
Old 07-28-2014, 01:07 PM   #5
JM 35 Sedan

I have a couple items on ebay watch and 9 out of 10 email notices I get on these items are something entirely different than what I am watching for. The guys selling on ebay will add things in the title of there ad that are highly sought after, like '32 Ford, 3w coupe, Ardun, Thickstun, Offy, etc., to get as many viewing hits as possible for their muffler clamps/widgets. I have sent messages about this to ebay and they could care less.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 02:06 PM   #6
ford38v8

It would help everyone if there was a box to enter key words you don't want. I know they have that capability, I've seen it on other websites.
Old 07-28-2014, 02:23 PM   #7
BillLee/Chandler, TX

You can enter words to NOT find by preceding them with a dash. E.g., -chevrolet to eliminate the riff-raff. :-)
Old 07-28-2014, 04:11 PM   #8
Barry-ct

Also at the bottom right corner of the search page results is a line that says " Was this search helpful?" Click no. It comes up with a new page and has the usual " not effective, somewhat effective, etc... " and a box below to tell them what you think. I blasted them about the problems and how the vendors get around their restrictions. Everyone should do the same. If we blast them enough, maybe they'll change the way stuff is listed and/ or category listings.
Just a thought.........

50 F-1
Barry-ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 08:54 PM   #9
paul2748

Click on "Advanced " at the right of the blue "search" rectangle.

Then enter your search topic in the search place.

Underneath you will see a space for words to exclude. Type in "fits"

This will eliminate all those annoying nuts, bolts, spacers and other unrelated items.
paul2748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 10:09 PM   #10
RPM

Let's say you want to see some 1940 Ford stuff. Type '1940 Ford -toyota' and you will get rid of 10,000 items that "fit" your 40, but.....there will be 1500 real Henry parts left.... unless you want steering wheel covers, fuzzy dice, sheepskin seat covers, etc. Leave a space before the minus sign. If I run into an annoying seller who has posted, lets say, 25-50 magazine articles, I look for his key word (usually 'info") and go back to top and put a minus info after the -toyota. Each deletion requires hitting the space bar and then a minus sign before the word to be deleted from search. You can add an entire string of minus words to get down to the real meat and potatoes. Each time you eliminate, check to see how many items are left. You will be amazed and have some fun. Most of all, you won't be wasting time.
RPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 06:39 AM   #11
jimTN

Barry has a great suggestion. I have been complaining about the sign venders on the V8 and model t search and finally got some results. It is actually against fbay rules to load misleading titles.
jimTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 07:01 AM   #12
oj

The easiest way to get rid of the store stuff is to click on 'auction', all those signs & steeringwheel knobs etc will disappear.
oj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 08:52 AM   #13
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Tried some of these ideas and they work, however because of the way some items are listed I think it takes several different searches using different search options to be sure you are not blocking something you are interested in. Still, this approach is a BIG help in eliminating unwanted ads.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 09:06 AM   #14
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford38v8 View Post
It would help everyone if there was a box to enter key words you don't want. I know they have that capability, I've seen it on other websites.
Um, there is...
Old 07-29-2014, 09:08 AM   #15
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM View Post
Let's say you want to see some 1940 Ford stuff. Type '1940 Ford -toyota' and you will get rid of 10,000 items that "fit" your 40, but.....there will be 1500 real Henry parts left.... unless you want steering wheel covers, fuzzy dice, sheepskin seat covers, etc. Leave a space before the minus sign. If I run into an annoying seller who has posted, lets say, 25-50 magazine articles, I look for his key word (usually 'info") and go back to top and put a minus info after the -toyota. Each deletion requires hitting the space bar and then a minus sign before the word to be deleted from search. You can add an entire string of minus words to get down to the real meat and potatoes. Each time you eliminate, check to see how many items are left. You will be amazed and have some fun. Most of all, you won't be wasting time.
I did this a long time ago. Amongst other things I'd deleted all the matchbox, hotwheels, 1/24, 1-24, 1/43, 1-43, etc. You guys get the idea. Now I don't need to look at 12 zillion hotwheel '40 Fords.